Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 04:04:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327204 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  For everyone who once said, "FFXI sucks, you can't solo
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: For everyone who once said, "FFXI sucks, you can't solo  (Read 16139 times)
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2007, 08:58:30 AM »

...meet Avesta.  A small sample of his solo resume:

~ Rise of the Zilart ~
Avesta vs. "Last Boss" (Spoilers)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrR_qQ_TJvs (14:59)

~ Sky ~
Avesta vs. Zipacna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFdyfI_EyyE (12:42)

Avesta vs. Seiryu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LtYqqdoJiQ (25:00)

~ NMs ~
Avesta vs. Ancient Goobue
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05RH3gwkvoo (32:42)

Avesta vs. Cactrot Rapido
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2aPLWB1coE (30:59)

Avesta vs. Cemetary Cherry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7kGbBOTYo (10:23)

Avesta vs. Charybdis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEp9lO2nhFY (16:05)

Avesta vs. Hakutaku
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw5aRdCR4Z8 (10:36)

Avesta vs. Ungur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPuh1n0GX-U (7:25)

These end-game enemies, generally speaking, require 6-18 "normal" Level 75s to take down.  Avesta can win, all on his own, battles that /entire Linkshells/ often fail.  Take that, haters. :P

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:40:21 PM »

Doesn't work on my warrior :P
AoE

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 05:22:12 PM »

To be fair, that's only on one job and that guy's been playing for an incredibly long time. I'll stop there so I don't rain on anyone's parade. ;p

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.
Nede - Mithra | Windurst - Rank 10 | Fairy
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 07:12:38 PM »

Don't worry, it's cynicism. ;)  Just wanted to share the new videos, his accomplishment list has grown substantially since the last time I checked.

Only RDM can do this, and obviously, Avesta has full RDM Merits and most (if not all) of the best gear in the game for the job.  Regardless though, the "you can't solo in FFXI" argument is so ridiculously outdated now, since a good number of the jobs (BLM, BLU, BST, DRG, NIN, PUP, RDM) can solo easily, and a few more (COR, SMN, THF, WHM) can definitely hold their own in a solo fight, given the right mob and the right gear.  That's 11/18 jobs, right there... I've never heard of any great BRD, DRK, MNK, PLD, RNG, SAM, or WAR solo feats, but hey, maybe they exist too!

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »

I have absolutely NO idea whats going on here, but thats crazy that someone can actually do that by themselves.  Makes me wanna try this out even more haha, course I hope the fact that I dont know japanese at all wont affect my grouping with any JP players...dunno how good the one translation system or whatever they have is.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
ShiningHero

Lawlerabs

lightbreakerec@hotmail.com Blazeddc
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 12:20:20 AM »

FFXI and soloing are two words that should never be put together. :o Seriously, I understand certain jobs such as blm can solo off of pets for decent exp however those spots are usually taken by the hardcore NA/JP/EU player who has chosen to monopolize camp. This game really needs an update to enable players to level if they choose by themselves or even duo, hell trio would work too. The NPC system released quite some time back was supposed to make it easier but nothing really changed. NPCs are only out for a short period of time not to mention they cut down the exp you receive. The only thing I see people use NPCs for is for the buff and cures for the short duration they are out. One of the reason I'm not playing this game right now, just too party oriented. Everything revolves around a party and it has remained that way since May of 2002. If I had a stab at fixing it I would remove  the time constraint from npc. Allowing them to remain out as long as you choose to solo. Of course I would agree to nerf the heal and buffing portion of the npc, maybe making it melee only npc. Probably needs a lot more tweaking but I'm sure it is a start. D:

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »

Quote from: "ShiningHero"
FFXI and soloing are two words that should never be put together. :o Seriously, I understand certain jobs such as blm can solo off of pets for decent exp however those spots are usually taken by the hardcore NA/JP/EU player who has chosen to monopolize camp. This game really needs an update to enable players to level if they choose by themselves or even duo, hell trio would work too.

What are you talking about? They recently incorporated a SIGNIFICANT exp bonus for people that are in trios (or groups of four) and put signet on. The problem is that people are so used to going out in full parties of six that they don't consider the option of playing with LESS people. But you can EASILY go from 10 to 75 with smaller groups (3 or 4) in a variety of job combinations. In fact, at this point, I would recommend doing just that.

Ramza

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:37:24 AM »

double-post to talk about OP.

Yeah, Avesta's pretty ridiculous. And also a huge jerk, I'm told.

But I don't think people fail at those NMs anymore Shiggy. Let me know if you see anyone wipe to Seiryu, because I'm pretty sure all the sky NMs (barring Kirin) are considered pushovers at this point. Well, Byakko is a pain too, but he's not a problem for a good team of 6~12 players.

What I'd really like to see is

Code:
someone solo 6-4 in CoP. You know the ultima/omega airship battle...

If someone could do that, they could charge big gil to n00bs who want to leech the win.

Also, WHM/NIN is an awesome solo job. I solo the DC and EM mobs in sea all the time as WHM/NIN.

Ramza

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:10:32 AM »

Wow, those soloing videos were painfully long. o_O

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:20 AM »

These are soloing videos of super-boss monsters that usually require a big team.

As far as soloing to level up goes, a pretty big handful of jobs can solo from about 50-75 in Movalpolis off certain Beastmaster Pets. You can actually get anywhere from 3k-8k xp an hour soloing off these things depending on your skill level and equip, so the game is a lot more solo-friendly than ever.

You have to know what the hell you're doing though, obviously. :P
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 06:08:59 PM »

so how does proving that you can beat the bosses in FFXI with 1 person show that its a good game? Sounds like some pathetic bosses to me, and sounds like square isnt keeping the game balanced.

At the same time though, I would be freakin stoked if I killed a boss by myself.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 06:30:08 PM »

Quote from: "PKProductions"
so how does proving that you can beat the bosses in FFXI with 1 person show that its a good game?

I said that the "no soloing" argument against Final Fantasy XI's player friendliness has been invalidated over the years, a result of the many enhancements SE has made to the game.  I don't see "soloing bosses = good game!" anywhere in this thread.

Quote from: "PKProducations"
Sounds like some pathetic bosses to me, and sounds like square isnt keeping the game balanced.

Sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about, heh.  Have you even /played/ the game, let less experienced any of the aforemtioned bosses at the end of the road?

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:32:19 PM »

so how does proving that you can beat the bosses in FFXI with 1 person show that its a good game? Sounds like some pathetic bosses to me, and sounds like square isnt keeping the game balanced.

At the same time though, I would be freakin stoked if I killed a boss by myself.

Nope, these bosses are tough as nails. If it wasn't a great accomplishment nobody would make a big deal about him, heh.

Avesta's really a one-of-a-kind player, though. He's just showing how badassed he is at soloing. :P
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 11:23:02 PM »

I still have my launch copy of the game from back in 2003 when I first started playing it on PC. Didnt really like it much, but its definatley a hardcore level grinder. i am sure its changed alot since then, but if only I still cared about it, then I might start playing it again, I dont. MMORPGs dont really do it for me, and never did honestly.

But yeah, I noticed that this person doing these things was a japanese dude, that I can believe actually. I never faught any of these bosses, so I cant tell how difficult they are, but its insane if 1 person defeated them, if they are as hard as you say.

Maybe it was just that I played this game on launch, and things were only just getting started, but I still felt the gameplay in FFXI was not up to par, and I hated the battles and constant de-leveling. I hated that the control scheme changes from running mode to battle mode, and you are stuck circling around you enemy mindlessly attacking, thats pretty much what killed the game for me, you cant easily run from the enemies, they chase you for far too long, the battles dont allow for enough strategy (or none at all) like ambushing an enemy, and the agro is abysimaly brutal. Like I said I started playing this game when it first came out, I can only hope its gotten better since then (hell maybe I just sucked at the game) dont know but I didnt like it very much aside from its stunning graphics.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »

Maybe it was just that I played this game on launch, and things were only just getting started, but I still felt the gameplay in FFXI was not up to par, and I hated the battles and constant de-leveling. I hated that the control scheme changes from running mode to battle mode, and you are stuck circling around you enemy mindlessly attacking, thats pretty much what killed the game for me, you cant easily run from the enemies, they chase you for far too long, the battles dont allow for enough strategy (or none at all) like ambushing an enemy, and the agro is abysimaly brutal. Like I said I started playing this game when it first came out, I can only hope its gotten better since then.

1.  If you were "constantly de-leveling," then you were definitely doing something wrong.

2.  "Circling around the enemy." - Is completely pointless.  Why were you doing that? :P  This sounds like one of the things which resulted in your "constant de-leveling," heh.

3.  "Battles don't allow for enough strategy." - How do you know?  From how you talk about the game, it sounds like you never made it beyond Level 15.  Like all RPGs/MMORPGs, the mechanics start simple and then become increasingly complicated as you progress through the game.

4.  "No ambushing enemies." - Ever heard of the abilities "Sneak Attack" and "Trick Attack"?  Or the spells "Sneak" and "Invisible"?  There's plenty of "stealthy" content, it's virtually /required/ in most missions and endgame activities.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: