Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:34:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332823 Posts in 13638 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Games of the Year
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Games of the Year  (Read 2913 times)
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 11:17:31 PM »

I'd say P3 myself, but then again I've finished about zero RPGs this year (some things just don't change), so I might not be the best point of reference. Any one have a list of all the moderate-to-good RPGs?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 11:48:05 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
(how much money did we get out of that?)

Was it enough to keep it from being nominated Most Disappointing Game?
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2007, 01:38:39 AM »

For the five or so hours I played Odin Sphere, I can't remember a single song. Then again, for that matter, I can't remember a single song from the 20 some hours I played FFXII, and I wasn't even aware VS actually had music and not just ambient sounds until someone gave me a torrent for the soundtrack, so I guess I'm just some sort of plebe with massive plebeian tastes.

Anyway, I haven't played very many videogames as a whole this year, given that the current consoles cost too damn much and my PC is outdated, but here are the games that were released this year that I remember playing:

Rogue Galaxy
Odin Sphere
Dwarf Fortress: Version Next!
Persona 3
Trilby: The Art of Theft

So, of those, I couldn't get into Rogue Galaxy, I thought Odin Sphere was stupid and I have no idea why people are obsessing over it other than being really pretty, I think Dwarf Fortress is probably the best game in existence, I think Persona 3 is probably the best-designed PS2 game, and I'm not particularly far in Trilby but it seems fine enough.

Old RPGs that I've really enjoyed playing for the first timethis year, though? PRetty much the entire DQ series, but mostly 7 and 8, and also SoulBlazer and Brave Fencer Musashi.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 02:12:24 AM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Being the webmaster, I pulled some strings and decided the game of the year winner myself.

It's Kane and Lynch: Dead Men.

ROFL. Totally good call.

Obviously not enough...

The site's not sporting a sparkly new Kane & Lynch skin...

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 03:59:54 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"

Was it enough to keep it from being nominated Most Disappointing Game?

Haha, Gamespot shot themselves in the foot by even letting people vote on that game. Of course it's going to win the reader's votes. Hopefully this was the plan of the editorial staff, to let the higher-ups see how people felt about the whole situation.

Of course, it was a crappy game. (imo, Blue Dragon deserves a few more votes too).

Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 11:30:56 AM »

I'd say for me, the biggest disappointment for 2007 was Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner for PSP.  My review says why.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2007, 11:56:10 AM »

My biggest disappointment of the year: Seiken Densetsu IV (AKA Dawn of Mana).

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2007, 04:36:45 PM »

It's disappointing to see Persona 3 do so poorly in gamespot's polls (http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/genreawards/index.html?page=10
and http://www.gamespot.com/best-of/specialachievement/index.html?page=5, but i kind of expected that.

I agree with the lot of you, P3 for me.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2007, 04:45:03 PM »

I'm going to wax on why 2007 was such a great year for gaming.  There were so many high quality titles in all genres that there really are no clear runaway winners anywhere.  For every site that lists, say, Bioshock as its best game of the year 2007, there's another one that probably dubs its top honor to Super Mario Galaxy, and yet another one still who may declare Rock Band as 2007's game of the year.  That's pretty cool, I think.  There is no clear one best game for 2007.    

And the one thing I find really interesting in the race for best RPG for 2007 among all the gaming media, the frontrunners are non-Japanese RPGs like The Witcher and Mass Effect.

Of course anyone who knows me even slightly can easily guess what my top RPG for 2007 is.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2007, 05:05:04 PM »

2007 was a great year for gaming, not a very good year for RPGs. Heck, we had, what 3 notable RPGs this year that have gotten talked about: Persona 3 Blue Dragon, and Mass Effect? Seeing that I didn't exactly care for P3 (even though everyone here seems to worship it), and as fun as BD was, I'll go with Mass Effect, which was still not excactly my cup of tea, but I'm starting to get into it again.

For me, though, Game of the Year is an amazing tie between Bioshock and Mario Galaxy... SOOOOO much better than any RPGs that came out this year. I guess Ar Tonelico came out this year too, that was pretty fun, I actually almost finished that game. We'll see if I finish Mass Effect.

Terrible year for RPGs... next year, year 2 of the console wars, will be fucking amazing though. 2006 was amazing as well.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2007, 05:32:40 PM »

I don't know... one could argue that 2007 was a good year for RPGs because there were more RPGs released in 2007 than in many years prior.  I could probably list 20 or more RPGs (Japanese and otherwise) off the top of my head that were released in 2007.  And since my knowledge is limited, there's probably been a LOT more.  So in terms of quantity, 2007 actually has been a good year for RPGs.  

I mean, I remember back in ye olden days when North American gaming markets barely got 1-3 RPGs a year, and even by today's standards 20+  and any I'm forgetting is more RPGs than usual for one year.  Of course by the law of statistics, not all of them can be winners.  In a classroom of 20 kids, not all 20 of them will get A's for the semester.

But I agree that among the Japanese RPGs released in 2007, most were pretty mediocre.  Though I must admit, Naruto: Path of the Ninja for DS was my pleasant surprise for 2007.  I expected that game to suck, but I was pleasantly surprised that it actually had above average storytelling by JRPG standards.

Neal's picks so far:
Disappointment of the year- Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner
Pleasant surprise of the year- Naruto: Path of the Ninja

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2007, 08:51:25 PM »

The only six games I was able to get into this year, listed in order of how much I liked them:

1. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3
2. Shining Force EXA
3. Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja
4. Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon
5. Aedis Eclipse: Generation of Chaos
6. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker

Of course, it's important to remember that DQM was only released last month, so given time, it may surpass RF (I doubt it, though). It damn sure ain't gonna pass Izuna.

Developer of the Year: Neverland
Publisher of the Year: Atlus
Pleasant Surprise of the Year: SFEXA (Reviews led me to believe that it was a rehash, but it was actually a significant improvement over Neo)
Tentative Disappointment of the Year: Mass Effect (I played it for about thirty minutes, and it honestly didn't leave the greatest impression on me. Felt way too much like an FPS for my personal taste. I'll still give it a chance, though, if only 'cause I blew sixty big ones on it.

EDIT: Shit, totally forgot about AE:GOC.

Also thought of a new category:
Game I most wish I had gotten around to playing this year: Super Mario Galaxy
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2007, 06:23:34 AM »

I'd like to agree that 2007 was a good year, but I always have such a hard time remembering what came out during the past months. So I'll just see what I can remember playing. Obviously P3 gets the nomination of GOTY from me, but I did play a lot of other worthy titles. Odin Sphere was really good, even though it had it's share of flaws.

For the five or so hours I played Odin Sphere, I can't remember a single song.

One song that I certainly found soothing was the theme for Pooka Village but I doubt that you've been there yet if you only played for 5 hours. Anyway, Bioshock was a great game though it was too easy and forgiving. Mario Galaxy restored my faith in the plump little plumber as it was simply a lot of fun to play. Uhhhh...

It feels like I'm missing something here. Oh well, in any case, P3 is my pick for GOTY, followed by Odin Sphere, Bioshock and Mario Galaxy in no particular order.

I will find you. Without fail.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »

I only played a few RPGs this year, since I've been busy with other things.  My pick would be Ar Tonelico -- fun game, with awesome music.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: