Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 06:35:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341043 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  A Shining Force Rant
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Shining Force Rant  (Read 3316 times)
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2006, 01:28:39 PM »

(Kinda spoilers in here.  I guess.  ...Maybe.  Depends on what your view of what a spoiler is.)

I have been playing the GBA remake of Shining Force and I have to say, Mawlock is a totally unbalanced character.  He makes a simple remake ven more simple.

At first when I heard that the SF remake would harbor a "card system", I groaned cause OMFG PSO EPISODE THREE.  ^______^  But hey, it didn't end up being like Magic: The gathering, so hey.  Hey.

So I find out that this new character named Mawlock would use cards kinda like spells.  And he needs to collect the cards from various sources.

Okay, that's not too bad.  Kinda reminds me of Persona and tarot card collecting for spells.

So I actually USE Mawlock on my second playthrough, and WTF!  He has the ability to make a character on a card move twice EVERY ROUND.  I had prior believed that it was just a one round thing, but when Tao ended up getting two turns EVERY round.

Everything falls to blaze.

GOODBYE MISTER RUNE KNIGHT YOU DIE IN THREE SECONDS.

Anyway, on the replay, Mawlock joins you before battle one and you keep all your cards from the previous playthrough, so you can start giving several characters two turns a round.

Now, this is a great way to level up characters.  In fact, I use this ability every time I level up.  But wow oh wow, how this can cheapen your game mechanics if you actually use the guy every battle.

Imagine Zylo killing two baddies followed by Tao using Blaze 2 on a group of enemies TWICE then Max kinng two baddies then Anri wiping up he mess with a generous dual casting of Freeze 2.

UH OHS EVERYTHING DEADED.

I mean, the remake is simple as it is, but Mawlock's level of being cheap makes it even easier.  Now don't get me wrong, the game is still fun and great, but a bit of challenge would be fun.  Like, give me a valid USE for Mawlock.  And playing the game through six times so the difficulty cranks up is not what I mean.

If they remake SFII in a similar fashion with a mechanic like Mawlock, I really hope they keep the original option to choose a difficulty level.

Thoughts?

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 02:05:20 PM »

God you're hot right now.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 03:19:32 PM »

So he's even more overpowered than an overleveled Arthur?  I remember power leveling him to 20 (or so, I think I stopped when he could kill his boss leveling buddy in one regular hit :P) before promoting him and he could pretty much wipe out every map by himself with those crazy stat gains he starts getting.  Although he did need a heal or two by chapter 8. :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 05:51:06 PM »

Well, Arthur takes a lot to get to his cheesiness overpoweredness.  I mean, promoting a weak as Hell knight up to level 20 takes a lot of work.  I mean, when everyone else has big fuck off steel and chrome weapons, while Arthur has...  A Power Spear.  :P

At least it takes some effort for Arthur.  Mawlock is just there.

And Dade, I am piercing my nipples and getting you tattoed on my butt as we speak.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »

He did make the game quite a bit easier than it could have been (I never played the original.)

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 06:14:36 PM »

For an SRPG to be fun, it should be challenging without being cheap. RotDD was not. With the exception of the Laser Eye battle, I didn't have to worry about battle tactics or strategy. Every battle boiled down to me moving soldiers to the enemies as fast as possible, without regard for support or position.

Safe to say, I neve finished RotDD.
Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 11:27:03 AM »

NO SYN.

Finish it at least.  There are some points that are really fun.  Like the battle with Chaos.  And there are some fun story events later on.

Now as for every battle being a rush, that's another thing.  Trying to get the battle trophy every battle turned the game from a strategic masterpiece to a...  Move everyone as fast as you can to the end of the battle so you can get the items.

And that is so not the way I play.  I almost wanna play the original SF now, so I can have a bit of a challenge.

SRPGs aren't fun if you have to disregard the STRATEGY aspect.

Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 05:23:39 PM »

on a different tangent, I remember playing through Shining Force 2 on the Genesis and remembering:

Code:
Master Monks were very very overpowered considering Karna and Shiela could very easily get to level 99 as soon as you got them by exploiting thier boost spell (49 expirience per turn by casting on allies. Sarah was the only legit mastermonk if you promoted her... poor sarah)
Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 07:08:26 PM »

Ah, but see.

Code:
I equipped Sarah with a Protect Ring, which you can use like Boost.  And thusly had her use that on five folks at a time for 25 exp.  I managed to get her to level 69 or 79 this way.

I use all three Master Monks in my games.  And thusly everything dies.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: