Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 04:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338003 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  new FFXIII trailer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: new FFXIII trailer  (Read 6209 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2007, 07:25:51 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"

What? Lightning's hair is NOT light brown.

What colour is it then?

Washed out pink. :P
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 07:43:13 PM »

Actually, i couldn't disagree more with Hidoshi, I love Lightning's character design, and ESPECIALLY her fascial expressions. They're very subtle, but they're truely THERE, I was incredibly excited when I saw the little smirk and glimmer reactions around 1:30, I've never seen fascial subtlety done that well. I thought her face was extremely expressive without seeming mellodramatic. Her character design is great, IMO. She does look a little like Ashe, but her style is a little toned down, which I think makes her very UNIQUE for a FF character. I've never been a huge fan of really gaudy dresswear and hair, but she has a more subtle flare that really makes her stand out.

The fact is, if she looks more like an NPC, I think that's a GOOD THING, because the only reason why, up until now, characters have stood out from NPCs, physically, is because game designers didn't have as good of control over things like body language and expression to make characters stand out. In movies and good animation, main characters don't need to stand out, physically, from non-characters, they do it by virtue of being central to the attention of the camera, and their personality draws you in. Games are reaching the point where they work with those elements better, and I think FF13 looks like a great example.

Jesus... I'm really excited for this game now. It's heading in the direction that I think games really should be concentrating on: subtlety of dramatic elements. Neither non-existant expressions/body language like in Mass Effect, and not "in your face" body language like the RPGs of the late PS1 era, but some genuinely subtle expressiveness.

And the soundtrack sounds awesome. FAR better than FF12s non-existant music... this actually has melodic content and drama. It sorta reminds me of Hamauzu. Who's writing it?

I might have to get a PS3 afterall...

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Druff

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »

Wow, after all this time, I never would have expected to see even this low level of excitement for an upcoming FF. Warms the cockles of my heart. =P I'm excited as hell, but that's just par for the course for me. Ever since FFVI came out, I'm been a helpless blob of fanboy putty in FF's hands. I go nuts for every "proper" FF in the series. I tend to ignore all of the spin-offs, including FFX-2. I think FFXIII looks fantastic, and I love the character designs so far. Not too bizarre, not too generic. If Mr. 33cm looks like anyone, to me it would be a cross between Seifer and... I dunno, Barret? Lightning's design screams "HEROINE" to me. Too NPC-like? Hair too washed out? *scratches head* If you say so, I guess. But like with FFVIII, what's really drawing me to FFXIII is the world. What little I've seen of it and what I've read about Pulse vs. Cocoon is really interesting to me.

FFvsXIII, so far that isn't doing anything for me. Yeah yeah, very dark, very bleak, brooding bad ass lead character. Yawn. But I'm sure I'll get more excited about it once FFXIII is out of the way. I can only really get hyped about one FF at a time.

Hidoshi- so you're a character designer. I have to say, you remind me of my brother in law; he's a professional editor. And whenever we watch anything on TV with him in the room, he sits there and provides constant and endless criticism of whatever happens to be on the screen at any given moment, and none of us "lay persons" have any idea WTF he's talking about. He sees things that no "normal" person would ever notice in a million years. To his credit, he's won a lot of awards so I suppose he earned it. If I may ask, which characters have you designed?
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 03:37:01 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
I love Lightning's character design, and ESPECIALLY her fascial expressions. They're very subtle, but they're truely THERE, I was incredibly excited when I saw the little smirk and glimmer reactions around 1:30, I've never seen fascial subtlety done that well.

My words precisely; it's awesome when she stares down that praying mantis monster. It's like she's saying, "You feelin' lucky, punk? Well, do ya?" She's sassy without being cheeky. Her acrobatics are what make her flashy. For once, we may have a heroine who is not a sexual object, and who actually has some sense of dignity without being a bitch.

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
And the soundtrack sounds awesome. FAR better than FF12s non-existant music... this actually has melodic content and drama. It sorta reminds me of Hamauzu. Who's writing it?

Hamauzu's doin' FFXIII, Shimomura's doin' Versus XIII.

I'm excited about FFXIII; more excited than I was about FFX, and helluva lot more excited than I was about FFXII.

In all honesty, to me, FFXII was "just another Final Fantasy," no matter how many "innovations" they put into the game; it was FFXI with characters that actually had back stories this time around.

Quote from: "Sapphire_Fate"
I like the fact that Square finally got the idea of Shiva down pat. It took 13 games for them to realize that Shiva is both the God of Creation AND Destruction, as referenced by the two Shivas, both being Dark and Light forming the motorcycle.

If we're going by Hinduism, Brahma is the Creator, Vishnu, the Preserver, and Shiva, the Destroyer.

Besides, a divine entity transforming into something secular like a motorcycle? Doesn't make sense. "Hey, God just transformed into a vehicle! SWEET!" God works miracles, but that's just ridiculous. P.S. Shiva's supposed to be a dude.

I don't suppose it's bad to call your pet motorcycle "Shiva," but for it to be created out of THEE Shiva is over-the-top.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 03:55:07 PM »

Yeah, I'm psyched. There are elements of FF8 in the world, and FF6 in the characters, two of my favorite games in the series. I loved the world in FF8, it was the most contemporary feel in the series. Day-to-day technology was pretty much at 2000's level (cars, computers, modern railways, etc) without resorting to cyberpunk archetypes... then it had high-tech stuff where it counted: military operations, space travel, etc. FFX and FFXII both had this "stuck back middle-ages, but then really sci-fi at times" thing going on that I really didn't care for. I find myself not interested in space operas (Xenosaga, Star Ocean 3, Mass Effect), because space travel is akward and disjointed. But planet-based sci-fi, especially if it's not TOO futuristic, really excites me. And this is shaping up to be really in hot spot.

I'm sure the PS3 will drop a few more $50 increments by that time, either that or they'll announce a 360 version... either way, I'll be getting FFXIII.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: