Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 03:05:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319255 Posts in 13035 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  So I just bought a DS...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: So I just bought a DS...  (Read 1699 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:16:13 PM »

OK, actually my son asked for one for Christmas, and I was more than happy to oblige. I bought the cool black and red one, and a copy of Mario Kart, as he loves to play the GC version.
More importantly is that I will now have a DS in the house. Up til now I have paid zero attention to it because I figured we would never own one. Now I'm looking through all the games available for it and am a tad overwhelmed.
First, I want to get a game for Nan. She loves classic graphic adventures along the lines of Day of the Tentacle and Sam and Max. I see the DS has several of this type of game. Which one would you guys recommend I get her first?
Then there's me. Obviously I love rpgs, but I also wouldn't mind a good action/adventure. Zelda is always a good bet, but what else would you guys recommend? Which Castlevania is better? Is the Metroid OK for single player?
I have too many questions. I'm really just looking for general recommendations here.
Thanks!

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:22:24 PM »

Rocket Slime is a great DS game.  It's so light on RPG elements that it barely qualifies as one, but it's great fun.

As for the Castlevanias, if you liked Aria of Sorrow, then you'd definitely like Dawn of Sorrow, being that they're practically clones of one another.  I prefer Portrait of Ruin because it shakes up the formula a little bit.  They're both good, so if you can get them both, do so. :P

As far as graphic adventures go, I've only played the second Phoenix Wright game, but I loved it.  I'd recommend that to damn near anybody.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 01:23:47 PM »

I really liked Hotel Dusk for the DS. Great graphic adventure.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 01:31:50 PM »

I also recommend Phoenix Wright.  My wife absolutely loves it.  I'd also recommend Trace Memory in regards to graphic adventures.  You can get a copy off eBay for, like, six bucks.

Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 01:31:53 PM »

Yeah very much seconded on the Pheonix Wright games. (I felt the first was a little more solid than the second).

Agreed with DR on the Castlevania games, Portrait of Ruin was a nice change from the style Aria set in place.

Totally snag Zelda, you know you're gonna love it :P

Also.....take advantage of that second game slot on the DS. If you guys dont have any GBA games laying around already......that's probably the biggest thing I've done with my DS lately. Played through FFIV and VI, and the Fire Emblem GBA ports to name a few.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 01:33:11 PM »

Yup, Hotel Dusk is probably my favorite game on the system. Also, Trace Memory by the same team, which is very good albeit on the short side.

The Phoenix Wright games are pretty awesome, as well (well, the first and third games, the second one was pretty weak by comparison).
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 01:56:13 PM »

I'm also pretty excited about the GBA compatibility. We have a few GBA games still lying around, but there are all sorts I'd like to get still.
The Metroids
Shining Force: ROTDD
FFIV(is this different than the PS version?) and isn't there a remake in the works?
Zelda: Minish Cap(before are after Phantom Hourglass?)
Anyone play Trauma Center? Nan loves the whole medical thing, and I thought she might like that.

Thanks so far.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 02:06:23 PM »

Personally, I like the third Phoenix Wright game most of all, but hey, try to get all three, and hotel dusk. The DS is a lot more solid on graphic adventures moreso than tradtional RPGs in my opinion.

As for Trauma Center, I liked it a lot, but its extremely brutal, and it can even get my hand numb later on. It is surprising that I managed to beat that monster. I don't know how she would feel about brutally hard games.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 04:08:29 PM »

As far as graphic adventures go, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, and the Phoenix Wright games are the best.  There are the Touch Detective games as well, but those are not as good.  I liked them personally, but most people weren't keen on them.  

Trauma Center is a good DS game, but be warned that it can get pretty difficult pretty fast.  If you or your family are into more offbeat stuff, Cooking Mama's great fun.  Elite Beat Agents is fun too (it's a Parappa the Rapper type game), but many of the songs are not very good.  

Personally, I think the DS is a tad weak in the RPG department but strong in other genres.  I hope Tales of Innocence makes it to US shores.  That game looks awesome.

DR- +1 on Rocket Slime.  I loved that game.  It was so much fun.

I approve of this nonsense!
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 04:21:40 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"

DR- +1 on Rocket Slime.  I loved that game.  It was so much fun.

+1 here too. Didn't expect much, and I wind up getting hooked on it. Quite short, but very sweet.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 04:46:38 PM »

Thanks guys.
Rocket Slime does look like fun.
Yeah, I keep reading how hard Trauma Center is. I'll wait on that one. I will definitely get her Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk. Those both sound like her kind of game.
She freakin loved Parappa, so I may have to take a look at Elite Beat Agents.
The plot thickens...

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 05:35:03 PM »

Since no one else has answered your Metroid Prime: Hunters question, I will.

I personally didn't care for the game. The control scheme wasn't the problem  really, but the single player game mode was severely lacking. All the areas were pretty small, and you fight the same two bosses (with variations obviously) over and over again. Really the other Hunters were about all the game offered in terms of "coolness" in single player mode. It also just didn't have the atmosphere of most other Metroid games which, I think, is a very important thing to have.

Multiplayer can be kind of fun, but you have to unlock the Hunters by beating them in single player before you can use them...and the maps are small with lots of campers. Not fun.
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 12:44:35 AM »

Trace Memory is pretty cool, I got it back when I first got a ds and I never got all that far because I bought other games but it was pretty fun and the puzzles were pretty neat.

Metroid is a bit iffy, I liked playing it but it really felt like it was lacking something, probably just from playing the gc prime's, Hunters just doesn't stand up very well.

Also, you didn't say much about rpgs but I'd just recommend a long stick to keep Lunar DS away from your home. I got suckered in by its pretty lights and pleasing scent, but it's not a fun time. In fact, it and Resident Evil DS are the only two video games I've ever sold.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 05:19:25 AM »

I am on a personal crusade to pimp Izuna and Rune Factory every time someone requests DS recommendations.

So, um, buy Izuna and Rune Factory.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »

Pheonix Wright (the first) is possibly my favorite game on the system, very good. I was liking the second one up until the third case, which is SO horrifically bad that I couldn't bring myself to complete it, but I've heard that the third game is pretty good. I can't wait until the 4th, because it's done by the same team who did the final case in the first game, which is easilly the best case in the series so far.

Metroid Hunters is terrible. Worst game in the series, hands down. The areas are incredibly un-inspiring, and the bosses are boring as hell. Even the multiplayer isn't THAT fun. It suffers from a lot of the same problems as Echos... but only worse. Pass. Do pick up Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA), that's a great game. Fusion... meh... pick up Zero Mission first.

Hotel Dusk is good, I didn't get a chance to finish it, but I will at some point. My only gripe is that you're traversing the same 4000 square feet of corridor throughout the entire game, but the plot and dialog are great, and the style is wonderful.

One non-rpg/adventure that EVERYONE should pick up, as soon as they get a DS, if only to demonstrate how wondeful the DSs features can function:

Kirby: Canvas Curse

One of the most original platformers ever invented. Don't miss it, lots of fun.

Other titles:

New Super Mario Bros.
Golden Sun 1&2 (GBA)
Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
FF12: Revenant Wings (played it yesterday, seems great)
FF3

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: