Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 12:11:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319082 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Music recommendation time; prog-metal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Music recommendation time; prog-metal  (Read 4004 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2006, 07:26:54 PM »

Hi all.  As my musical tastes become more defined I'm starting to more clearly define favorites.  Though I will still listen to anything from Disney to Death Metal, my fave musical genre has become prog-metal.  I love the intricate lush and sweeping arrangements with epic feels that almost remind me of video game or even classical music (but with a modern twist.)  

Here are the prog-metal artists I currently have represented on my iPod: Age of Nemesis, Ascension Theory, Cea Serin, Divinity Destroyed, Dream Theater/ Jordan Rudess, Mindflow, Pagan's Mind, Pain of Salvation, Shadow Gallery, Star One, Sun Caged, Symphony X, and if you count them as prog (personally, I think they're unclassifiable): Dysrhythmia, Behold the Arctopus, Devin Townsend.  I also have this song called "God is Dead" by Vision Divine and it is awesome.  

I'd like some recommendations for good prog-metal.  Something in the vein of say Symphony X, Divinity Destroyed, or my friends' band Roman Numeral 10 ( http://www.myspace.com/romannumeral10 ).  Lush keyboards, loads of guitar, soaring vocals, you know the drill, though perhaps with a more American flavor since the prog-metal bands I most gravitate to are American (i.e. DT, SX, DD, RN10, SG...)

I know many of you here are prog-heads, so I thought I'd ask for recommendations here.

I approve of this nonsense!
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:46:09 PM »

I don't see Ayreon on that list.  But since I see Star One, I'll assume that you just forgot to add them. :P

I'll put a little thought into this and get back to you.

EDIT #1:  Adagio might be the sort of band you're looking for.  I particularly like the album "Underworld".

Nemmet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 08:22:15 PM »

You need to listen to some Opeth. Ghost Reveries is one hell of an album, but Blackwater Park is said to be their finest.

Also: Circus Maximus is good if you like Dream Theater, and Anathema if you want some atmospheric-type metal.
Sazabirules

xTheRedCometx
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 11:29:35 PM »

What is Pagan's Mind's best album because I want to buy one after hearing a few songs of theirs the first time last week?
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:01:00 AM »

Quote from: "Nemmet"
You need to listen to some Opeth.

That's true, but would you really classify them as prog metal?  I don't...I don't classify them as anything, really.  Opeth is Opeth. :P

But if Opeth counts, there's a band out there called Another Messiah.  They remind me of a cross between Tiamat and Opeth, particularly in terms of vocals...and with an oboe.  That's right. :P

You can hear their shit on their website.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 06:40:41 AM »

If you didn't forget them, definitely Ayreon, but like DR I'll presume you forgot :P

Perhaps try a band called Ark. I haven't heard all of it, but their 'Burn the Sun' album sounded brilliant. I'm going to get my hands on it very soon.

Also, Dead Soul Tribe are pretty good. I have their 'A Murder of Crows' album, and it's good stuff.

EDIT: Threshold are also pretty damn good. Their 'Critical Mass' album especially.

Samples of both can be heard at http://www.progarchives.com

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »

Sazabi- I don't have that much Pagan's Mind, but the majority of stuff I do have by them is off the Celestial Entrance album.  But I don't think you can go wrong with any of their albums.  

I'll have to listen to some of this stuff and get back to you all.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 07:39:21 AM »

Man, Neal, I've been checking out a few of those bands you listed and some sound really good, but it's bloody difficult to get hold of their stuff for a reasonable price/at all! CDBaby is OK, but because they'd be shipping it abroad the price goes up.

EDIT: It really is a bad idea to browse through CD-Baby! So many great sounding bands! I've been listening to samples of an instrumental album called 'Vortex Syndrome', and they all sound really great.

I had a stupid dream

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 11:15:07 AM »

How about Ars Nova?  I don't recall seeing anyone mentioning it so far, but if they did okay.  It's some crazy Japanese girl who really likes to do Jordan Rudess / Rick Wakeman style songs.  I totally recommend the Biogenesis album, cause it's great.

You might like Dimension F3H.  Dunno how Prog they'd be considered, but they are very much like Star One at times.

If you like Folk music at all, Skyclad might be fun too.  Not exactly Prog, but since they were the first Folk Metal band, you can say that's somewhat Progressive.  :P  Their The Answer Machine? album is fucking outstanding.  Some of the songs have a somewhat jazz feel to them along with the Metal and Folk aspects.

And finally, Borknagar.  They are Prog, Black Metal, Folk, Viking Metal all combined into one very excellent package.  Black Metal riffing one minute, acoustics the next.  Blast beats one minute, hammond the next.  Seriously, every song is an adventure, cause so much happens in the space of a few minutes.  If you try these guys out, get The Genuine Pulse.  You will be impressed.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 12:52:28 PM »

Three words...

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 02:46:14 PM »

Deg- thanks bunches for that prog archives link.  So many amazing bands there to sample.  

And yes Deg, CDBaby is quite an addictive site, isn't it?  It's via CDBaby that I even heard about Mindflow and Cea Serin.  

Bands I've sampled on that prog archives site:

Adagio- "Next Profundis" is a fantastic song.  At first I wasn't too fond of the vocalist, but I got used to him.  He's not a bad singer, but something about his voice just initially rubbed me the wrong way but I guess he's just an acquired taste.  Very classical sounding song, in general.  

Anathema- I listened to the song "Forgotten Hopes."  I love how atmospheric it is; the arrangements are complex and highly layered but everything breathes and has space.  And I'm digging the vocals.  I love how they're like British new wave/indie rock.   Killer.  It's like what would happen if the music I play with my band met the kind of prog-metal stuff I most enjoy listening to.  This is the kind of musical approach I want to bring to the Sullen Door table.  (Sullen Door= my band.)  

Ark- I listened to the song "Resurrection" and while the bassline and drumming in the intro are great, it felt kinda soulless.  The quieter verses are trying to be atmospheric, but it's not as skillful as Anathema.  

Circus Maximus- I listened to the song "Alive."  It's an alright song, but, it sounded as if they were trying a bit too hard to be like Dream Theater.  

Borknagar- I listened to the song "The Weight of Wind."  Losfer wasn't lying in his description.  I didn't get to hear any vocals in this one, though.  

Dead Soul Tribe- I listened to the song "Why."  The vocals kinda remind me of Tool in the verses, but I like this so much better than Tool before sounding like my friend's band S.I.G. ( http://www.myspace.com/sigband ) in the chorus.  I liked this song a lot.  It felt familiar but also unique.  

Liquid Tension Experiment- "Universal Mind" is one of the greatest things I have ever heard.  WOW!!!!!

Nightingale- I listened to "The Dreamreader."  The vocalist sounds kinda like a narrator in a horror film.  Cool.  The song sounds very 80s and is fast and upbeat.  I love it.  

Opeth- I listened to "The Drapery Falls."  The song was fantastic... until the guy started doing that Cookie Monster growling.  

Riverside- "I Turned You Down" is a good song, but doesn't quite compare with the excellent competition here

My personal favorites are the songs I heard by Anathema and Liquid Tension Experiment.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 03:42:05 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Nightingale- I listened to "The Dreamreader."  The vocalist sounds kinda like a narrator in a horror film.  Cool.  The song sounds very 80s and is fast and upbeat.  I love it.

Dan Swano!

He also sings on Star One.  And Edge of Sanity.  And Odyssey.  And Infestdead.  And...  More.

Anyway, you should give his solo album a try.  Moontower is it's name.  It's fucking excellent.  Very Prog, but with Death Metal vocals.  Although...  If you don't like Opeth's vocalist, you probably wouldn't like the vocals.  :P

Although you should listen to Edge of Sanity's Crimson and Crimson II.  True forty minute Prog epics.  Some Death Metal vocals, some clean vocals.  Lots of fun three guitar parts on the first album.  Keyboards.  Great lyrics and story telling.  Definately good stuff.

Oh, Into Eternity might be up your alley too.  Kinda like Dream Theater meets Cynic meets Iron Maiden with a bit of Metallica for spice.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 03:55:24 PM »

My old band's singer turned me on to a new band today:  Starbreaker.  I haven't listened to this cd in its entirety yet, but I like what I've heard so far.  The only real problem I have with it is that the singer's trying WAY too fucking hard to be Russel Allen.

Angra is another possibility, but I don't personally care for them.

EDIT:  And Fates Warning, of course.  They peaked quite a while back, but their early and mid-career stuff is nice.

EDIT #2:  I know what I don't recommend:  Queensryche's new sequel to "Operation:  Mindcrime".  Jesus Christ.  I feel robbed, and I got it for free.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 04:31:05 PM »

I agree about Starbreaker's vocalist.  He is trying waaay too hard.  

I have some Angra on my iPod and I do like them.  

I don't really like Queensryche.  

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about Fates Warning.  I had a copy of "A Pleasant Shade of Grey" at one point, but I don't know what happened to it.  Must've gotten lost in a move or something.  I'll have to rectify that, since I absolutely love that album.

"Divisions" by Heaven's Cry is a great song too.  I love how the guitars are often jangly and almost watery sounding.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 05:42:53 PM »

It's a shame you don't like Mikael Akerfeldt's (Opeth vocalist) growling, because Opeth really are an incredible band. If you get the chance, check out their Ghost Reveries album, the growling is pretty minimal. Or their Damnation album. It's not really a metal album, but has no growling, it's entirely their softer, more melodic side.

I had a stupid dream

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: