Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:44:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Yakuza
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Yakuza  (Read 2309 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2007, 09:25:15 PM »

Don't think this qualifies an RPG....though the closest comparison I can think of is Shenmue, and people seem to classify that as one.

I picked this up last week fairly cheap, since it's the only high profile title from Sega I've been interested in a while, and it was nice to see them not doing a terrible Sonic game.

I partly picked this up on the assumption that it was going to be *sort of* an adventure game...and the fact we're never getting Shenmue 3, so this was kind of a surrogate.

I tried the tutorial, which was, but did seem like it could get repetitive.

Just wondering how far off my assumptions are.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 10:27:13 AM »

It essentially reminds me of Shenmue, but there aren't quite so many annoying quests, and it's also not quite as big (which is either an asset or a drawback, dependant upon your enjoyment of Shenmue). I have a friend who is an avid Shenmue hater, and he loves Yakuza, so they are different enough I suppose. For the record: I don't think Yakuza or Shenmue should be considered RPGs. But if a site considers Shenmue to be one, they asbolutely should consider Yakuza as well (as it has side-quests and what are, essentially, cleverly disguised random battles, and it has stat-growth... it's 20 times the RPG that The Bouncer is, at least).

I personally enjoyed Yakuza immensely. It was definitely one of my top 5 favorite games of '06 (which is saying a lot, considering how many fine titles released last year), and it has one of the more unique and gripping storylines I've seen in quite a number of years. Its gameplay does, however, begin to grate by the third chapter. Combat occurs a bit too frequently while you are simply trying to do quests and explore the city, and the combat system itself has a number of issues. One of the more prominent issues is "Long-Ass Load Times": the game takes an incredible amount of time to load its battles, and considering how many there are, this can bog down gameplay considerably. Secondly, there seem to be some frequent attack problems. By this, I mean that if you and an enemy attack at the same time, the enemy's move will almost always take precedence over yours. Even if your animations begin simultaneously. :/

The game sports one of the most incredibly badass soundtracks Sega has ever produced and its visuals are nice (awesome cutscene direction).

So basically, in short, I found it as a brawler to be extremely repetitive, and it has some serious kinks to work out. However, odd as it may be to say this about what is essentially a brawler with light adventure elements, it really is the kind of game to play exclusively for its storyline. It's impeccably executed, has awesome characters, and has some of the more unique situations I've seen in a game. All of its themes are handled very well, and it has an extremely satisfying ending (in other words, it's one of precious few recent games NOT to end on a cliffhanger).

I am absolutely thrilled for the localized release of Yakuza 2, by the way. Already, Y2 has very much corrected the loading issue from Y1 (in Y2, battles load up almost instantly)! So long as its story continues to be excellent, I'm game. And considering its story is written by Y1's author, I see no reason why it shouldn't be awesome.

"Time fades even legend..."
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:16:18 PM »

I still need to play this game, its compared alot to Shenmue, and well Shenmue I and II are my favorite games of all time, bar none. Thing is... its not Shenmue III, I would rather have Shenmue III and I may not even play Yakuza until I get Shenmue III (So I may never play it). I cant really explain whats stoping me from playing this game. Its like if Sega is trying to make up for a lack of Shenmue with this, well that pisses me off. Also some of you may not know but Yakuza 3 is being developed for the PS3, this also pisses me off that this series is getting a 3rd game so quickly but they still refuse to make Shenmue III. I dont hate Yakuza, I havent played it, so I cant say a thing about the game, just seems to me that Sega is trying to make up for the shenmue fans with yakuza, and well its not shenmue and I would rather have shenmue. Anyway enough of my rant on this matter, maybe someone should just force me to play Yakuza :P

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 01:38:45 PM »

Thanks for the long posts about it.

The tutorial was interesting but I get the feeling combat could get repetitive depending on how long you put into it.

It does look like it's going to be a well polished story, and the voice acting seems like it's pretty good.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Alucard von Elru

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 12:27:12 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"

It does look like it's going to be a well polished story, and the voice acting seems like it's pretty good.

It has its rough spots, but the peformances of Kazuma, Nishiki, Date, and Fuma are consistently awesome throughout.

@PKP: I really would consider giving Yakuza a try. Yes, it isn't entirely original: it can be compared in various aspects to Shenmue. But I've found that in spite of their similarities they do end up accomplishing profoundly different things by the time the credits roll. I really do think you should pick it up if you get the chance. I doubt it would "replace" Shenmue for you, but the intention of Yakuza's creator was never to replace anything anyway. Toshihiro Nagoshi basically took a look at western crime games, like Grand Theft Auto and The Getaway, and thought they had it all wrong. He set out to create a truly engrossing crime drama, and he succeeded. It may have used Shenmue as a foundation, but what ended up being built is worthwhile regardless.

Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »

Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku is one of my favorite game series ever. And Ryu ga Gotoku: Kenzan in particular is by far the best PS3 game I`ve played to date. Shame that this wonderful franchise gets so little attention from Western gamers. People hate on Sega all the time for the crappy Sonic games they produce, yet when Sega releases a quality title like Yakuza, no one buys it.

Anyhow, Ryu ga Gotoku 2 is getting a US release in August and I`d definitely recommend it to everyone who enjoyed the first part. It`s a more polished product overall with a lot more sidequests to do, more fighting moves to unlock and a New Game+ mode that the first game needed so badly.

Here`s hoping Sega will eventually release RgG: Kenzan in English as well. I`ve finished the JP version several times and found the experience to be extremely satisfying, but I sure want to know what the story is about(I do know the gist but not much else).

If anyone`s interested, here`s Kenzan`s awesome intro:
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_6472_en.html

And here`s a trailer:
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_5771_en.html
Alucard von Elru

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »

Quote from: "Jonathan Ingram"
and a New Game+ mode that the first game needed so badly.

Dear sweet god THANK YOU. This is the first I've heard of that, and a New Game + is the feature I felt was missing from the first game. In spite of how much I enjoyed the game, I have never replayed it and the lack of a NG+ is exactly why. Well, that and the combat was just a bit too rough around the edges for me to want to re-experience it too soon. Everything I've heard about the second title points to greater polish all around, so I'm glad I have it pre-ordered already.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »

People hate on Sega all the time for the crappy Sonic games they produce, yet when Sega releases a quality title like Yakuza, no one buys it.

I wasn't sure if Yakuza would really be my thing and as such didn't get it when it came out. Now that I've got it for cheap and played it I don't intend to make the same mistake for the second.

To be fair though, it's not just bad Sonic games Sega's making, but basically EVERYTHING that they aren't simply publishing for someone else is, at best, slightly above average. Yakuza really is the exception here.
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 07:28:17 AM »

Well, that and the combat was just a bit too rough around the edges for me to want to re-experience it too soon.

The combat in RgG2 and RgG: Kenzan is pretty clunky as well. But once you get good at it, it`s extremely satisfying.

To be fair though, it's not just bad Sonic games Sega's making, but basically EVERYTHING that they aren't simply publishing for someone else is, at best, slightly above average. Yakuza really is the exception here.

Yakuza, Virtua Fighter, Senjou no Valkyria. That`s at least three exceptions. I`d argue that Sega`s track record for this console generation is far more impressive than of any other JP developer.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 08:27:51 AM »

does kenzan have similarities in story to the first 2?
i can't relate the kanji "kenzan" (見参) to the previous games...even its meaning...
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 08:44:39 AM »

There are some similarities here and there, but it`s an independent story for the most part. Although the names of some of Kenzan`s characters(Kiryu Kazumanosuke, Haruka, Majima etc) are definitely references to the first two RgG games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 05:22:57 PM »

Yakuza, Virtua Fighter, Senjou no Valkyria. That`s at least three exceptions. I`d argue that Sega`s track record for this console generation is far more impressive than of any other JP developer.

Point on Virtua Fighter, but not only is Valkyria Chronicles not out yet but for this specific example (people disregarding Yakuza for being from Sega) it may not have even been in existence. There were probably only basic plans and some preliminary work at best.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: