Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 10:38:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337993 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  The Helper Monkey
| | |-+  Disgaea Hour of Darkness Display Problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Disgaea Hour of Darkness Display Problem  (Read 2627 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:29:21 PM »

Alright my Satin Silver PS2 finally arrived, so I hooked it up with a MONSTER brand Component Cable.  Anyways, despite the few games I have not being Progressive, they seem to be running fine.  However when I put in the Disgaea disc, the screen is cut in two, with a strange line running horizontally through the middle.  On the top is the game, and on the bottom is either black, or if you switch from TV to Component 1, it will have a frozen screen of whatever was last on TV.

Is this a game problem? Do I need to try and get a replacement?  Is it a cable problem?  I tried using the stock AV cable and Disgaea will display fine, so im thinking its either that Disgaea doesnt want to display properly with a component cable or that for some reason its having problem outputting even though my other games seem to work fine.

Ive tried messing with the PS2's screen size setting, my HDTV's screen size setting, but it doesnt seem to do anything.  Its a tad frustrating, I mean I can play it with the AV cables, but im sacrificing quality of course, so id love to get it to work with my component cables.

Thanks guys.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 09:14:59 AM »

As they say in my line of work, it's "working as designed."  NIS decided that if you're playing Disgaea with component cables, you're obviously hardcore and need the difficulty of the game ramped up.  Clearly, since this is a display question, the best way to do so was to make you play blind.  Have fun with the new, more studly version!

;)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 06:50:24 PM »

lol...good to know.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 07:15:50 PM »

Do you have Ico or any PS1 games you can stick in? I'm guessing it runs at 480i BUT maybe it's not friendly with 240p signals. 240p is what most PSX games run at (though they'll go into 480i for some things, like menus in the case of Chrono Cross). I tested it out on the TV the PS2's hooked too, and it ran fine.

Also, uhhh, it's better to just go to monoprice.com for cables or find some cheap ones, Monster's over priced and advertising stuff that is probably imaginary.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 08:19:50 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Also, uhhh, it's better to just go to monoprice.com for cables or find some cheap ones, Monster's over priced and advertising stuff that is probably imaginary.

This man speaks the truth.
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 08:41:27 PM »

lol no worries, I only payed 19.97 shipped for the cables brand new so *shrug*.

And no I dont have any PS1 games nor Ico.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 08:59:36 PM »

Damn, that makes testing a bit less convenient. Well, I decided to google Disgaea and 240p, and I got this. The HDTV I have (not the TV I tested Disgaea on) can display 240p, but I know someone else had to use other cables for games displaying in that. Also for Monster: well, the deal you got wasn't much more expensive than other cables so that's not bad, but it's best to keep Monoprice in mind if you get HDMI later and whatnot, basically everything in B&M stores is a rip.
Serene Prophet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 09:06:13 PM »

Yeah no prob, I bookmarked the site, I appreciate it.

And hrmm, strange, well like I said it works with the basic AV cables that come with the PS2, so I just need to take the component out of the console and plug the av into it and it will work, since ive got both hooked up to my HDTV in the back.

But I wanted to ask, since I was confused, but thanks for the help folks, appreciate it!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: