Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2014, 12:07:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331731 Posts in 13581 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  WHO WANTS TO KILL VAMPIRE HITLER?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: WHO WANTS TO KILL VAMPIRE HITLER?  (Read 1795 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2007, 12:27:34 AM »

Announcement that Atlus is bringing Operation Darkness to the US, and some Spectral Force 3 game as well. Admittedly, it's Joystiq that's calling him a vampire. Anyways, the uniqueness/absurdity of the premise for an RPG makes this interesting to me to check out, what does everyone else think?
Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 02:01:46 AM »

I have been following Operation Darkness fairly closely and am really excited that it is getting localized (especially due to Atlus USA's involvement).  

But, I have never played any of the games in the Spectral Force series so I don't know what to expect from that franchise.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 03:28:01 AM »

Well, though I've heard the game's disappointing, I must admit I've always wanted to kill vampire Hitler.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 10:46:28 PM »

With this news, I'm now wondering if Atlus will rock some next gen MegaTen on the 360.  I remember they had that online Shin Megami Tensei: NINE on Xbox back in '02 or so.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 11:32:47 PM »

Actually, that wound up not being online. Nevertheless, SMT:Nine DID come out, and is probably the only MegaTen we missed on last gen, especially since Fes seems more or less guaranteed.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 03:17:32 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
With this news, I'm now wondering if Atlus will rock some next gen MegaTen on the 360.  I remember they had that online Shin Megami Tensei: NINE on Xbox back in '02 or so.

Unless Microsoft is willing to fund development of that game, I don't see any reason for such a move. Bringing IPs to the 360 only makes sense for stuff that sells well or better in the West (than in Japan). Atlus sold about 300,000 copies of Shin Megami Tensei 3 on PlayStation 2 in Japan at a time, when that system already had an impressive installed base. The only platform, that will give them a similar installed base right now would obviously be the DS. Another possibility is the Wii, even though there are a good deal of third party games (like Koei's Opoona for instance) which struggle to sell a reasonable amount of copies on that system. With the introduction of the new model and the success of Crisis Core, PlayStation Portable has shown that it is a legitimate platform in its own right and an installed hardware base, that will probably reach the 10 million mark in Japan pretty soon is not bad either, but then again Atlus has no history of creating anything but cheap ports for that system. As for PlayStation 3, the system has gotten a boost from the price cut and the 40 Gig model as well as Shin Sangoku Musou 5, but its installed base is still low. That being said, even PlayStation 3's Japanese installed base is several times higher than that of the 360.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 11:11:07 AM »

Gast- thanks.

And regarding Spectral Souls (since that was also asked about), I recall there was a PSP port of a Spectral Souls game that did not get favorable reviews (average ratio 50% on GameRankings.com), so Spectral Souls 3 will have to make up for lost ground there.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 04:01:40 PM »

The chance for the next SMT game being an exclusive on the 360 is basically nil.  However, I do think there is a good chance that it could be a PS3/360 dual release simply because the oversea sales gained by adding a 360 version would probably more than make up the extra development cost.  However, all things considered, I think the next SMT coming to the DS or the Wii are the most likely results due to the insane sales both systems are getting both in Japan and abroad.

And regardless of what Atlus Japan does, it looks like Atlus USA is going to support the 360 so any good 360 RPGs that aren't coming from Mistwalker, Square, or Namco should make it over here thanks to them.

Jukes Walt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 07:18:33 PM »

That PSP Spectral Souls was a bad port more than it was a bad game. Specifically, it had the worst loading times in SRPG history. That new one will indeed have to overcome a bad reputation, but people who've played the PSP game should hopefully be smart enough to realize that the problem wasn't really the game itself (those constant, maddening load times weren't in the original).
Speaking of reputation, isn't that MegaTen NINE game supposed to be pretty mediocre? I was told it's the least interesting in the series in a long time.
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 01:24:09 AM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
However, I do think there is a good chance that it could be a PS3/360 dual release simply because the oversea sales gained by adding a 360 version would probably more than make up the extra development cost.

Only provided Atlus has the development environment up and running. I'm not sure, whether they could pull of this porting as easily as Western third parties, who have far more resources and a lot of experience with this stuff. The EAs, Activisions, and UbiSofts have already managed to reduce the costs of porting from one platform (PlayStation 3 or 360) to the other one. Hence, it costs them 15% to 20% of the actual development to do the porting. Whether a comparatively small company like Atlus could pull that off, is questionable. Besides, I don't know, whether they would sell that many copies of what probably should be considered a niche title in the US to justify the development costs involved in porting. Sure, a small company can do this stuff, as From Software has shown with Enchanted and Armored Core 5, but in both cases one version was apparently inferior to the other one.

And regardless of what Atlus Japan does, it looks like Atlus USA is going to support the 360 so any good 360 RPGs that aren't coming from Mistwalker, Square, or Namco should make it over here thanks to them.

I don't think so. First of all, Square Enix and in particular Bandai Namco usually don't sell the publishing rights to their IPs to other companies. Square Enix worked with Infogrames and UbiSoft in the past, but recently they have mostly published stuff themselves or otherwise it remained in Japan.  Also, both companies haven't brought a lot of RPGs to the 360 thus far and those games they have released or will release on the platform will automatically be released worldwide, because given the 360's pitiful installed base in Japan, but very strong installed base in the US, everything else doesn't make sense. Besides, it certainly is far more expensive to get the exclusive rights to a Square Enix or Bandai Namco title, than say a game from Idea Factory or Nippon Ichi Software.

Speaking of reputation, isn't that MegaTen NINE game supposed to be pretty mediocre? I was told it's the least interesting in the series in a long time.

From what I have heard, it wasn't very well received here in Japan. And then obviously, there was the problem with the online component. First it was supposed to be sold as a seperate package, and then Atlus eventually cancelled its development.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 02:47:35 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"

I don't think so. First of all, Square Enix and in particular Bandai Namco usually don't sell the publishing rights to their IPs to other companies. Square Enix worked with Infogrames and UbiSoft in the past, but recently they have mostly published stuff themselves or otherwise it remained in Japan.  Also, both companies haven't brought a lot of RPGs to the 360 thus far and those games they have released or will release on the platform will automatically be released worldwide, because given the 360's pitiful installed base in Japan, but very strong installed base in the US, everything else doesn't make sense. Besides, it certainly is far more expensive to get the exclusive rights to a Square Enix or Bandai Namco title, than say a game from Idea Factory or Nippon Ichi Software.

You misunderstand me.  What I meant was that it looks like Atlus USA is going to bring over the more promising 360 RPGs from the smaller studios.  Obviously, big companies like Square Enix, Namco, and Microsoft/Mistwalker are going to bring over their own stuff.

As an aside since someone mentioned it, does anyone know if the PSP Slim has any significant effect on the load times on those games like Spectral Souls that got slammed in the reviews because of their frequent load times?  Thinking about upgrading to a Slim this Christmas and wondering if I should consider picking up any of those games.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: