Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 10:17:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338143 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Dragonball movie
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Dragonball movie  (Read 12861 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 09:41:45 PM »

You guys need to watch "Hitler loves Dragonball." It sums up most of my opinions of a movie I haven't even seen.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2008, 12:17:48 PM »

Wow, it's been 4 years since people started to talk about this. My first thought was: it's going to suck. The pics confirm it, there's just no way it's going to live up to the anime. They shouldn't even have tried, when you think about everything that made DB so great you realize that it can't be captured in a movie. The charisma of the characters, you can't just put togheter a bunch of actors and expect the fans to empathize with them instanly. I look at those pics and I don't even know who is who. I'll be seing a movie based on a series that is literally a huge part of my childhood and I won't even be able to recognize the characters. So that's Goku? OK. Could have been anyone actually. The charisma of the animated character is gone and can't be replaced. The story that spawned over hundreds of episodes, where you saw the characters grow and understood their personalities and the way their relations evolved throughout the years, all that will be replaced by some lame generic story involving a martial arts tournament and some bad guy with evil intentions. That could be any action film.

And piccolo is supposed to turn green towards the end. WTF? He turns green?!

I know I'm not making any sense but I'm just sure it's going to be really bad. It may not be a bad action flick, but I'm pretty sure it will be a bad DB movie.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 07:47:10 AM »

The trailer is up:

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/479331/dragonball-evolution/videos/dragonball_int_trlrc_121108.html

Not impressed.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
arizlaan

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 08:03:14 AM »

Well I have also which the trailer...I must say, that its was not what i was expecting at all.
it just dose not  seem right to me

god is god
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 09:09:03 AM »

Yeah, I found out Ayumi Hamasaki is going to be singing the theme song for this movie. It's a shame, Japan's top pop idol singing a song for an awful movie that will be seen worldwide.

Anyways, my impressions of the trailer:

-Why the fuck is Goku white. He looks Asian in the fucking anime/manga.
-Why the fuck does Roshi NOT have white hair and glasses (and partially bald?)
-Where the fuck is Krillin? They couldn't find a bald midget or something?
-Why is Bulma's hair black? And why the fuck does she have guns?
-Why the fuck is Piccolo...white? The fucker is supposed to be green.
cloudmd23

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2008, 01:22:51 PM »

I really want to try to like this movie, I really do. But I know when I watch this, I'm going to be disappointed. The whole point of doing a movie adaption of something is to... well... "adapt" it, and so far there have been too many changes to even call this a Dragonball movie anymore. Like the above poster said, Goku is white, Piccolo is not green, and there's no way Chow Yun Fat can pull off a perverted character like Roshi. And why is Goku in high school in this movie? Goku never went to school! That's where much of the show got its humor is that Goku is dumber than a box of rocks and says things about how marriage is a kind of food and so forth. I hope the final film will prove me wrong, but I seriously doubt it...
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »

Dude. The problem does not lie in the actual roles given to the character. Goku can be white, Chow Yun fat can play Roshi, and Piccolo is in fact green (he wasn't before, but now he is).

The problem is that the movie is basically a remake of The Forbidden Kingdom, just with aliens and bad hair.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 02:37:09 PM »

Goku being white is pretty much the prime example of Hollywood Male Asianphobia.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 05:18:56 PM »

Ya'll are a bunch of haters.  21st Century Fox is trolling the entire world, and I think it's hilarious.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:24 PM »

Goku being white is pretty much the prime example of Hollywood Male Asianphobia.

You should look at the casting for Avatar: The Last Airbender. Pretty much everyone in the original material was Asian or was Asian-looking, and every single one of them have been replaced with White actors.
Sebastian

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 07:01:18 PM »

The problem is that the movie is basically a remake of The Forbidden Kingdom, just with aliens and bad hair.

Forbidden Kingdom being a spin-off of "Journey to the West", while Dragon Ball was inspired by "Journey to the West", kung-fu flicks, and the latter half (DBZ) taking inspiration from sci-fi elements (aliens, time travel, etc.,). So the connection is uncanny.

The Dragon Ball Evolution film is taking elements from generic Superheroes, Dragon Ball and DragonBall Z, then meshing them together. Son Goku isn't very well....Goku. He seems more laid back and Peter Parker-ish. The only redeeming quality being Marsters's interpretation of Piccolo. It's pretty decent.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »

Goku's not fucking Asian, though.

He's from an entirely different planet. Is the basis of his "race" not open to interpretation?

There are so many more noteworthy things to be complaining about.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting something faithful in anymore than style. Wasn't going to set myself up for the inevitable disappointment that most fans do with adaptations.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 08:18:02 PM by everluck » Logged

[/url]
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »

Yeah, but most of the characters look more Asian than white in the manga/anime.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2008, 12:16:20 AM »

He was designed to look Asian. I believe the creator once said that Dragonball was supposed to be the Asian Superman (You can see the similarities- they're both Aliens, they're both superpowered. Superman does look Jewish, based on his creators, and Kal El means "of god" or something). What I don't understand is if you made Goku Asian you would be satisfying everyone- the people who are complaining he's not Asian wouldn't complain and the people who don't care just don't care.

They obviously don't have a problem casting Chichi with an Asian actress, and that's something that really irritates me.

Really, DB shouldn't be getting a Hollywood treatment at all- it would make more sense for it to get a HK cinema treatment, I'd think.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 12:21:44 AM by Hathen » Logged
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2008, 12:21:47 AM »

He was designed to look Asian. I believe the creator once said that Dragonball was supposed to be the Asian Superman (You can see the similarities- they're both Aliens, they're both superpowered. Superman does look Jewish, based on his creators, and Kal El means "of god" or something). What I don't understand is if you made Goku Asian you would be satisfying everyone- the people who are complaining he's not Asian wouldn't complain and the people who don't care just don't care.

Really, DB shouldn't be getting a Hollywood treatment at all- it would make more sense for it to get a HK cinema treatment, I'd think.
Yeah, I see the point there with him being the Asian Superman. That would be justifiable. In that context it almost seems like a total culture drain.

Wasn't there already a Hong Kong DBZ movie?

[/url]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: