Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 12:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338025 Posts in 13841 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Thinking about getting a PS3, and selling my 360 and PS2?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thinking about getting a PS3, and selling my 360 and PS2?  (Read 1267 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 28, 2007, 05:07:57 PM »

Well for some reason ive been thinking about this today.  Ive always enjoyed the play station, was my console of choice for the original and 2.  This time around of course its not such a clear cut winner as before, but it still seems like its going to get the majority of the Jrpgs I know and love, or at least from companies I know and love.  Final Fantasy, Star Ocean 4, probably the Tales series, Suikoden, etc.

The 360 is cool, but really for me RPG's are my bread and butter, my gaming mainstays.  And if I get the 80GB model or the 60GB Model (have to get that off ebay) I can play PS2 games on it as well whcih saves me from having two different consoles, plus the Blue Ray player, assuming it ends up being the winner.

So I just want some peoples opinions.  I really cant afford to have both a 360 and a PS3, so its kinda one or the other.  Thanks!

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 05:29:42 PM »

The main question you need to ask yourself when deciding between a 360 and a PS3 is how important online play is to you.  I don't see XBox LIVE losing it's popularity so the 360 will probably remain this generations top console for online multiplayer.

If you just want lots of RPG's, then I would go with the PS3.  It's going to have more Japanese developers backing it and in the end will probably end up with more RPG's as well.

I personally own both systems, but I use them for different types of games.  I own a vast PS1 and PS2 rpg collection so the backwards compatibility of the PS3 60 Gig was well worth it, imo.

Most of the RPG series' you mentioned are confirmed for PS3, but I figure I should mention that the Tales series seems to have chosen DS as it's platform of choice for the series.

You're probably going to hear a lot of Sony bashing in this thread, so make sure you do a lot of research yourself.  The PS3 isn't a failure, as most 360 fanboys make it out to be.

Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 05:41:43 PM »

No I know the problems of both, and honestly LIVE is alright, but its not a huge thing, most of my online gaming is PC, in terms of both FPS and MMORPGS.

So I think I will go with the PS3.  If down the road I change my mind, I can always sell it and go back, but again im a huge JRPG fan, and I can get most of the good USRPG like Biowares stuff and whatnot on the PC eventually.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 06:06:27 PM »

My philosophy is to wait until games you actually want to play are out. The PS3s aren't really going anywhere, that's a fact, and it'd be lame to find out you could've saved a lot of money simply by waiting for the games you want, especially since Hardware usually becomes more reliable with time.

... With that said, the PS3's in an odd position thanks to Sony completely bungling it and chopping major features from it. If you don't care much about the BC, I say wait. If you do, keep in mind that GameStop may have 20/60 GB units for cheap used. Plus I just saw a 60 a few days ago at Target, so if you'd rather go with new you don't HAVE to go on eBay, just look around at a few local stores or something first.

Keep this in mind too: Past success doesn't mean it'll be the same this time. Plenty of major Nintendo franchises jumped ship for the Playstation (and to some degree Saturn too) with the 32-bit era, and the same thing can happen again, and HAS been happening as Monster Hunter indicated. While FFXIII and SO4's set in stone, you could still get Suikoden on the Wii/360 (I really doubt that last one), and Tales games have surfaced on both the Wii and DS without so much as a hint for the PS3.

Edit: Actually, another benefit to waiting until the games you want are out - you don't have to necessarily ditch your old ones, or at least not the PS2. If you don't care for upscaling (which to me is one of the biggest reasons to not wait), then you can just hold on to that if the system gets cheaper. Even if it doesn't, you could save up a little money over time to require less stuff being sold off to get it.
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:41:28 PM »

True true, I guess for me the main thing Id sell would be my 360 since it doesnt seem to be getting the RPG support id want for it, and I kinda bought it impulse anyways.  

I realize the PS3 is something of a risk, in terms of it possibly going the way the N64 went in its era, but still, it seems to have made a comeback, including selling out the Wii last week or month in Japan.  So I think while it had a rough start, its still gonna be the more "hardcore" system for Japan, since I don't see the Wii getting alot of the more adult oriented RPGs that could be placed out.

And again a weary part is the blue ray thing.  I can still see it being used as the format for the PS3, since regradless of it winning in the "war" they cant really change that out without pissing alot of people off, so it would be down to wether or not I also wanted it as a potential HD movie player.

Plus in the end, most of the games id want for the 360 are going to be on the PS3, since alot of companies are doing multiplatform, but with the PS3 theres a greater chance of fun RPG's compared to the 360, and in my opinion with the Wii as well.  DS and PSP are another different story, but for the moment im not wanting a handheld.

Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »

Yeah I decided ill probably just stick with a PS2 for awhile.  Maybe pick up a Wii if I can find one up here (its a fairly small town so stuff usually doesn't sell out like it does in the bigger cities, at least as of a week ago there were two wii's at walmart) and sell it online around xmas for some extra cash (I know, im evil)

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: