Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 01:56:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331556 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star ocean 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Star ocean 4  (Read 9853 times)
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2008, 11:48:14 PM »

The $400 model has a smaller drive and lacks full backwards compatibility.  I don't know about you, but if I'm shopping for a BMW M3, I'm not gonna cut corners and say "no" to a stereo, speakers, and power windows to shave off a couple bucks.  That's silly, heh.

For what the consumer receives (an inferior, limited version of the system), the $400 model is still ridiculously expensive.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2008, 11:56:40 PM »

I don't disagree with you, but for me it was fine because I have a slim PS2 that is only a year old, so I didn't need the backwards compatibility for PS2 games and it plays PS1 games.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2008, 12:01:16 AM »

This wouldn't matter much aside from some convenience in setting consoles up, but they implanted upscaling shortly before dumping full BC, AND the rationale provided by Jack Tretton just makes me angry.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2008, 12:13:43 AM »

I can understand that.  Simply saying that a "price drop" that has "oh, but we removed half of the system's functionality" in fine print isn't a real reduction in cost.

Companies who are rollin' in the bling (Konami, Square Enix) have the financial resources to take risks and develop titles for a console with an unestablished user base.  Atlus, however, is a small developer; I think they're better off playing "conservatively" for the time being.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2008, 12:44:31 AM »

The backwards compatibility issue is an extremely silly one. You either do it right, or don't do it at all. I see it as the weakest component of both the 360 and PS3, but I'm more insulted by the $400 PS3 model because it's crippled for no particularly good reason. The 360 has issues with BWC across the board, so price has nothing to do with it. When you are paying an additional $200 just so your machine isn't horribly crippled, something is wrong with the way consoles are being made. It's like paying extra for having your tires inflated all the way on a car (to keep with Shiggy's analogy).

I'm rather happy some developers are sticking to the PS2. It's a good, solid machine for any regular gamer, and despite lacking online connectivity, I can see another year or two of life in the old girl.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2008, 12:49:10 AM »

You never saved $200 by going without BC. When the 80 half-BC unit was released it was $600 and the old 60 gig dropped to $500, then when the 40 gig unit was rolled out the 80 gig was dropped to $500 too. When the 80 gig's reintroduced with MGS4 it'll keep the same BC but be $500 still. Also, saying it lacks internet connectivity is really dumb. Being behind the PS3, X360, and even the Wii? Yup. Lacking it? Not when every unit has an Ethernet port built in and with a fair few online games!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2008, 01:27:45 AM »

Quote from: "Blace"
I don't disagree with you, but for me it was fine because I have a slim PS2 that is only a year old, so I didn't need the backwards compatibility for PS2 games and it plays PS1 games.

Yeah but, not everyone is going to have that. Some people may have older PS2s like me who want the full BC for all their games.

Thankfully, I got a 60 gig, but I'd be pretty fucked off if I bought an 80 gig PS3 and then my PS2 died shortly after.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2008, 01:29:51 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Also, saying it lacks internet connectivity is really dumb. Being behind the PS3, X360, and even the Wii? Yup. Lacking it? Not when every unit has an Ethernet port built in and with a fair few online games!

My bad, not really lacking, but it's not a strong player in the online community. It doesn't have a dedicated service like LIVE or Home, for instance.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2008, 06:22:12 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
I'm more insulted by the $400 PS3 model because it's crippled for no particularly good reason.

There's plenty good reason: most people don't care about backwards compatibility, and Sony realized that too.  Ditching it was good business sense, because they needed to stay competitive with Microsoft.  Sales on PS3 are way up.  The 40 GB model was perfect.  I paid $100 less to get exactly what I wanted, a console that can play PS3 games and play HD movies.  The other crap is just fluff that a small percentage of gamers care about.
DM Kyle E. Miller
Administrator

foriamthedm@yahoo.com foriamthedm foriamthedm@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »

I'm all for PS2 living as long as possible. Screw overhyped graphics. Long live the PS2 and cheap prices!

As for Star Ocean 4, I don't have a PS3 and don't plan on buying one until it's at least down $300 with a collection of good games (none so far?). The series has always been a disappointment to me, however, and I can't say this looks any better. I'll bet they'll start you out in space, but shove you on some typical JRPG world with bad voice actors. Even if they do stay in space, I can't imagine them hitting Mass Effect quality.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2008, 11:34:08 PM »

Quote from: "DM Kyle E. Miller"
I'm all for PS2 living as long as possible. Screw overhyped graphics. Long live the PS2 and cheap prices!

As for Star Ocean 4, I don't have a PS3 and don't plan on buying one until it's at least down $300 with a collection of good games (none so far?). The series has always been a disappointment to me, however, and I can't say this looks any better. I'll bet they'll start you out in space, but shove you on some typical JRPG world with bad voice actors. Even if they do stay in space, I can't imagine them hitting Mass Effect quality.

I agree with everything except that I love the Star Ocean games. I though Star Ocean 3 "surprise" ending was hilarious. Star Ocean 3 seemed cheezy to me so I expected a cheesy finally to the game and it delivered. Not every game needs an epic award winning story, it can just be campy fun. I expect the same from Star Ocean 4. I hope being able to fly a space ship around will open losts of worlds to explore.

Then again, this is from a guy that enjoyed Rogue Galaxy's story so I guess I have a high tolerance for cheese.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2008, 06:20:19 PM »

Quote from: "DM Kyle E. Miller"

I sometimes worry that the gaming industry won't survive if we don't pay the exorbitant prices that companies want (need?) for their products...

I fear that anti-violence lobbyists are finally starting to take their toll.
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2008, 10:27:10 PM »

Getting back on the topic of the SO 4 trailer for a second...

It was pretty-looking and all, buit it would have been nice for some story or gameplay details to have been shown, though the main guy looks like a cross between Claude and Fate judging by what little of his face we saw.  I've still yet to play the very first game or Blue Sphere (yeah, I know, I fail as an SO fan :P), but I've still enjoyed Second Story and TtEoT.

As for the whole next gen console arguement, I'm perfectly happy with my PS2, PS1, Gamecube, and Dreamcast for the moment.  I'm in no huge hurry to pick up the next gen stuff, but hopefully the prices for them will be more reasonable by the time I am.  The only console I'm remotely considering is a Wii, since that has games that actually look fun.

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2008, 10:32:45 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
I fear that anti-violence lobbyists are finally starting to take their toll.

Yeah, I don't see those as draining enough money to invalidate profit. I'd instead blame the rising costs of development and the fact spending a lower budget can result in no sales or even be rejected by the hardware manufacturers.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2008, 10:42:18 PM »

Mmm... Being a Prequel I expect the story to be something like this: Oh We discovered a new race in space and guess what? they want to destroy/conquer earth! Here enters the chosen ones, the ones who can carry the new/lost/ancient power of the human race the wizardry, this combined with technology will save the universe... blah blah blah...

Well I guess I should stop watching stargate for sometime... anyway I wouldn´t be surprised if the plot turns out this way...

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: