Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 07:22:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341044 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  about tales of abyss storyline (spoiler!)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: about tales of abyss storyline (spoiler!)  (Read 3840 times)
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »

hey guys :) miss me? (dude at least :)

okay so i really wanna play abyss it looks like it have everyting i wanted symphonia to be however ......  someone spoiled part of the story for me.

he tell that luke is a clone and that i wil have change of personality and all...

so it really hurt my wish to play it cause ... the main draw for me to that game is that tales finaly have good storyline! with no random battles

so what i ask is there a lot more to the story that those twist and secret the game is still worth playing story wise ?

the game is longer after that "twist"?

love you all and love to comeback
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:02:00 PM »

And yes, Tales of the Abyss has a good story, and is worth it to play after you learn about that particular spoiler.

EDIT: Apparently I can't read and didn't see the title. Whining rescinded.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:16:25 PM »

He's got the word spoiler in the fucking title.  If you can't grasp that there might be a spoiler within, you should probably leave the internet.

Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:41:24 PM »

despite you knowing that tadbit of info already, the game is still good and worth a play through.  the game has some really great characters, especially jade and tear, in my opinion, and knowing that information shouldn't take away from the game too bad.  you already stated you're a big tales fan, so i don't think knowing that is worth not playing the game or going to put on a cramp on how much you enjoy it.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 12:55:15 PM »

Well, that *IS* the first big plot twist. However, it's only about 10 hours in. For a 70 hour game, learning that is practically the end of the intro. So it shouldn't spoil too much. Easilly the best standard RPG of last year (not counting Okam or Zelda), so it's worth playing.

The game really only gets started when you learn that Luke's a clone. And many see it coming HOURS away... I didn't, but then again, I seem to be good at missing things that others pick up on.

As much as I love Symphonia, Abyss really is their greatest work to date. The dialog is just so great. Only the graphics took a huge hit, migrating from GCN to PS2.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 02:29:06 PM »

wow :) im fucking stupid in this case, I was thinking they drag that until the last 12 hours or so ...... if i was able to survive the damm dull intro of suikoden v, without quiet (great storyline so so gameplay) i could survive this.

As much as I love Symphonia, Abyss really is their greatest work to date. The dialog is just so great. Only the graphics took a huge hit, migrating from GCN to PS2.[/quote]

yay!
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 02:50:04 PM »

And just remember, there are lots of strategies to use when dealing with plot being spoiled for you.  It happens all the time.  I've had endings of movies and books spoiled for me quite a bit.  

So my cognitive strategy is that if a spoiler is revealed, I just take greater interest in the events that lead up to the revelation.  For example, I knew that Dumbledore died in Harry Potter 6 before I even read the book.  So I just took it as "I know WHAT is going to happen, but now I really want to know HOW it is going to happen."  

And if you look at most any JRPG, you pretty much know the heroes are going to save the world, but it's the journey that's ultimately more interesting than the destination.  

Plus, it's not such a stretch that main characters in JRPGs harbor secrets about themselves and their identities that they don't even know themselves.  Luke being a clone, Zidane being a science project, Tidus being a manifestation of a collective dream...

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 03:04:14 PM »

yes you right about the spoiler strategy im doing it with books as well, it happend me now with "the brothers karamazov" (im simply dont have luck :))

but it dont goona stop me cause it wonderful book the same for abyss of course :)

the best strategy is simply dont read about anything you goona play or read dont speak about it ....
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 03:40:13 PM »

Quote from: "salinger"
wow :) im fucking stupid in this case, I was thinking they drag that until the last 12 hours or so ...... if i was able to survive the damm dull intro of suikoden v, without quiet (great storyline so so gameplay) i could survive this.

As much as I love Symphonia, Abyss really is their greatest work to date. The dialog is just so great. Only the graphics took a huge hit, migrating from GCN to PS2.

yay![/quote]

Personally I found graphics with everything BUT the character models were great.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »

Definitely worth picking up the game still mate.  Like someone else said, I personally did see that particular spoiler coming earlier through Ashe's words to Luke.

If you're like me, and hurting for a new RPG badly, I 100% still recommend picking up the title.  It's a long ass game, but it's worth it in the end.  Some of the major scenes of the game are just acted out very well and really got me into the moment.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 04:28:46 PM »

Am I the only person in the world who thinks this is one of the worst Tales games?  I mean, the voice acting and characters are awesome, that's to be expected from a Tales game.  I'm finding the storyline in Tales of the Abyss to be extremely boring.  It almost feels like they made it up as they went along, hell the game even ends at one point only to keep going.

Meh.  I'm not expecting anything amazing plotwise from a Tales game, but this game just completely fails to hold my attention after about the 40 hour mark.

Edit: Just to clarify, I've played Tales of Destiny, Tales of Eternia and Tales of Symphonia and all of them executed plot better then Abyss, imo.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2007, 05:03:18 PM »

Eh, worst plot in a Tales game is easily Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology for PSP.  It's basically a single player, offline Tales MMORPG without the MMO.  Character creation and the battle system are fun, though.  

Abyss does not have a bad plot (it's arguably one of the deeper Tales plots), but it does have issues with pacing.  Most Tales games have very fast moving plots with few lulls, and Abyss' plot does drag in places, more so than any other Tales game before it.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 03:09:53 PM »

I wouldn't say that any of the Tales plots are especially great, but its the characters, the human element, that makes them so good. From a purely plot-based perspective, Abyss isn't any better than Symphonia, maybe worse, but the characters and the writing is just so much better (as good as Symphonia is), that it's really incomparable.

Most of the world's best narratives have fairly status-quo plots. In fact, narratives based more around great plots than characters tend to suck.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 10:10:57 AM »

Good point about the human element.  One thing I've always liked is definitely the fact that a lot of Tales characters are especially unique, usually containing a different persona to differentiate archytpes each character may have.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nsg1EqVnDVM
^Probably the best example I mean to explain it...and quite funny.  Watch it!!!

THe story lines may not be all there and epic (friendship saves the day, love is  apparent, the world is saved, and a cameo battle is around), bu the games sure now how to be enjoyable most of all.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 04:18:37 PM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Good point about the human element.  One thing I've always liked is definitely the fact that a lot of Tales characters are especially unique, usually containing a different persona to differentiate archytpes each character may have.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Nsg1EqVnDVM
^Probably the best example I mean to explain it...and quite funny.  Watch it!!!

THe story lines may not be all there and epic (friendship saves the day, love is  apparent, the world is saved, and a cameo battle is around), bu the games sure now how to be enjoyable most of all.

yep, i love that too when i said abyss have a good storyline, i dont mean that it has a good plot but a good characters. tales of symphoina was good game but it feel to my like "tales meet ffx" .

i dont play legendia cause i heard it too much easy...

i goona see the movie you sumbbite now
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: