Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 05:02:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341139 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  POLITICS: I like Ron Paul
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: POLITICS: I like Ron Paul  (Read 18473 times)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 07, 2008, 07:44:47 PM »

Quote from: "daschrier"
Why not vote for a third party so we can try and break up the dem and repub stranglehold on the US political system?

Considering even Theodore Roosevelt couldn't make it in as a third party candidate, I think it's safe to say the stranglehold isn't going down soon (if ever).  A local radio host here said he always votes for the party above the individual, and a lot of people are the same way.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »

After refreshing my memory with wikipedia, we DID have new parties come in, but that was in the first hundred years of the country's life. After that it kinda congealed into just the Republican and Democratic parties. Things do change eventually, but I'm not sure we'll see any major party shakeups any time soon.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
S/he'd be better off dead and unborn than be born into a cesspool life existence.  Death is often more humane than a prolonged life of agony.

Here's the true, and painful, argument that pro-choicers must present. I appreciate you making it.

And if it's true, then it ought to be true across the board. Kevorkian is then a hero, and eugenics is a good answer to a number of life's problems (i.e. - kill the severely retarded).

That's a good, consistent argument. And it's that exact argument that I think must be opposed for the sake of life. Yes, even a cesspool life existence, that we should do all we can to improve. I can't imagine trying to improve that mother's life after she has the weight of an abortion on her shoulders.

And I still love Ron Paul.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2008, 09:23:43 AM »

The thing that seems inconsistant to me is that Pro-lifers also tend to be FOR the death penalty.

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks.

JP
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2008, 11:36:45 AM »

This goes back to individual philosophical views of life and death. Who deserves life? Who deserves death? Is death a punishment? Can death be viewed as something as precious as life? Can someone highly value life while also highly valuing death at the same time?

For some, an innocent child is more deserving of life than a sinful criminal on death row. It's back to the simplified views of children that good guys win and bad guys lose. But what defines good and bad? A schizophrenic looney condemned in the US would probably be a revered shaman in the Dinka tribe of Africa.

When it comes to issues regarding abortion, euthaniasia, and aspects of health care regarding the old and the terminal, we cannot discount our own views and morals regarding life and death. And there is no one size fits all way of pleasing everyone. That is why I think options should be made available and accessible for those who choose to exercise them.

Coat hanger abortions should not be happening in America. And even talking about patient care regarding abortions, terminally ill, etc., brings up the issue of how broken the US healthcare system really is.

It's a sad state of affairs when it's cheaper for an American to buy a plane ticket to India and have a surgery performed in the best private Indian hospitals money can buy (India has both government and private hospitals) than it is to have the same surgery done in the US. At least the success rate there is high since elite doctors in India are some of the best surgeons in the world and the best Indian hospitals adopt cutting edge technology before many US hospitals do. But what about those who elect for cheaper surgeries in central American countries where access to modern medical technology and techniques is almost nil and the people come back worse off because they couldn't afford it in the US? Penny wise pound foolish and all that.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »

Ramza: You can't just conflate one stance with another just because it makes the other guy look silly and bad. In no way are eugenics and abortion the same thing. In no way is each abortion identical to every other abortion. The decision to have or not have a child is an immensely personal one. Youíre fooling yourself if you think itís that simple. My younger brother is disabled; Iím probably going to be watching him for his entire adult life. Iíve accepted that. A young woman who made an awful mistake, (or is in some cases a victim of rape or incest) and is facing an awful life for herself, and possibly very little hope for her own child has a tough decision to make, and itís not yours. No matter how much control you want to exercise over other people, it should never be, and will never be yours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-induced_abortion
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »

Is America ready for a Lebanese president?

Now I DEFINITELY know who I'm voting for.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2008, 09:46:15 AM »

Not again.  Is Nader flippin' serious?  The guy should go jump in a lake and give it up already.  He's tried twice and he's failed miserably twice.  He's like that pesky mosquito that won't go away.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see a good Green Party or Independent candidate in the White House, but not that laughingstock Nader.  

It really looks like it'll be Obama vs. McCain.  And given how a strong constituency of Republicans dislike McCain but like Obama, this is going to be a battle.  

If you really think about it, for the past 20 years America has been ruled by either a Bush or  a Clinton.  The current crop of college undergrads have lived their entire lives under a Bush or Clinton.  It's definitely time for change (to use some of Obama's rhetoric.)  I think that's one reason why the youth voter turnout has been higher than usual.  

I was a vehement Bill Richardson supporter until he dropped out.  I then backed (and still do) Hillary since I agree with her the 2nd most on the issues; I voted for her in the Primaries.  Obama's #3 for me, and he's a great candidate.  If he gets the nod, I'll vote for him.  It's about time the Democrats had really strong and charismatic candidates that people can rally behind.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2008, 03:42:48 PM »

i live in ohio and i voted today for

ďNormal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.Ē
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2008, 04:05:34 PM »

That made me ROFL Alisha.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2008, 11:06:24 PM »

I know this will come as a surprise, but McCain won.

I swear, I'm starting to think that the only candidate I'd be happy with is me.  :P

Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2008, 01:21:57 AM »

Let's hope the Big-O wins Texas...
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2008, 01:22:57 AM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
Let's hope the Big-O wins Texas...

According to Yahoo you posted that 9 minutes too late - Clinton won.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2008, 01:35:36 AM »

Fuck.

Edit: Right now the BBC is claiming that Obama still has a lead in delegates despite the losses. I suppose we will have to wait for at least a few days to be sure. In any case it looks like they are still locked in competition....
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 05, 2008, 02:29:58 AM »

Eh everyone knows the Democrat Nomination is going to come down to Superdelegates....which is fucking retarded.

Howard Dean....I feel sorry for ya, man.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: