Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 05:53:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319009 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  For everyone who once said, "FFXI sucks, you can't solo
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: For everyone who once said, "FFXI sucks, you can't solo  (Read 15392 times)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »

Whoa. That got really long, really fast.

Stephen,

No, I haven't played WoW. I've watched friends play WoW for hours on end. And I'm not impressed. I also think it's ugly as sin.

You're right, SE did bury their heads in the sand. They just released a "hint" video for Absolute Virtue after 2 years of *zero* success. And people still haven't figured it out. And I hate that ... but there's more for me to like than for me to hate. And that's why I stick with it.

Also, the "Wings of the Goddess" content is tons of fun, and doesn't necessarily require you having uber lvl 75 job action. I think they learned a lot with the guinea pig that was "Besieged."

Raze,

Have you fought any of the "Jailers" in sea? Most of them require some form of kiting, and there are three in particular in which you kite in a circular room. Melees get a chance to hit once or twice as the kite runs across ... just like the mages and ranged hitters. In one fight, there's an enemy that randomly changes its weakness from blunt to slash to pierce, and is immune to all other attacks during that time. This requires a diverse set of players to come to the fight, and it works really well.

I've watched the 40-man battles for WoW on YouTube. And frankly, I think the endgame boss challenges in FFXI are straight up *better.* I love those kinds of fights. And not just gear-dropping HNM stuff. Anyone who's done the last mission for Aht Urhgan
Code:
The Alexander fight
has seen TRUE challenge ... the kind that requires good planning, good leadership, and attentive players.

Ramza

Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2008, 09:01:35 PM »

My dad can beat up your dad.

No way, my dad is the best.

Pshaw...my dad is way better than yours.

Wanna see my penis?

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
I also think it's ugly as sin.

You gotta be kidding me. If WoW looks ugly as sin.....what does that make FFXI?

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2008, 10:12:16 PM »

I guess I'll just talk about a few things that make me prefer FFXI over WoW.

First off, FFXI has a lot more "hardcore" content, but people mistake that as a sign that its not accessible to the more casual player. To be honest, it's just as easy to spend a crap load of time on WoW, the only difference is that you might get more bang for your buck (As far as sheer number of loot). After all, there are only 24 hours in a day and both games has the same amount of people spending all of those hours just playing the game.

I wouldn't describe myself as a hardcore player, but I wouldn't consider myself a casual player either. I've made less progress in the game since launch than some people have been able to do in less than half the amount of time I've played (Ramza is one of these people I believe). The argument that WoW is more casual than FFXI is only true to the extent that it takes less time to get an item- but you're doing the same thing, going at a predetermined time by a group of people (LS or Guild), doing the same thing every time with little variety (Depending on what kind of LS/Guild it is), and then you'll get items.

One thing about FFXI having a better community though- its true to some extent, only because its a lot more beneficial to you in the long run to be not known as a jackass. I'm not sure about WoW, but the advantage FFXI has as far as having a nice community is that all the players have to consider the long-term effects of their actions within the community. It's not that WoW doesn't have that, but as far as I know, it's comparatively a breeze to get to max level, so you end up having a lot more people not worry about their reputation because of that.

At the base though, all human beings are the same, so the people in FFXI as just as big of assholes as the WoW ones.

Aside from RP servers. When I went on RP server on WoW, most everyone was nice and just enjoying themselves. Makes me wish sometimes that FFXI had an RP server.

The biggest thing that made me like FFXI is the setting and art style. To me, MMOs are for the most part the same kind of gameplay, so setting, atmosphere, and art style are probably going to have the most bearing on my choice. I enjoy the world depicted in FFXI, and I'm not a big fan of the cartoonish look of WoW.

Control is an issue too. I'm more of a gamepad type of person, so it's pretty self explanatory on that one. WoW's battle system is in almost every MMO I know right now (Auto attack, numbers for abilities), and FFXI keeps the unique battle style. I suppose you can make it so that FFXI controls like WoW with the macros, but the game is based in PS2 so the focus is on gamepad control. The biggest difference in the battle system is that FFXI is more timing and patience based, while WoW is more action-oriented (From what I can gather).

That's all I have from the top of my head right now. Guess I'll say more if I think of anything else.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2008, 10:30:56 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
In one fight, there's an enemy that randomly changes its weakness from blunt to slash to pierce, and is immune to all other attacks during that time. This requires a diverse set of players to come to the fight, or a well-merited WAR with Tomahawk, or a solo COR with W.Legs and a blink macro.

Fixed. ;)

Quote from: "Dade"
If WoW looks ugly as sin.....what does that make FFXI?

Let's allow some screenshots to speak for themselves.

Final Fantasy XI:

World of Warcraft:

Hell, let's throw this in the ring, too:

Vagrant Story:

Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »

I quit playing FFXI because I hate Asians.  WoW has far fewer cat emote-spewing yellowskins, so that's what I play.

Dio

... I'm not Dead.

SummonerDio@msn.com Diobility Diobility
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »

You know, I saw this title topic and thought, "FINALLY!... fucking FINALLY! They actually done something about this issue."... Then I saw these videos and it just made me sad all over again.

While it is impressive that this tarutaru solo'd these monsters, I don't really think it's new news. Everyone that has been a FFXI veteran knows all about the infamous Red Mage solo'ing accomplishments. I dunno how this post counters the "FFXI haters", at least for me, because I don't have a super geared out Red Mage at lvl 75, so those videos do nothing for me.

I deleted my character a couple years ago. I don't completely regret it, because as much as I missed my character and the good times in the game, I have spent more time and got less done on that game than any other MMO and I'm glad I have no insentive to go back. I've had friends ask me to come back, which is really cool that folks still want to hang together, but I can't force myself to play that game anymore.

I'm laughing at the arguement in this topic between the many "flaws" in both FFXI & WoW, but that is always going to be a preference issue depending on who you talk to. There are things about the graphics, battle system and environment about both games that I like and dislike, but there is one huge motherfuckin problem I have with FFXI... Time.

What do I mean? Okay, I'm a person that works 8 hours a day and has a lot to do at home and away from home, but I probably have a good 5 hours to play a weeknight. The worst case senario for an FFXI player is if you are lvl 20 and on, and have no friends. The failure in FFXI is when you are this person with no friends, and want to level, you sit in Jeuno (or wherever is the new spot to LFG) in seek mode, and basically hangout. Back then, it would take me an average of 30 minutes to an hour to find a group. Getting to a group would be another 10 to 20, depending on location and camp site. Then when finally starting the killing process, there is the risk that you might have to leave right away, or someone in the party might leave right away (which ends up being a healer, refresher or tank). More time is wasted to find one more person, OR the group disbands; which leads you back to square one. I probably have a good 5 hours a night to play games (if I'm not doing anything else after work) and to spend most of it LFG and preparing is just a huge turn-off.
On WoW, I can hop on, jump right into questing and killing for exp, while I have LFG for an instance run. If someone has to go or the group disbands, I go right back to questing. There is barely any downtime.

Oh yeah, there is also one more issue... on FFXI, an "easy pray" can potentially kill you at higher levels. On WoW, you can possibly take out something that is 2 or 3 levels higher than you... without needing expensive twink style gear.

I guess it always will come down to who you are talking to about this issue. Ryan made this post, yet he will have an advantage in FFXI compared to myself... I can speak and understand Japanese and probably has more time for it, plus he has his character that is already high lvl. For me, I'm starting from the beginning... or I would have. Technically, no one can say what game is better overall, unless you've done the content to the fullest... And the only guy I can think of that has done this is Mike Bracken. He is doing end game with us on WoW, and he has done end game on FFXI.

I am being bias because I do play WoW still and do end game content, but I have played FFXI from the beginning with you guys, which is why I'm looking at this arguement from a beginner's persective. The bottom line is, no one is going to care about end game content, gear, story or anything, because if the level grind is bad, then they're not going to last.

... And now for my "hater" comments. :P

1. WoW graphics may look cartoony or too animated, and FFXI may look more realistic, but I guess they have to be great with design, since they are using the same exact models for exp mobs and HNM's. Didn't Genbu's Shield look like a regular wooden shield? ewww

2. Call me when you can gain whole points, instead of decimal points in skill for crafting... without breaking crystals and losing materials.

3. In FFXI, What's my reputation? "Ask that NPC." "Hey NPC, what's my reputation... I mean, fame?" "blah blah blah, people around our kingdom has heard of your adventures." ... "So, WTF does that mean? I'm closer to finishing this fame grind or what?"

4. *running with party*
In WoW...
- Oh fuck, I got aggro.
- Kill it!.

In FFXI...
- Oh fuck, I got aggro.
- Shit! Just die! We'll raise.
- Wait, we don't have WHM to raise II (or III).
- Damn... *sends tell to LS WHM*
- Think you can come raise III me out in Boyahda Tree? (Worst case senario)
- I'm farming. Can't you just take a raise I?
- I'm going to level down. ;_; No exp buffer.
- Alright, omw...
- *30 minutes later*
- Alright, I'm here, where you at?
- *10 minutes later*
- *Raise III* There you go. Don't die!
- OMG Thank you Suspiria (lmao! I had to) ^_^;;;;
- *5 minutes later*
- fuck, I died again. Come back and raise me again? ;_;

I realize some of this might have changed over the years, but when I was playing, you know this shit was true... and some are probably still true. Haha!

BTW, hey guys. :P

Infinite.Bit Radio
Dedicated station to actual video game and anime music from various soundtracks. No radio show podcasts or anything like that... Just pure 100% music. Old, new and remade tracks is what you'll hear from us.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2008, 07:30:31 PM »

Damn Dio,

that last part nearly made me piss myself.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2008, 07:31:26 PM »

That's so cute what you did there Shiguma!  Here, we can do that same sleazy tactic the other way around:

Huh, Final Fantasy XI looks like a giant piece of muddy grey shit in comparison.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2008, 07:51:20 PM »

I am feeling quite amused, but it is becoming a flaming pic war. In short, to each his own. I do enjoy FFXI depsite the tedium, and I can see why others like WoW.

Lockin.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Ogami Itto

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 02:03:20 PM »

Quote from: "Dio"
In FFXI...
- Oh fuck, I got aggro.
- Shit! Just die! We'll raise.
- Wait, we don't have WHM to raise II (or III).
- Damn... *sends tell to LS WHM*
- Think you can come raise III me out in Boyahda Tree? (Worst case senario)
- I'm farming. Can't you just take a raise I?
- I'm going to level down. ;_; No exp buffer.
- Alright, omw...
- *30 minutes later*
- Alright, I'm here, where you at?
- *10 minutes later*
- *Raise III* There you go. Don't die!
- OMG Thank you Suspiria (lmao! I had to) ^_^;;;;
- *5 minutes later*
- fuck, I died again. Come back and raise me again? ;_;

Yeah, sounds about right--just change Boyahda Tree to Ifrit's Cauldron.

I'm not getting into this, but as somone who spent over 4000 hours on FFXI and a whole bunch of hours on WoW (and actually killed most of the HNM and other crap in FFXI--so you can't use the argument that I only killed Kirin and have no frame of reference) I can tell you that from my perspective, WoW pretty much annihilates FFXI in every category but one: Fishing. FFXI fishing is so much better than WoW it's not even funny. That being said, I'll stick with WoW anyway.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: