Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 03:45:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319191 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Tales of Vesperia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Tales of Vesperia  (Read 24477 times)
Reluctant Hero

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2007, 06:40:39 PM »

FYI, Namco Bandai always trademarks a few names for the next Tales of... title but in the end only one ends up being utilized.  Tales of Strife and Tales of Valoria will not exist.

Quote from: "Miho"
I hate to say it, but for a long time now, the Tales series has gone to the dumps. Tales of Phantasia was an excellent game; as were the Tales of Destiny games, but pretty much, after that, the series has gotten worse and worse.

Edit: As for this game, it looks nice, but I hope they make the story interesting this time around, instead of having a typical plot, with typical characters.

The question comes to mind: "Did this guy really play the games he speaks ill of?"  Phantasia was definately an excellent game but Destiny was terrible.  Eternia (aka Destiny II in the US) excelled further in quality than its predecessor but by no means did the series begin to rot in the coming installations.  Symphonia -- although I agree is highly overrated -- is charming in its execution and simplicity that I can only describe is similar to a Dragon Quest game.  Rebirth probably has the most intense battle system in the series and the theme of "racist tension" puts a nice spin in character interaction.  The Abyss.... maaaaaannnnnnn... I've said it before, is my favorite RPG on the PS2.  The "prophecy" story is not an original element but the curveballs the plot throws are desirable.  Near the end something happened where I actually cupped my mouth in shock.  I'll write a review for RPGFan some time...

Legendia is the only installment that I can really describe as "meh."  Other than that, Namco Tales Studio has been consistent.  Tales of... may lose some originality points in the story department but plots always tend to twist and turn and the characters are given life with good interaction, often given distinctive dialogue and talented voice actors (shut up, Fayt.)

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 07:15:58 PM »

Keep in mind that MelFes created Legendia, not Namco Tales Studio, so the "meh" Tales in your opinion was the fault of Team Destiny nor Team Symphonia.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2007, 01:54:56 AM »

Quote from: "Reluctant Hero"
The question comes to mind: "Did this guy really play the games he speaks ill of?" Phantasia was definately an excellent game but Destiny was terrible. Eternia (aka Destiny II in the US) excelled further in quality than its predecessor but by no means did the series begin to rot in the coming installations. Symphonia -- although I agree is highly overrated -- is charming in its execution and simplicity that I can only describe is similar to a Dragon Quest game. Rebirth probably has the most intense battle system in the series and the theme of "racist tension" puts a nice spin in character interaction. The Abyss.... maaaaaannnnnnn... I've said it before, is my favorite RPG on the PS2. The "prophecy" story is not an original element but the curveballs the plot throws are desirable. Near the end something happened where I actually cupped my mouth in shock. I'll write a review for RPGFan some time...

Legendia is the only installment that I can really describe as "meh." Other than that, Namco Tales Studio has been consistent. Tales of... may lose some originality points in the story department but plots always tend to twist and turn and the characters are given life with good interaction, often given distinctive dialogue and talented voice actors (shut up, Fayt.)

Fair enough. Admittedly, I've only played a lot of Tales of Legendia, and it's /very/ boring so far. The characters are uninspiring, and the story is a yawn fest. I have heard good things about Tales of the Abyss.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2007, 02:52:43 AM »

I remember when Tales of Legendia came out and it was right on the heels of the Symphonia fungasm and all of the reviewers were pretty much WTF? That being said, I didn't like Phantasia because it's slow as hell and there are way too many random encounters and I think I'm also just going to shuffle it under "I have hang-ups with games that look like action-rpgs but really aren't*" and say that I think the series (mind, I've only played Phantasia, Eternia, and Symphonia) has made massive strides since.

Also, yes, comparing Symphonia to Dragon Warrior is pretty apt. And the game kept the dungeons interesting with that ringamabob and enemies visible on the maps.

Except I've never really found out what cooking is for in the series :( I mean, yes, healing, but how is it more useful than just using gels?

* Namely, you know how in Eternia** and Symphonia, when you press the attack button, your character swings their weapon, and moving around a lot is actually important, whereas in Phantasia it's more like Star Ocean 2, wherein you just hit the attack button and your characters sort of run up and do their thing automatically and then run back? Yeah. I don't really dig that.

** I mean after you visit the dojo. Not by default obviously.

(shut up, Fayt.)

SO3 :(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2007, 10:19:58 AM »

Haven't multiple development houses worked in a few Tales games.  I know Alfa System did Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology and a few others.  ToW:RM had a brilliant battle engine, but fell short in most other areas.

I approve of this nonsense!
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 10:26:17 AM »

Development of pretty much all portable releases has indeed been outsourced, with Alfa System taking care of almost all recent releases.

As for the other debate, there is something called opinion and people who aren't big fans, probably can't appreciate the series as much as you do, ReluctantHero.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 11:07:09 AM »

Trailer Here

Found it from a link on IGN. Looks more like a PS3 game to me than a Wii game.
B.K.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 01:12:20 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"

Apparently, it's going to be a Xbox 360 game. Some of the people over at NeoGAF have said that the source code for the game's website said it was 360, but Bandai Namco quickly removed it.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2007, 01:47:42 PM »

I see no reason for it to be on the 360 (and I'm no PS3 fanboy or anything.) The Tales series gets most of its revenue in Japan, and 15 people in Japan own a 360....
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »

There is always the chance that Microsoft has paid big bucks for the game to be a timed exclusive, before it will eventually end up being ported to PlayStation 3. Besides, Bandai Namco has not exactly been a big supporter of PlayStation 3 thus far.
Reluctant Hero

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2007, 07:34:44 PM »

Keep in mind that MelFes created Legendia, not Namco Tales Studio, so the "meh" Tales in your opinion was the fault of Team Destiny nor Team Symphonia.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  Thanks for pointing that out.  With that said I'm now looking at Innocence in a different light being developed by Alfa System (although I did enjoy Radiant Mythology.)  I suppose since Team Symphonia has its hands full with KoR I'm almost absolutely certain that Team Destiny will be helming Vesperia.  And if it truly is for the 360 then it'd make sense if Microsoft handed Namdai a briefcase full of dead presidents, as the professor pointed out.  Besides FF and DQ Tales is arguably Japan's most profitable RPG franchise.

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
As for the other debate, there is something called opinion and people who aren't big fans, probably can't appreciate the series as much as you do, ReluctantHero.

Sure.  But I expressed the educated guess that Miho had not played enough of the series despite making the comment that it progressively got worse.  He gracefully admitted to it.  My intent was not to bash him in anyway, simply to encourage him to play some of the greater moments of Tales of...

Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2007, 01:59:45 AM »

Quote from: "B.K."

Apparently, it's going to be a Xbox 360 game. Some of the people over at NeoGAF have said that the source code for the game's website said it was 360, but Bandai Namco quickly removed it.

The source code on that line also accidentally included the words "Tales of Innocence" (the title of the DS game obviously) at that time according to screenshots of the webpage's source code before they removed it.  It still could have been an accidental leak though, who knows...guess the wait to find out continues.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2007, 03:50:15 AM »

Quote from: "Reluctant Hero"
The question comes to mind: "Did this guy really play the games he speaks ill of?"  Phantasia was definately an excellent game but Destiny was terrible.

I'll stop you right there. Why, if it's such a terrible game, has Destiny seen so much success? Why the PS2 remake with a director's cut? Do you think that, because you have a lot of experience with the series, you can say with some level of authority that Tales of Destiny was a BAD game? Because I liked it quite a bit, and I too have a fair amount of Tales under my belt.

Also, for the love of God, "definately" is not a word. That's not even some sort of ass-backwards alternate Canadian spelling. It's DEFINITELY. Learn the word, then come back and try to explain to me what makes Tales of Destiny a bad game...

Ramza

Reluctant Hero

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2007, 07:18:31 PM »

If you felt as if I was speaking for everyone -- especially you -- then you were mislead, pal.  Even though I apparently hurt your feelings my opinion of Destiny stays firm and, IMO/in my opinion/from my own views/based on my own personal perspective, its original PSX release doesn't represent the series well.  And even though I don't feel I owe you an explanation, here's one anyway.  Ready?

Okay here goes: To ask a question like "Why the PS2 remake...?" seems almost oxymoronic.  Destiny's incarnation on the PS2 was turned on its head and the game was damn near unrecognizable.  Primary elements like the visual style and battle system were completely revamped.  Why do you think they did that?  Let's dissect the original game for a second... a nicely done battle system can only do so much for an extremely high encounter rate and a cliche-ridden story with almost unbearable sluggish pacing.  Let's face it, the game bears an uncanny resemblance to Phantasia right down to inhereting its same flaws (with an added frowny face for its particularly slow-moving plot.)  Phantasia was a welcome addition to JRPG gaming because it pushed it forward but its sequel just sits there lazily indulged in a formula.  No improvements.  Calling the game "terrible" may be harsh and over the line, but I'll say that even though I disagree with the several people here that call the series "uninspired" the word fits Destiny like a glass slipper.  You can say the title needed a remake to find an identity among the other installments if you can imagine how easily such a mediocre game can get lost in the shuffle.  Granted, I'll admit that the order I played the games in is Phantasia, Destiny II/Eternia and Destiny which may have swerved my judgement.  Butt yu r definately free too think wut yu want tu tihnk bekauz supposably we hav dat rite if iklajdlk la lkjdflkgj ldaf.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2007, 08:40:16 PM »

Bottom line with any prolific RPG series: you get some gold, some meh, and some stinkers.  Okay?  The same could be said for Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Megami Tensei, what have you.  

We can piss, moan, and argue about the series all we like but it still exists, it's still doing what it's doing, and there have been recent announcements of new ones.  Love or hate the series and its installments all you want, but I still posit that North American gamers haven't gotten enough Tales games.  I heart the battle system.  

We'll just have to play the waiting game with Vesperia to see which rumors are true.  We'll have to wait to see whether or not Tales of Innocence will be published on the US DS.

I approve of this nonsense!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: