Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 12:55:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327627 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  POLITICS: I like Ron Paul
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: POLITICS: I like Ron Paul  (Read 18057 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 08:27:23 PM »

Oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh.

To return to the topic at hand, while I'm not terribly fond of Paul, I could see myself voting for him in the absence of a viable alternative - meaning if he gets the Republican nomination and just about anyone other than Gravel, Kucinich, or maybe Edwards gets the Democratic nomination.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2007, 12:05:37 AM »

i dont really know much about him. but its unlikely id ever vote republican since most of them are against gay rights or have religous backing.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 12:24:20 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
i dont really know much about him. but its unlikely id ever vote republican since most of them are against gay rights or have religous backing.

Awful reason to not vote for Ron Paul. Other than being personally pro-life (he'd like to see FEDERAL FUNDING for abortion go, that's it), he's pretty much all the things you'd NOT expect from a Republican.

Go learn about him. Get on YouTube or something. He's all over it.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 08:29:48 AM »

Way to be uninformed.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 02:26:58 PM »

ZOMG EVAL REPUBLICKAN!!!!!!!!

He seems a mid road conservative. Doesnt sound too horrible to me.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 06:20:16 PM »

As others said, Ron Paul is more independent/third-party than republican.  The only reason Ron Paul is not running on a 3rd party or independent ticket is that he'll get more votes by running in one of the big two parties.  He aims to subvert the system from the inside.  

It's not fair to judge one individual based on a biased/stereotyped view of a group and it's equally not fair to judge a group based on a biased/stereotyped view of an individual in it.  

Alisha, you say you know nothing about this candidate so instead of making a sweeping generalization about him based on his party affiliation, inform yourself better about him.  Nutshell: If there is something you don't know, find out.  How would you feel if I made a skewed generalization about you based on a limited understanding of blacks and gays?  You'd kick my ass from here to Calcutta, that's what.  How would I feel if someone made a skewed generalization about me based on a limited knowledge of Indians?  I'd be pissed that's for sure.  (Something like that even happened to me on RPGfan a while back.  Anyone want details?  PM me.)

You may agree or disagree with Ron Paul or any given candidate.  As I said before, I disagree with Ron Paul's stances on a whole bunch of issues; Bill Richardson's my candidate of choice.  But it's always good to keep yourself informed, especially in political races.  A lot of "red" states blindly vote republican, even if the candidate may not be that good.  In much the same way, many "blue" states blindly vote anti-republican even if that candidate may not be that good.  Heads in the sand, much?

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 06:45:41 PM »

Quote from: "Ramza"
Awful reason to not vote for Ron Paul. Other than being personally pro-life (he'd like to see FEDERAL FUNDING for abortion go, that's it), he's pretty much all the things you'd NOT expect from a Republican.

Except, ya know, for the whole "wanting to privatize every aspect of the government" thing. Seriously, the guy scares the shit out of me. I may agree with him on most social issues, but I think his actual plans of getting there are flat-out dangerous. The guy is seriously one step away from Andrew Ryan (Bioshock) / Ayn Rand territory.

I understand that he's not a nutjob, he's completely sane, and he may be a very ethical person, yet anyone who talks about privatizing education and gutting social security at a time when we SHOULD be talking about federalizing health care, is not someone who will get my vote.

I'd like to think that I'm informed, I just don't like what I see.

Obama for me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 11:47:24 AM »

Biggest problem with Ron Paul: Wanting to give more power to the states. This invites more anti-gay-marriage amendments and pro-life mandates.

Giving power to the states allowed racism against blacks to thrive during the times before the Civil Rights Movement. That will only be echoed if repeated towards gays.

Obama for the win. I also don't want a gold standard, or a destruction of the IRS, income tax, and other constructs we take for granted. There are other means of having the economy recuperate than "wiping the slate clean" economics. He's also far too Constitutionalist, and it fucking scares me.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 12:27:40 PM »

Well...at least he beat Giuliani. :)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »

Ya know...I'm still surprised Huckabee won the Republican side in Iowa. Sounds slightly familiar to me. Candidate A who is low in the polls but has things to say, all of a sudden WINS Iowa and them BAM, top dog in his party.

John Kerry anyone?

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 03:23:01 PM »

did anyone else read this thread as "I like Ru Paul" at first? And while we are on the subject *takes a massive dump on the 2008 elections and goes back to playing video games* I refuse to choose the fate of this country (even though I have my doubts that citizen votes count for anything, and the winners are probably pre-determined anyway) I dont vote, never have, never will.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 03:59:30 PM »

Well, that was the dumbest thing I've ever read in five and a half years of reading these boards.  Congratulations.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 04:20:43 PM »

Quote from: "PKProductions"
did anyone else read this thread as "I like Ru Paul" at first? And while we are on the subject *takes a massive dump on the 2008 elections and goes back to playing video games* I refuse to choose the fate of this country (even though I have my doubts that citizen votes count for anything, and the winners are probably pre-determined anyway) I dont vote, never have, never will.

Freedom and rights are wasted on the likes of you.

PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 05:54:15 PM »

Whatever, the people in charge dont give 2 shits about what citizens think, they have their own ulterior motives, if you dont see that by this point, I pity you. I dont vote, because I dont think it makes a difference, and I am not going to pretend that it does and play their little mind game. I mean has everyone forgotten what happened in the 2000 elections? Get educated, read up on your history, and you will soon find out things arent what you think.

Quote from: "Leyviur"
Freedom and rights are wasted on the likes of you.

Freedom and rights? thats a complete contradiction if we were all free to do whatever we wanted, there would be no need for "rights". "Freedom" isnt freedom at all, its a carefully crafted word to make it seem like more than what it really is. Everyone is still a slave to society and the government, we pay them, they sit back and kick it and watch the money stack up. Income Tax is bullshit. Man, dont even get me started.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 06:20:47 PM »

^ i actually agree with your post.

this year is the first year i'm eligible, but i'm not sure if i'm going to vote. i do know that most of my friends will not be, and i totally see where they're coming from. i just don't trust any of it. going to polling stations and pretending that anyone in our corrupt ass government gives a fuck about our opinions.. the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

feel free to sway me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: