Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 07:03:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332945 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dragon Quest 9 and Vagrant Story to PSP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dragon Quest 9 and Vagrant Story to PSP?  (Read 3652 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:00:10 AM »

Two articles up at Joystiq - one is older, but I missed it.

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/10/10/vagrant-story-a-natural-choice-for-next-psp-makeover/

http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/10/16/rumor-dragon-quest-coming-to-psp/

Interesting news, if true.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 11:30:33 AM »

Dragon Quest 8 is one of the games I constantly see at the store and ALMOST buy.  I just don't have the time at home to play it.  I'd probably buy DQ9 on PSP, though.  I'd buy a port of DQ8, for that matter.  New stuff rather than ports is awesome, but I'm one of those people who's happy to see ports of games they never played.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 12:11:18 PM »

As the article mentioned, that Japanese source's track record is anything but great. I don't think that is more than a hoax. Now, a PlayStation Portable port/remake of Vagrant Story is a completely different story. Obviously, Kawazu saying it's a logical candidate for a PSP release doesn't necessarily mean, it will appear on PSP, but it's certainly far more plausible than Dragon Quest IX appearing on PSP.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 02:11:54 PM »

If Vagrant Story is a cheap port ala Valkyrie Profile and FFT then I hope they don't do it, aside from TOSE's sloppy job at doing most ports this game needs a visual upgrade badly and a similar port job would not do that justice.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:12:09 PM »

Vagrant Story would be great. I tried the game once a long time ago when my friend rented it but unfortunately I didn't really get a chance to play it.
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 03:10:01 PM »

Being a fan of the War of the Lions FFT port, I'd be interested in a PSP update of Vagrant Story. They would have to treat it with very special care, however. Even the slightest slowdown issue or dip in sound quality would be enough to essentially break the port for me.

"Time fades even legend..."
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 08:45:10 PM »

Quote from: "jj984jj"
If Vagrant Story is a cheap port ala Valkyrie Profile and FFT then I hope they don't do it, aside from TOSE's sloppy job at doing most ports this game needs a visual upgrade badly and a similar port job would not do that justice.

I do wish that the FFT battle graphics had been upgraded, and there are sound issues, but the new cutscenes and translation are awesome.  Even having said that, though, the animations in the old graphics are great, especially in the scenes that happen before and after battles.  I wonder - if they had redone the graphics, would they have captured that same feeling?

—Kurt Vonnegut
Alucard von Elru

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 09:28:57 PM »

I actually strongly disagree with the notion of Vagrant Story needing a visual upgrade at all, let alone "badly". To this day I think it is absolutely gorgeous, and the cutscenes and gameplay flow together more seamlessly than in almost any other game I've ever encountered. I'm primarily interested in a PSP version based solely on what, if any, gameplay enhancements and additions can be made.

Basically, not everything needs to have that "shiny" look, and if they alter the visuals I have a feeling that could potentially be the direction in which SE might take it. If that's the case, then no, I don't think they can capture the same feeling.

EDIT: I'm assuming that by everything after "Even having said that..." you're referring to VS. If not, well, oops. :P My above point still stands either way.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 12:43:58 AM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
As the article mentioned, that Japanese source's track record is anything but great. I don't think that is more than a hoax. Now, a PlayStation Portable port/remake of Vagrant Story is a completely different story. Obviously, Kawazu saying it's a logical candidate for a PSP release doesn't necessarily mean, it will appear on PSP, but it's certainly far more plausible than Dragon Quest IX appearing on PSP.

Ditto.

The notion that DQ9 *could* be put on PSP is completely absurd. As a high-profile DS title, it will likely take advantage of most (if not all) of the DS features. Porting all of that to a PSP is virtually impossible. At best, they could do a DQIX "side story" for PSP, to milk the series for all its worth (the "Enix" half of SE going the route of FFVII Compilation, essentially). But even that's a stretch. The latter rumor is stupid.

But I would not AT ALL be surprised by a PSP port of Vagrant Story. The "Ivalice Alliance," as they call it, is a great selection of games, and a Vagrant Story that's accessible to a new generation of fans (those who played FFXII and are now playing the PSP port of FF Tactics) is just what the doctor ordered.

Also,

I actually strongly disagree with the notion of Vagrant Story needing a visual upgrade at all, let alone "badly". To this day I think it is absolutely gorgeous, and the cutscenes and gameplay flow together more seamlessly than in almost any other game I've ever encountered.

SO agreed. I know some character designs look blocky and weird in their polygonal state, but with the PSP's resolution and screen size being what they are, it will probably look awesome on the PSP. The only thing I'd be worried about is unnecessary slow down and load times (the bane of almost ALL RPGs for PSP to date). But otherwise, the game looks freaking awesome. I love the way that game looks and feels and ... yeah. There's a reason Famitsu gave it a perfect score.

Ramza

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:03:35 AM »

Quote from: "Alucard von Elru"
EDIT: I'm assuming that by everything after "Even having said that..." you're referring to VS. If not, well, oops. :P My above point still stands either way.

Looks like I'm the only one who said that phrase, so I assume you mean in my post.  Nope, just talking about FFT.  I was saying that the graphics are old, but well animated, and I'd rather have the good animation than new shininess.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Alucard von Elru

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:35:52 AM »

Quote from: "Tooker"

Looks like I'm the only one who said that phrase, so I assume you mean in my post.

Yes.

Nope, just talking about FFT.  I was saying that the graphics are old, but well animated, and I'd rather have the good animation than new shininess.

lol Alright then. I agree with it in terms of both FFT and VS then. I feel both look fine on the PS1 to this day, and one of the reasons I'm so happy with the War of the Lions FFT port is because they largely left the visuals alone. The new animated cutscenes are gorgeous and fitting, but other than that they really didn't mess with the visuals. You're right: they animated well. The style FFT was going for always shined through any technical limitations, and in my opinion style is far, far more effective and long-lasting than shiny tech.

The_P

peaguy@hotmail.co.uk thepeaguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 05:20:57 AM »

I'd love to see a sequel for Vagrant Story. It's a great rpg in its own right, and it would be shame for Square-Enix to not monopolize on this underrated gem. Think of the possibilities.

Not really excited about a possible VG port, though, since I don't (and will not purchase for various reasons) own a lame PSP.

PSN ID: thepeaguy
Metal Gear Online + Call of Duty 4 at the mo.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 06:15:12 PM »

VG2 would be great, but not if it's by S-E. I'd prefer Matsuno obtaining the copyright and developing the sequel himself (as he has said he'd like to do).
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 11:12:08 AM »

vagrant story wil one day get a reamke on psp we dont need to be great prophets to see that squarenix want to sell it and it too large for the "virtual console" and they really care for thiers "lavice world" now.

dq9 on the otherend will never come to the psp but wil maybe see ports of the dq6\v remake or worse dqvii port :(((

i really mad on square for all these ports imo they see the psp as "our port system"

but maybe maybe they wil fix some of the prob vs has with his balance
and put extras that use better in his promise... we can hpoe at least that they make him more use friendly and so better game.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: