Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 11:40:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331575 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  A Ghostbusters game? WE GOT OOOOOOOOOONE!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: A Ghostbusters game? WE GOT OOOOOOOOOONE!  (Read 4470 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2007, 07:36:28 AM »

HalleFUCKINGlujah.

'Ghostbusters'

Vivendi Games is pacting with Sony Pictures to turn "Ghostbusters" into a videogame franchise.
First title in what the publisher hopes will be a series of "Ghostbusters" games is set for release in fall '08 from Vivendi's Sierra label.

All four members of the movie team -- Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Bill Murray and Harold Ramis -- will be giving voice and likeness rights for the game. Some supporting castmembers have signed up as well, including William Atherton, Brian Doyle Murray and Annie Potts.

In addition, film scribes Aykroyd and Ramis will pen a story for the vidgame that takes place in the early '90s, after "Ghostbusters II," during a new ghoul invasion of New York City.

Deal comes on the heels of several other classic movies that have recently been adapted into successful vidgames, including EA's "The Godfather" and Vivendi's own "Scarface: The World Is Yours."

"We noticed we did well on 'Scarface' and were alert for new opportunities to turn iconic film products into games in a way that is a new manifestation of the franchise," Vivendi Games CEO Bruce Hack said. "'Ghostbusters' is unquestionably among the small number of movies in that class."

Vivendi has sold more than 2.5 million units of last year's "Scarface" game worldwide, grossing more than $125 million and making it a solid success, if not quite at the level of top franchises like "Halo." Though Vivendi hasn't yet confirmed plans, a sequel is known to be in the works.

Hack noted that, in making both deals, Vivendi did a survey of gamers asking which movie properties they would like to see turned into videogames. "Scarface" and "Ghostbusters" were both in the top five.

Publisher is particularly optimistic for the chances of "Ghostbusters" because, unlike the young male-targeted "Scarface," it has the potential to appeal to children and adults. Developer Terminal Reality is making a "Ghostbusters" game for PC, Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 aimed primarily at the core gamer demographic, while Red Fly Studios is making a version for Playstation 2, Wii and DS designed more for families and casual gamers.

With the addition of "Ghostbusters," Vivendi now has several licensed franchises in its portfolio, including "Scarface," the Robert Ludlum books such as "Bourne Identity" and "Covert One," and rapper 50 Cent.

It's the first major vidgame deal for one of its library titles that Sony Pictures has made. Studio talked with several publishers before making a deal with Vivendi. Such deals can be quite lucrative because licensing revenue comes in with very little spending on the studio's side. Advances for multiyear deals on major franchises such as "Ghostbusters" are typically in the tens of millions of dollars.

"This brand is a very important asset for the studio, and we feel it's prime time for it to be rediscovered through videogames," said Mark Caplan, VP of Sony's consumer products division.

Several "Ghostbusters" games came out around the time of the two movies, and one in the past decade has been tied to the animated series "Extreme Ghostbusters."

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 09:55:43 AM »

This game could be pure nostalgia gold.  I'm guessing they'll go with 3rd-person action, but I'm torn as to whether I'd guess that they'll go solo or squad.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 09:57:56 AM »

I'd guess solo offline and and online squad.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 11:33:45 AM »

Shootan game.

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 05:53:10 AM »

Wasn't this all announced (including the cast members' involvement) like nearly a year ago??

Well, whatever, the screenie provided looks nice, and it's good to have it confirmed as 'in development', with even a rough release date (Autumn next year).

Who ya gonna call, indeed!

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 04:50:57 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HCw_sNxHI9E

Great preview video!

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 05:07:43 PM »

Yeah it was announced awhile ago, and it didn't spark anything for me then, so it definitely doesn't now. I guess I've never went "man, I wish they would make a ghostbusters videogame, that would be sweet".

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »

Ghostbusters for NES ruined it all for me. I won't play the new one - I'll have flashbacks.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 04:48:16 AM »

This game needs to be like a more action oriented Rainbow 6.

THAT would fucking rock.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 09:34:59 PM »

Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"
Ghostbusters for NES ruined it all for me. I won't play the new one - I'll have flashbacks.

Now you're just being silly.

Am I the only one who's excited for this game?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 09:53:07 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"

It's a game based off an old property, so yes. Too many crappy games to be optimistic anymore.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 06:39:57 AM »

It was said for a while that there was going to be "big news" on Ghostbusters at San Diego Comic-Con 2008. What that is remains to be seen, obviously.

Movies seldom do well when made into games because you have to go away from the source material a lot to add more stuff to the game or just have an incredibly boring and short game that's faithful to the movie. In both cases, it gets bashed.

But seeing as how this is so of a sequel to the two movies, it might be okay. This one is definately rent before buy, though, unless it gets terrible reviews. The gameplay looks incredibly boring to me right now.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 10:57:18 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"

Nope.  I'd probably put myself in the "cautiously optimistic" camp, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 04:31:20 AM »

It should be a movie....

And yes, the Ghostbusters game on NES. According to the AVGN, it really is a shitload of fuck.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 10:03:13 PM »

It was okay on the C64, as I remember it.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: