Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:27:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334652 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Game of the Year Pack)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Game of the Year Pack)  (Read 2171 times)
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2007, 04:13:42 AM »

Ok so, I have never played any of the Elder Scrolls games, but I'm getting a PS3 for my birthday soon. Since it'll be a 40gb model (with no backwards compatibility) I'm buying a game right away to come with it and while checking around titles like Folklore, Heavenly Sword and some others, I found this one and remembered reading briefly about it here as a major Western RPG and all. Since I won't be buying several games per month (I don't even have time to play that much), I thought I would stick for a game that had lots of replayability and/or lasted a long time. Above everything, it needs to be a FUN experience :P
So I'm curious, is it worth it? Are the graphics really good on PS3? (I'm a visually impressed-kind of person) What about the gameplay? Does battling gets boring easily there? Or the enemies' AI make it always "surprising"?

And lastly, would it be worth taking it instead of Virtua Fighter 5? (I like fighting games too, after all, and they always have replayability thx to Versus XD)

Well, thanks a lot in advance!

P.S: Hey Pattrick/Ramza/Tonelico >.< Sorry I never got back to you on the FFXI topic, I have been really busy irl but I didn't forget about it :/
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:53:37 AM »

Oblivion is a great game and certainly one worth getting. It's immensely long and you'll almost always have something to do, and while replaying the game could be boring after the second or third time, one character is able to do pretty much everything in the game. Definitely worth getting.

As for VF5, get it for 360 if you have one. It's supposed to be a lot better (ie. it uses the latest arcade revision of the game, more items, etc.), and it has online play. If you don't or never intend to have a 360 though, then it's also a great game for PS3.

Another game that you might want to look out for is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. That's coming out in about 2 weeks and it looks fantastic. Action/Adventure game in the vein of Tomb Raider by Naughty Dog, the people who made Crash and Jak and Daxter.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »

If you have a good enough PC, go for that version, since you'll be able to get mods to fix the flaws it has.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 09:42:13 AM »

Quote from: "Ventrue"
P.S: Hey Pattrick/Ramza/Tonelico >.< Sorry I never got back to you on the FFXI topic, I have been really busy irl but I didn't forget about it :/

LOL.

Feel free to get back to me about it then. :P

Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 04:38:38 PM »

Quote from: "superflat"
Oblivion is a great game and certainly one worth getting. It's immensely long and you'll almost always have something to do, and while replaying the game could be boring after the second or third time, one character is able to do pretty much everything in the game. Definitely worth getting.

As for VF5, get it for 360 if you have one. It's supposed to be a lot better (ie. it uses the latest arcade revision of the game, more items, etc.), and it has online play. If you don't or never intend to have a 360 though, then it's also a great game for PS3.

Another game that you might want to look out for is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. That's coming out in about 2 weeks and it looks fantastic. Action/Adventure game in the vein of Tomb Raider by Naughty Dog, the people who made Crash and Jak and Daxter.
Thanks a lot man. I'm having a hard time deciding which game to pick, really. Folklore has beautiful graphics, but I don't know how long does it or if it has any replayability. Uncharted catched my eye, seems like it's a long adventure which is nice though the genre isn't exactly my favorite, I prefer something more action-oriented I guess. Elder Scrolls IV seems awesome, and I hope the long-play doesn't get too repetitive like in some other games of the western rpg genre.
And then there's a lot of other options too >.< What to do what to do!
Virtua Fighter 5... well, I don't have an X-Box 360. And now that you mentioned online playing (not necessarily from VF5, but a general question), my PS3 is Japanese, can I play with americans if my games are US?
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:08:39 PM »

Oblivion's pretty repetitive, yeah.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:18:35 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Oblivion can be pretty repetitive, yeah.

Fixed.

Just as long as you keep yourself busy with the main quests (i.e. main plot, guild quests, not the stupid side quests that random people give you) you shouldn't get bored. Granted, there is something cool about being able to run around and discover stuff, but the Main and Guild quests are where it's at.

As for PS3 online, I don't have a definite answer for you. I know that Resistance has international online play, but I think that it's game specific. You don't really get a PS3 for a robust online feature set though.
Ventrue

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 04:09:20 AM »

Quote from: "superflat"

As for PS3 online, I don't have a definite answer for you. I know that Resistance has international online play, but I think that it's game specific. You don't really get a PS3 for a robust online feature set though.
Hehe that's true, I was just curious, those "just in case" kind of things. ^^ Ended up picking Ninja Gaiden Sigma and a friend who is in US right now is going to bring me Virtua Fighter 5 it seems. I was watching the review trailers on gametrailers.com and NGS really catched my eye, Oblivion looked nice but seemed a bit static to me, I wanted something with flashy graphics for a good start I guess! Thanks a lot for all the help though mate :)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: