Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 05:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338604 Posts in 13861 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Your favorite glitches, what are they?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Your favorite glitches, what are they?  (Read 3305 times)
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2007, 07:41:27 PM »

This was inspired by a game of Majora's Mask (N64) I started up two nights ago. As soon as the intro cutscene had finished, I knew something was up. My screen went dark, Link fell through the ground, and I just heard his "Auuugggghhh!" scream, like something just killed him. A second later everything reappeared and I was in the beginning area, that forest you start out in, and I noticed something else: all three of my C buttons had the Ocarina of Time assigned to them. That's pretty weird, considering you're not even supposed to have it until a little ways into the game- and three?! So I checked my item select screen and was a little surprised by what I saw. I decided then to check my masks, and again was taken aback.

That whole situation was pretty weird, I thought, but I stuck with it. Kept playing and turned into a Deku kid and all that, went up through to the point where you meet the mask salesman and started that whole conversation. Everything was going pretty much as it should, except that immediately after he told me to get back my "precious item," he hoisted me into the air and started shaking me because I didn't get Majora's Mask back. The game totally bypassed that first section where you have to wander around as a Deku kid until you get to the skull kid and blah blah blah. It skipped the Song of Time and everything else and just kicked me right into the Song of Healing and having the Deku mask- all because I started the game with, basically, a lifetime's supply of Ocarinas of Time. So I walked out of the clocktower and Tatl (Link's little fairy) alludes to some conversation that had never happened- something about Tael telling her to go to the four corners of the world or something.

So I assumed I may as well try and play through as much of the game as I could without actually ever getting the Song of Time. Since I had the Deku mask already I could turn into normal Link any time I wanted, so that was handy. The first thing I did was try to leave Clock Town- which I did, because the guard recognized that I had a sword. Which he must have hallucinated.

I ran around out in Termina Field for a little while and ended up killing a couple of those flabby jelly things by throwing bushes at them. That's when two more curious thing happened: 1.) one bush fell apart to reveal some bombs, which I could pick up without a bomb bag (they replaced one of the Ocarinas in my inventory). 2.) another bush revealed arrows, which I could pick up but would not appear in my inventory.

Now, when you pick up bombs in Zelda, you pick up five at a time. So I figured I was in pretty good condition- I had five weapons to defend myself with (not having a shield or sword was still a little debilitating, however). I decided to try out my bombs on another jelly. I dropped one, hit the jelly, and successfully killed it. I tried to repeat this feat on another monster, but was unable to. It seemed that by dropping one bomb I lost all five.

I tried going to play the bomb game back in Clock Town, but the couple in charge wouldn't let me because I didn't have a bomb bag :l

Eventually I decided to see if I could get the Song of Time, because I was actually having a lot of fun with my FUBAR game. I ran to the Great Fairy's cave in Clock Town and headed to the center of the fountain and found myself lying face down in the dirt.

It seemed that the healing fairies, so useful in normal playthroughs, were now insatiable harbingers of death. They killed me just by flying nearby. It was ridiculous.

And then I realized why: I had no hearts.

This lead to a lot of fun side effects. Every time I touched a heart, I died. Every time I touched a fairy, I died. Every time I touched a heart piece, I died. Like I said before, it was ridiculous. I was playing Zelda on Legendary.

I worked my way through the game up to the point where you meet the Bombers. I did their whole spiel with the hide and seek minigame and was greatly disappointed to see my game freeze once I caught the last one. I wanted so bad to play through that game on Hard mode or whatever it was.

So that's my Greatest Glitch of All Time. You guys share yours.

[/url]
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:19:02 PM »

I call BS.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »

FFVI -- Vanish+X-Zone=WiN ...  super cheap:P

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »

Everluck...  Fucking cool.

I don't have anything like that, I just like walking on water in Shining Force II.  :P

Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:05:31 PM »

Hmm, it's not my own personal glitch but I did enjoy beating Mario 64 with only 16 stars. Abusing the heck out of that bunny was fun, but the backwards butt slide up the infinite stairs had my eyes glaze over at the awesomeness.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:58:41 AM »

Quote from: "Alexander"
Hmm, it's not my own personal glitch but I did enjoy beating Mario 64 with only 16 stars. Abusing the heck out of that bunny was fun, but the backwards butt slide up the infinite stairs had my eyes glaze over at the awesomeness.

yeah that video is rad.

My personal fav glitch is something that happened to me and has happened to no one else, as far as I know.

In FF III SNES (FFVI as we now know it, I was playing the original Super Nintendo version as an 11-year-old boy), I had an awesome glitch happen. I was going into the secret dungeon to get Gogo the mime. You know, the land eater sucks you up into a hidden dungeon?

WELL, all those hard-hat workers on that bridge were there to kick me off. And kick me off they did. Like 10 times as a matter of fact.

I got SO mad the last time they kicked me off, I started hitting the buttons on the controller like a madman, even throwing the controller.

Afterwards, I calmed down and went into the menu. I had taken a beating in a random encounter previous to the hard-hat bridge scenario, and wanted to make sure my mp was alright.

I want into my inventory, and I had 99 of every item in the game. No joke. In fact, I may have had 255 of every item. Some items appeared as "00" as their stock, and after I used a LOT of them eventually the number would decrease to 99. I had that uber shield that taught you how to cast ultima, and I taught it to every party member I had. I let Shadow throw ragnarok and every other decent weapon to his heart's content for the rest of the game.

It was my first playthrough of FFIII. I didn't use a game genie, but it was basically the same thing. Best glitch that ever happened to me.

I've never been able to duplicate it, and again, I've NEVER heard of anyone else having this experience. All I can say is, the next time you see someone mashing buttons, don't reprimand them: they may be onto something.

Ramza

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 01:06:08 AM »

dubble post!

in the vein of my last post, there are a LOT of games with item duplication glitches. Final Fantasy IV let you replicate weapons by swapping them out of Edge's hands. Two-handed, then one-handed, then just sub-hand ... some weird combination. You ended up making more weapons.

And then there was a REALLY easy way to get 255 items in Wild Arms for PS1. You just had to use an item, with which you had 1 in stock, twice in one turn. It would go 0, then up to 255. Hurray!

Also, the "attack" "cancel" thing in the ORIGINAL FF2 for NES to build up skill points was godly.

Ramza

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 04:28:25 AM »

I don't remember exactly what I did in Ogre Tactics: The Knight of Lodis, but I think it involved cloning a zombie angel knight (angel knight died, I resurrected it, I think...) and then snapping the clone to get a Snapdragon sword.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:21:10 AM »

Ugh, sorry, I can't stand the broken URL links. I'll read the original post when/if those get fixed.

I really can't remember too many glitches that came up on me, but I'm going to put the one I had in Bioshock down.
Code:
I killed Cohen, which normally deprives me of a weapon upgrade station... Except I went to his apartment and he was alive ANYWAY. I didn't know about this until after I cleared it, so it seemed amusing to me that I kill him, snap a picture of his corpse, but he manages to just pop up towards the end of the game just fine. I think this was caused by being instantly killed by a Big Daddy I must've hit by mistake at the same time as Cohen then killing Cohen after I was brought back with that same Big Daddy's help. He had the mask back on that he removed after I came back to life, which may've been an indication the game was screwing up on me.

Oh, now I remember another one! Somehow royally fucking up in LttP and being teleported from inside Turtle Rock to Ganon's Tower, with the Turtle Rock tileset still in effect. I never did get out of there so I couldn't save my progress from this fuck up.

Edit: Editing in the spoiler message.
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 05:24:29 AM »

The Missing No. glitch from Pokemon Red and Blue will always have a place in my heart. It was just so freakin' twisted. I still don't really understand how exactly people managed to discover that glitch, let alone abuse it, but it was definately fun to play around with.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 06:06:23 AM »

Quote from: "Sketch"
The Missing No. glitch from Pokemon Red and Blue will always have a place in my heart. It was just so freakin' twisted. I still don't really understand how exactly people managed to discover that glitch, let alone abuse it, but it was definately fun to play around with.

That's the first one that came to my head as well. I abused the crap out of it once I had finished the game and just wanted a laugh :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:25:02 PM »

oh yes... DUPE THAT MASTER POKEBALL!

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 01:18:35 PM »

My favorite was that glitch in Final Fantasy II where you could make copies of your weapons by unequipping and reequipping them in battle in a certain fashion.  I abused that shit way too much, and I have no doubt that the increased difficulty I found in the GBA port was solely because I didn't have an unlimited numbers of Excaliburs for Edge to chuck at everything. :P

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 01:45:12 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"
My favorite was that glitch in Final Fantasy II where you could make copies of your weapons by unequipping and reequipping them in battle in a certain fashion.  I abused that shit way too much, and I have no doubt that the increased difficulty I found in the GBA port was solely because I didn't have an unlimited numbers of Excaliburs for Edge to chuck at everything. :P

Hey i do the exact same thing in Final Fantasy Tactics!

Oh and the last half of Chapter 4 is insanely fun to build up classes when you have Ramza as Knight with Two Swords equipped with Excalibur. He moves fast, then just start spamming Yell at everyone.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 02:02:33 PM »

I enjoyed exploiting glitches in Sonic Adventure.  Also the series of weird events that come with Banjo Kazooie

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: