Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:51:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319079 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Brush and Quill
| | |-+  What book....?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What book....?  (Read 4079 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2007, 10:45:42 AM »

So with the WGA strike going on right now and a lot of movies basically being scrapped I was thinking...what book or series would you like to see as a movie or show? I know we have had some movies made from books that ended up pretty good; the Harry Potter book movies are (despite the massive cuts) seen to be a good interpretation of the books. We have also ended up with some shitty movies; Eragon, anyone?

So what would make a good movie or series?

My answer would be:
The Nightside books by Simon R. Green. Hell anything by Simon R. Green. His books are fantastic and would be AWESOME movies or TV series.

I also think the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist would be awesome as a series of movies. Especially with the technology available now.

So what would you like to see?

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 02:09:09 PM »

A Song of Ice and Fire by George Martin, but hey...we have this "mysterious HBO miniseries" of it coming....someday.

I'd also love to see the story of Musashi turned into a movie. Such a great story.

Oh and if anyone says Wheel of Time, die in a fire. You know why.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 03:11:19 PM »

I'd like to see a version of Dune that didn't completely suck.

Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 12:04:00 AM »

I'd like the series of books currently written by Steven Erikson turned into a movie(s). At 7 books currently with three more planned it would probably end up sucking since the books are massive and as far as fantasy fiction goes eclipses most other in terms of plot and scope; although the first book was originally written as a fantasy/comedy movie.

The Prince of Nothing series would actually turn into a movie pretty well although the sex is probably pretty graphic as far as movies go, but then again a bird with a man's head masturbating a man with a face composed of tenticles hasn't been done in western movies (I'll leave nothing outside the scope of the Japanese and their...inventiveness), so maybe it would somehow slide by :P

I wouldn't mind seeing The Belgariad turned into a movie, although I could go without any other series by David Eddings movized with the possible exception of the Elenium.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 01:19:57 AM »

Jim Crace's The Pesthouse, Paul Neilan's Apathy and Other Small Victories, and (especially) Yann Martel's Life of Pi.

edit:
I see Life of Pi is going to be a movie. Exciting news for me.

[/url]
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:42:26 AM »

I'd like to see Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" books made into film but it would probably be a bigger project than "The Lord of the Rings".  It's not impossible though, Harry Potter has the same number of books and the movies are well done IMO.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 01:31:41 PM »

Quote from: "D-Rider"

There was a SciFi channel TV movie back in 2000 that was pretty fucking good IMO. I hate the Kyle Maclaughlin version, but this one was pretty good, and hey...it actually followed the book? NO WAI!

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Quote from: "D-Rider"

There was a SciFi channel TV movie back in 2000 that was pretty fucking good IMO. I hate the Kyle Maclaughlin version, but this one was pretty good, and hey...it actually followed the book? NO WAI!

Yeah, that was better than the Lynch version, but the acting was as stiff as Dagg in a boy's locker room.  The only thing I remember clearly about it was that the chick that played Chani had huge tits. :P

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 01:14:52 PM »

Dade beat me to it in regards to ASOIAF. I wonder what the hell is up with the HBO series?

Guy Kavriel Kays Sarantium books.
Donaldsons Mordant's Need books.

I know two series I DON'T want to see made into movies: Robin Hobbs Assassin books, and the Thomas Covenant books. Total downers with lame heroes. The books are fine, but I don't think they would translate to the screen very well.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 01:46:22 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Oh and if anyone says Wheel of Time, die in a fire. You know why.

So, so, SO depressing. My brother's wife broke down in tears when she heard the news.

Before that time, it was fun to make jokes about sending Robert Jordan death threats. "Finish the series before you die, or I'll KILL you!" It isn't funny anymore. :(

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 09:24:59 AM »

The good news is that they announced today who will be finishing the last book.  True to the rumors, Jordan left the book partially written, with tons of notes, hours of audio recordings of him talking about what should happen, etc.  He even told some of his close family members how the book will end before he died.  I can't remember who it is (Sanderson?), but he's written several books before, and Jordan's wife will be editing like she always did.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 09:01:44 PM »

On the ASOIAF HBO TV series:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20161804,00.html

Martin claims the script has already been written/in process of being written (I'm guessing the first season/book) but right now HBO is doing a budget and hasn't given the green-light to begin shooting.

Really that's all I've heard at this point.  I know I'm buying those DVDs the day they hit the shelves.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 09:27:34 PM »

I'd like to see a big budget adaptation of the Amber series by Roger Zelazny. In the right hands, it would be *awesome*.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 04:58:27 PM »

I'm 2/3 of the way through Huw Lyan Thomas' "Better than Real" and though it's a fun if completely unremarkable read, I think this is one book that would translate very well into a screenplay.  I think a 2 hour movie could be made from this book that doesn't chop much out and will keep audiences entertained.  It's a cyberpunk novel, but it's uber-casual cyberpunk that any average joe could comprehend.  The hypothetical "Better than Real" movie is not going to be some academy award winning cinema, but it has what it takes to be an entertaining summer blockbuster.  

Sometimes I think the books that could translate well to movies are ones that book fans might find "casual" or even superficial.  Some of the books many of you folks are into are so packed with detail that any movie adaptation is bound to leave disappointment.  I mean, look at The Golden Compass movie.  Anyone who read the book will be disappointed with the choppiness of the whole thing (many crucial details were omitted or superficially glazed over) and anyone who did not read the book will be completely lost and all "WTF" about what's going on.

Some movies based on books have been quite good.  The Lord of the Rings trilogy was excellent.  I thought The Whale Rider was a great complement to the book; the book took the perspective of one character and the movie took the perspective of a different one so both work together as one comprehensive package.  The NeverEnding Story worked well, partially because the movie only covered the first half or so of the book- the Nothing story arc.  That was an intelligent move, because the post-Nothing part of the book was not as good.

I approve of this nonsense!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: