Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 10:44:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334690 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Star ocean 4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Star ocean 4  (Read 9885 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2008, 10:59:35 PM »

There's something else I wanted to say about the whole BC thing but forgot earlier: maybe I'm honestly just selfish here, but I think we need BC so games can safely linger beyond the shelf life of their parent consoles. Maybe I'm just being idiotically hopeful, seeing as how the Game Industry is an extreme for shelving older stuff for the hottest and newest, and unlike any other medium it has the mechanical element akin to electronics that simply makes older, poorer playing games obsolete, but I'd still like it if I could find games like FFVII years later without too much difficulty and for GameStop to have less excuse to quickly ditch older platforms.

But we're getting kinda sidetracked here. Not that there's anything to say about that new trailer beyond WOW LOOK AT THAT SCENERY AT THE END.

Edit: All the other features changed/dropped with the 40 gig version, on the other hand, I don't really care about and have easy enough solutions. Just how many people used the card slots outside of the novelty of looking at photos on the PS3?
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2008, 01:47:00 AM »

I know Iím continuing to take this off topic, but Iím really happy that I joined up with the current gen a few months ago. My Xbox 360 has given me a ton of fun, and there are still plenty of games that I haven't had the chance to play. There really isnít anything on the PS2 thatís being released or has recently been released that Iím interested in, so the jump to the 360 was perfect for me. Heck, this might actually be the first generation where I grab all 3 consoles (although Iím not really sold on the Wii, only a couple of games have really interested me).

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2008, 06:00:30 AM »

To put this on topic,

I want planetary exploration.

I know Mass Effect had it - but I haven't played it yet and probably won't until the fall (when I plan to pick up the new model of 360 that supposedly doesn't crap out after 2 days).

A prequel doesn't really fill me with confidence, but the expansiveness (potentially) does.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2008, 08:52:09 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
To put this on topic,

I want planetary exploration.

I know Mass Effect had it - but I haven't played it yet and probably won't until the fall (when I plan to pick up the new model of 360 that supposedly doesn't crap out after 2 days).

A prequel doesn't really fill me with confidence, but the expansiveness (potentially) does.

most of the 360's made after Nov last year are pretty stable... I've had mine since Jan, and its still going strong...

in any case, isn't Mass Effect kinda "sand-box" type of game?
Exploration and the like is something that's not seen much in JRPGs hey?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2008, 01:18:12 PM »

Quote from: "calintz"
most of the 360's made after Nov last year are pretty stable... I've had mine since Jan, and its still going strong...

Yeah, but there's supposed to be a new model coming out this summer which has fixed most of the RROD issues. I will possibly get a 360 for my birthday in August since they're supposed to be coming out in June/July.

in any case, isn't Mass Effect kinda "sand-box" type of game? Exploration and the like is something that's not seen much in JRPGs hey?

That's true, and I hadn't thought about it that way. I guess I just would just like a little more freedom and be able to go to a whole bunch of different planets. Who doesn't want that in a sci fi game?

Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2008, 05:48:31 PM »

That type of freedom, not really.  

More planets hell yes, particularly hi-tech ones and more galaxy spanning adventure (this would obviously be easier and more likely if they do more hi-tech planets/locations anyway).
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2008, 11:54:30 PM »

Quote from: "Kos-mos"
That type of freedom, not really.  

More planets hell yes, particularly hi-tech ones and more galaxy spanning adventure (this would obviously be easier and more likely if they do more hi-tech planets/locations anyway).

So you'd rather just go from planet to planet in a straight line?

Meh.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2008, 01:13:40 AM »

I loved the space part of Mass Effect.  I just hope Tri-Ace takes notice on how to do it right and don't give us that Star Ocean 3 crap where
Code:
you spend the majority of your time on a backwater planet.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2008, 01:46:40 AM »

Of all the spoilers in the game that's not only one of the most minor, but the one most openly stated. In fact, it's more or less stated throughout the whole thread we're tired of being thrown on bumfuck medival sorcery planets.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2008, 03:43:15 AM »

still a spoiler none-the-less if you haven't played S03 yet, and expect a space drama

good point Akanbe: besides Xenosaga, most "space" themed JRPG seem to keep themselves rooted most of the time in a medieval looking planet, with guns and lasers lol
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2008, 03:44:45 AM »

still a spoiler none-the-less if you haven't played S03 yet, and expect a space drama

Meh, that argument just makes it necessary to mention it, don't let people come in with false expectations.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2008, 07:22:11 AM »

But the promise of sci-fi, futuristic stuff, and the exploration of space has always been in Star Ocean games, and all of them (1, 2, and 3) have blue-balled us on this and stuck us on backwater bumfuck planets for the entire game.  I hope Star Ocean 4 makes good on its promise of interstellar travel and more sci-fi futuristic stuff.

EDIT: And I hope it defies the trend of bad English VA.  SO2's was exceptionally bad.  SO3's was an improvement (Nel was great), but some of it was just *gag* like Farleen.

EDIT 2: As for the updated trailer, despite it being 4 minutes long and the teaser being 1 minute long, I didn't feel the trailer really showed anything beyond what the tiny teaser did.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2008, 08:35:03 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
But the promise of sci-fi, futuristic stuff, and the exploration of space has always been in Star Ocean games, and all of them (1, 2, and 3) have blue-balled us on this and stuck us on backwater bumfuck planets for the entire game.  I hope Star Ocean 4 makes good on its promise of interstellar travel and more sci-fi futuristic stuff.

I have *not* played SO3 yet. I know about the giant spoiler.

I thought after *the giant spoiler* you switched to a more modern planet.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2008, 09:19:08 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
I thought after *the giant spoiler* you switched to a more modern planet.

You do, but it's only a very small portion of the game. Most of it is spent on "bumfuck planet" and
Code:
they even force you to go back there come the end of the game.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »

Agreed DPB.  That brief taste of postmodern towards the tail end of the game was too little too late.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: