Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 08:17:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319028 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies  (Read 66236 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: July 31, 2006, 09:03:21 AM »

FINALLY watched FF VII: Advent Children
Technically, this was not a good movie. At all.
From a geek perspective, though, I mostly enjoyed it. I liked how they used the music from the game throughout. I liked all the FF references. The CG was great. Most of the action scenes were well done, if not a bit TOO intense. Sometimes I couldn't even tell what was going on.
The "alley-oop" sequence was goddamn stupid and almost ruined the movie for me.
Several things I had comments and questions on, but I'll look up the Advent thread for those. If it's still around somewhere.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: July 31, 2006, 01:05:30 PM »

Stay Alive - Stay away.  It was not good.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: July 31, 2006, 01:29:02 PM »

Quote from: "CluelessWonder"
Stay Alive - Stay away.  It was not good.

Why does that not surprise me in the least? :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2006, 01:32:58 PM »

Is that the teenage slasher flick about a video game? I'm interested in seeing that, just because I want to know exactly how much they get wrong. That was the only enjoyment I got out of My Little Eye (and The Net, for that matter), laughing at all the crazy shit the characters were sprouting about how the internet works.

"My God, it's a B-Site! An unfinished website without an internet adress!!"

Indeed.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2006, 01:51:52 PM »

Quote from: "CluelessWonder"
Monster House -  It is a good film, but it is not a film for little kids.  Jokes will go over their heads and they will probably be scared (like the horrible crying kid sitting behind me in the theater).    

I saw a commercial for that movie where a boy and girl go into the house and the girl says "there's its tongue and that must be its uvula" then the boy says, "Oh, so that must mean it's a girl house" and I thought, "okay, that joke's not gonna fly in a kids' movie.  I'll bet all the grown-ups would laugh and the kids'll be all like 'what's so funny?  I don't get it.' "  

Man, I'm behind on movies.  I still have to see Cars, Monster House, and A Scanner Darkly (which my friend said was awesome.)

I approve of this nonsense!
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2006, 12:12:09 AM »

Bought and watched V for Vendetta today. While I do like the movie it wasn't as enjoyable for me the second time around. I think it is a well done movie and all, but it doesn't have the depth of the graphic novel. It seems they tried to make up for it by toning down V's complete Byronic hero attitude and having him fall in love with Evey. The graphic novel did suggest some intimacy between them, but there is nothing concrete. I suppose they had to do something about the lack of depth to V's character, and they by no means completely ruined the story as far as I'm concerned because V didn't go so far as to let go of his goal. But it just doesn't quite do the graphic novel justice.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2006, 10:55:24 AM »

Suicide Kings - I liked this movie for the most part. I kinda figured it out about halfway through, but I wasn't sure. Christopher Walken was good, as always. Didn't like the ending, though. The movie seemed confused about whether it wanted to be light-hearted or serious.
[/code]

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: August 12, 2006, 10:53:53 AM »

I saw V for Vendetta the other week. I honestly thought it wasn't going to be that good, but then it was. The story, while not being that good, did actually make sense and did have one or two quite surprising plot twists. Hugo Weaving made V sound like a cross between Elrond and Agent Smith, and
Code:
the Northern accent he puts on at one point shows he can do just about any accent other than his own, Australian one.

Funnily enough, Jimmy, even the guy who did the graphic novel hates it for its innaccuracy. That, and all the Americanisms - you can tell he's British.

I think they're trying to be ironic with John Hurt as a fashist prime minister, as he was Winston Smith in one of the films of 1984, i think - the opposite of his role here.
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: August 12, 2006, 12:45:52 PM »

Miami Vice - Very...not so good. Apart from the basics I had no idea what was going on, and most of the dialogue was incomprehensible. Plus, the handheld grainy-cam thing was very overused.

The shootout, when it finally came, was pretty great, as you'd expect from Michael Mann. It was seriously...meaty would be the best word. Shots blew people apart, tore into cars, it was mighty impressive.

I had a stupid dream

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: August 14, 2006, 04:06:02 PM »

Saw two movies over the weekend:
Hostel - The only good thing about this movie was all the naked chicks. I wasn't scared even once. The torture stuff, while certainly bothersome when imaginng it happening to you, just didn't work for me. Simply put... this was not a good movie.

Scarface - Always wanted to see this. Now I have. Yay, or something. Lots of damn obvious lessons to be learned from this one, huh? I wouldn't call this a great movie, but it was entertaining, if a TAD over the top. Never understood Tonys desire for Elvira. Could a girl be any more boring? I guess she was just part of his "The world belongs to you" ambitions.

Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: August 14, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »

Are We There Yet? - I was very bored yesterday, and it was on TV. Screw you all. It did have one moment of pretty funny physical comedy though.

The Thin Red Line - Amazing war film. Came out the same year as Saving Private Ryan, why it isn't held as highly, if not higher, is beyond me. It's a far better film.

I had a stupid dream

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: August 14, 2006, 10:53:10 PM »

Quote from: "GrimReality"

Scarface - Always wanted to see this. Now I have. Yay, or something. Lots of damn obvious lessons to be learned from this one, huh? I wouldn't call this a great movie, but it was entertaining, if a TAD over the top. Never understood Tonys desire for Elvira. Could a girl be any more boring? I guess she was just part of his "The world belongs to you" ambitions.

Im so glad someone else feels this way.  Yeah its good, great lessons, but Christ it was longer than need be.  I did like it, but its over-rated and all this merchandice has come out for it lately for some strange reason.
Anyways.

Saw I & II- THANK GOODNESS for this flick, I haven't seen a good horror in a while!  The best parts are easily the last five minutes of the flicks topped off with that wicked soundtrack piece as your jaw drops.

Vanilla Sky- I liked it.  Contrary to popular views (I hear the original [Abre Los Ojos] is, believe it or not, better).  One thing particularily great was how the movie sometimes felt like it had a dream-ish quality to it.

Cinderella Man- I'm convinced that this movie did less-than-stellar at the box office was because of the rather unappealing title.  However, this was indeed a really good movie.  Great cinementography, espcially during the fight scenes; which demand to be played in stereo.

Trainspotting- why the hell is this movie regarded so highly?!  Yeah it was pretty cool, a bit freaky at times, but the ending was a bit off-putting, and the characters more fucked up then the next.  Ah well, the flick had three saving graces: the toilet scene, the pool table story, and the cinementography making each shot very interesting to watch (especially while Ewan is going through heroin withdrawl)

Almost Famous- great flick for aspiring bands, and a great cast as well!!  This movie was lots of fun.  My only nit-pick was the somewhat abrupt ending, ya feel kind of short-changed when it comes to learning about the other characters.

Dogma- what a great great movie.  One thing to love about Kevin Smith is his ability to handle dialogue, and his ability to create memorable.....ummm, memorable nouns really. From Buddy Christ, to Mooby's, to some desedant of the Hicks family.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: August 18, 2006, 12:55:40 AM »

Just got back from Snakes On A Plane.

Honestly, I liked it more than I expected. And I was expecting a lot.

[/url]
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: August 20, 2006, 04:49:52 AM »

Silent Hill has got to be one of the most stupid, twisted movies I've watched in a very long time.

Blah.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Degolas

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: August 20, 2006, 08:20:04 AM »

Being John Malkovich - It's just great.

I had a stupid dream