Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 05:00:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334853 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Vesperia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Vesperia  (Read 25904 times)
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2008, 09:45:42 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

To be fair, this wouldn't require the extra steps of modding a PS2 or getting an import one.

still would present a language barrier for most IF it remained jp exclusive, which was what i was getting at with using the PS2 Symphonia game as an example...
Blue Bullet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: May 29, 2008, 02:23:21 PM »

Quote from: "calintz"
Quote from: "Eusis"

To be fair, this wouldn't require the extra steps of modding a PS2 or getting an import one.

still would present a language barrier for most IF it remained jp exclusive, which was what i was getting at with using the PS2 Symphonia game as an example...

But, wasn't symphonia destined on the first place to never make it to US shores if it weren't for nintendo specially funding the localisation?

Everlasting Junk Story - In motion -
Currently Playing: Stella Deus
Jonathan Ingram
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »

The demo`s on the marketplace. Why no impressions here yet? :)
I`m currently in the process of downloading it.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2008, 10:57:21 AM »

Quote from: "Jonathan Ingram"
The demo`s on the marketplace. Why no impressions here yet? :)
I`m currently in the process of downloading it.

Japanese or English? If it is Japanese then you know why. I also haven't seen any news about it being on the marketplace, which doesn't bode well for the marketing department.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2008, 11:03:49 AM »

I already beat it, and I'm disappointed.  I haven't played many Tales games... just Symphonia and Phantasia.  This game feels like a step backwards from Symphonia.  I used the hell out of the hop backwards that you could do in Symphonia to avoid incoming attacks or whatever.  I couldn't do it in this game.  I also couldn't find a way to jump over enemy monsters... I could jump straight up though.

When I bought Symphonia, I had a blast right from the get-go.  Vesperia on the other hand, wasn't fun to me.  It's a prettier Tales game with what seems like features taken out.  If there is some way to do those two things I speak of that I somehow missed, it's still a detriment, because controls should be intuitive.

Going to have to sit back and read more on the game... as it stands, I'm no longer certain of picking the game up.  At least the dubbing was OK.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »

The hop-back isn't as important now that the Flex Range is in place, as you can run away in 3D from the attacks. I loved Symphonia's system more than the Abyss' system, but the Tales fanboy in me still wants this game. I haven't been disappointed in both of Team Symphonia's games so far, but having to use a third controller for another games makes me a little mad. I loved the GC controller for Symphonia better than the Sixasis I used for the Abyss.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2008, 12:09:09 PM »

My bias will kick in: I find most Tales battles arn't really fun to start with, but rather generic until you get second tier skills (that actually rack up damage), and get skills and learn everything (in Abyss; AD skills were god)

I for one, look forward to this.  And, as Dalucifer0 says; these games haven't disappointed me thus far. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »

Downloaded the demo, but haven't tried it yet.  I hope it's not like the Eternal Sonata demo where it forces whichever language your console is tied to.  In any case, to be honest, I don't have very high hopes for it: it looks rather pretty, but Tales of Symphonia never clicked with me.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2008, 02:33:40 PM »

So I looked up the demo on google and it says that the whole thing is in English, so why isn't it out in NA? Thats dumb...

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »

Having given it a second attempt, apparently you can jump over enemies, but it's not easy.  The range on the analog stick that takes into account that you want to jump over something instead of straight up is way too narrow.  What I end up doing is running, then arc upward for it to try to trigger a running jump, but half the time I end up jumping too late and an enemy hits me, defeating any point in trying.

I started playing around with moving around more on the battlefield since you're no longer limited to a 2D plane, but I don't like it.  It introduces an extra element in a battle engine that I really think didn't need it.  It's annoying to try to jump, I can't do a defensive hop backwards, and I really hate how the attack combo where you hold towards the enemy ends up hitting nothing but air on certain monsters in the demo with the main character.

Meh.
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »

I just finished downloading the demo off of the Japanese marketplace. I almost wasn't going to even try after the whole NG2 demo mess but I was able to download it no problem. I'll give it a try in a few minutes.

Namco did the same thing last year with the Eternal Sonata demo. It's totally their call. It probably would have been best for them to do what Microsoft did with NG2 because as I remember it when the ES demo was released stateside it was met with little fanfare unlike when it was first released in the JP marketplace when people were scrambling to make JPN live accounts to grab it.

Rita's voice sounds like the same person who voiced Etna in Disgaea:Afternoon of Darkness.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2008, 07:39:32 PM »

Quote from: "Parn"
I used the hell out of the hop backwards that you could do in Symphonia to avoid incoming attacks or whatever.  I couldn't do it in this game.  I also couldn't find a way to jump over enemy monsters... I could jump straight up though.

Hop backwards I dunno, might be a special skill you can unlock later on in the game in the retail version.

As to the jumping thing, I had no problems jumping over enemies at all. I was able to jump over all except the flying enemies and the boss. Maybe it's because you're using semi auto, maybe? If not I have no clue. The controls are somewhat clunky, though I dunno if it's only because of Yuri's attack lag time or the actual interface that's the problem.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2008, 07:54:17 PM »

Who knows.  Since it's a demo and not the final product, I'm going to sit back and wait for player reaction.  I haven't given up on the game completely, but it is no longer a day one purchase.  I'm not paying $60 for a game I will get frustrated with, not after Ninja Gaiden II (game started sucking with the chapter 7 boss and onward).
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »

Just tried the demo.  Sadly, my Asian console forced it into Japanese, but I still messed around a bit with the battle system.  I'm no huge expert on the Tales of series, but Tales of Vesperia seemed pretty similar to Tales of Symphonia albeit with a new cast and better graphics.

Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »

I actually wish they started little bit closer to the beginning of the game so I would be able to freely get used to the controls. Still buying.

Off topic: which difficulty did you play NG2 on? The later chapters are the best ones in the game.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: