Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 05:48:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319786 Posts in 13049 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone played Baroque before?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Anyone played Baroque before?  (Read 11447 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2008, 01:00:06 AM »

No no, I certainly like the RPGFan reviews, theyre at least lengthy and explain their rationale (unlike another RPG website)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 09:18:36 AM »

I agree, and RPGfan reviews show that they actually played the game.

The review of Dragoneers Aria is a good example. Most reviews of this game were terrible and short, and after playing the game I could tell that they didn't complete the game or bothered to give it a chance. The RPGfan score is what I would consider accurate and the negatives are explained.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 10:11:51 AM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
I agree, and RPGfan reviews show that they actually played the game.

We certainly appreciate that people take notice to that.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 05:44:26 PM »

Believe me, we do. The difference between, say,  this site's Romancing SaGa review and Game Informer's pretty much speaks for itself. And that's just the first of many examples that comes to my mind.

RPGFan and Gamecritics (and 1up, to a lesser extent) are the only places I really trust for reviews these days.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 06:06:27 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
Believe me, we do. The difference between, say,  this site's Romancing SaGa review and Game Informer's pretty much speaks for itself. And that's just the first of many examples that comes to my mind.

RPGFan and Gamecritics (and 1up, to a lesser extent) are the only places I really trust for reviews these days.

Some of Game Informers reviews are ridiculously short (a measly paragraph), but they still get the point across on whether or not they think you should play the game. If you want reason as to why to play the game though, checking other places is the best option. Game Informer is more for its scores than its text.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2008, 07:03:30 PM »

I successfully traded in some games and obtained Baroque for Wii.  I'm liking it so far, but I don't understand enough yet to even know if what I've learned is to be considered spoileriffic.  

Let that be a testament to how intriguing the game is.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 11:28:08 PM »

Well, this is what I expected. A hardcore game.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »

The only thing I'm not liking about the game is how short it can be.

Code:
When my first successful ending was in an hour and nine minutes, I was like lolwut.  Didn't expect it to be so easy when I just ran like hell from enemies that obliterated me the last couple floors either, heh.

I like how the narrative's done.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
LordGek

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2008, 08:12:16 AM »

Quote from: "Ryos"

Code:
When my first successful ending was in an hour and nine minutes, I was like lolwut.  Didn't expect it to be so easy when I just ran like hell from enemies that obliterated me the last couple floors either, heh.

You can earn one of the "Baroque Titles" if you can clear the tower without killing ANY of the baddies in a run.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 08:13:34 AM »

In the end reviews are only a factor leading to a purchase, the best option is for the buyer to research and try out the product themselves.

Haven't been reviewing much anymore myself since RL is brutal atm with inflation and all that crap and I have to juggle multiple jobs to have a comfy life. LOL.

Well anyway, if i had a chance to review this game I'd say it'll get points from its narrative. Its really unique and quite strong how they present events to you.

For replayability I'll say this game has it but its mainly for completion's sake. the game is great and all, but the value of replayability aside from completion sake just isn't there.

Regardless, those who liked BoF5 or dark, moody games will like this game definately.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2008, 01:10:32 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"

Code:

The shortness has its ups and downs.

Code:

I always know what I want to find when I go in, so I barely ever step on the teleporters before I finish searching the floor.  That inflates my run time.  Plus, I don't have to regret letting myself die after two hours of searching (to deliver the item I was searching for to the outside world), because I can blaze down to that level as fast I need to.

With all of the comparisons, I just want to say that BoF5 was much more stressful than this game.  I'm surprised people thought the combat here was unbalanced.  Maybe they weren't playing on easy like I am?

Anyway, I'm loving it.  Whats with the MegaTen vibe?  Did the Saturn game have this much in common with current MegaTen trends?  I'm seeing monster 'races' named after Tarot cards and the whole catastrophe/rebirth theme is present.  I'm aware that MegaTen is based on real world occult themes, so I know its fair.  Baroque must've been a shoe-in if it wasn't tweaked at all to fit in with Atlus' other games.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »

Quote from: "Fei"
With all of the comparisons, I just want to say that BoF5 was much more stressful than this game.  I'm surprised people thought the combat here was unbalanced.  Maybe they weren't playing on easy like I am?

Whats with the MegaTen vibe?  

Yeah, DQ was much tougher, although it was pretty easy to exploit it once you knew how.  In terms of a learning curve, it was much worse.  I'm playing on normal difficulty though, so I'm not really sure how much easier easy is.

And I don't know about the specific motivations behind the latter, but I do like the general feel of the game.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2008, 10:33:47 PM »

Learning curve? i'd say its up to the individual and how many rpgs they've played. LOL.

I mean, this game just throws you into the middle of things and leave you to figure things out yourself. Essentially this puts you right in the shoes of the main character and his amnesiac status. A cool gimmick if you ask me.
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2008, 09:15:29 AM »

Played for a few more hours and made...zero progress. I think I'm going to start over and play on normal instead of hard.
LordGek

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2008, 09:54:12 AM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
Played for a few more hours and made...zero progress. I think I'm going to start over and play on normal instead of hard.

Yeah, I figured as a Roguelike Veteran I could start on Hard but the actiony aspects (especially juggling the camera and throwing in the heat of battle) forced me, with my tail between my legs, to drop back down to Normal.  I'm at least trying to stick with the spirit of the game and only save when exiting and never loading a save more than once (I hear the save system was greatly tweaked from the Japanese PS2 release in which saves within the Tower could only be made as exiting the game and once loaded they were deleted, so NOWHERE NEAR as abusable as this system).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: