Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:36:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327149 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Great movies as of late...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Great movies as of late...  (Read 1685 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2007, 03:44:47 PM »

This seems to be a good time for movies, right now. I just saw three this past month that I thought were damn good:

Sweeny Todd - I'm a huge Tim Burton fan, and I love Steven Sontime. I haven't actually seen a stage production of Sweeny Todd, but as for its presentation on the big screen, absolutely amazing. The singing was great, the visuals were some of Burton's best. Thankfully, it seems to be getting its due credit, but unfortunately, it'll probably never win an Oscar while shit like Chicago and Mulan Rouge sweep them. Too dark, bloody, and fantastical in nature, the Acadamy is always unfair toward Burton.

Charlie Wilson's War - Hillarious and incredibly well written. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is just so goddamn funny here. It also does one of the best jobs delivering a political message without being in-your-face. The final bit about Charlie trying to get the congress to fund a few Afgani schools was really telling, and the scene with the Baptist preacher rousing the Afgani crowd was just terrifying. Whatever your political persuasion, though, very good movie.

The Golden Compass - My choice for, "good movie that the critics have been kicking around." I'm a humanist like Phillip Pullman (author of the series), but I can understand (and am not offended) that the only way you can get a movie like this through the US is to tone down the anti-religious elements, and they didn't dillute it nearly as much as they could of. Apart from that, the acting is some of the best I've ever seen in a fantasy, even surpassing Lord of the Rings (which I liked). The girl who plays Lyra... we'll see her again, she's amazing. They're representations of the daemons was perfect, and their casting was impecable. Some characters, like Lee Scorsby (played by the great Sam Elliot) even outshine their litterary counterparts. My one complaint is that they made out the world to be more fantasy than it's supposed to be. In the book, there are normal automobiles, and the overall feel should be more along the lines of 1950s technology. But that's a little gripe when it comes to the story and characters, of which I applaud 99% of their decisions.

Across the Universe - Musical made from various Beatles tune. I like the Beatles, i wouldn't call myself a "fan," but this movie was EXCELLENT. The cinematography was gorgious, and the animated bits were some of the best I've ever seen. As much as I loved Sweeny Todd, this gets my vote for "musical movie of the year." Just very unique style, great execution, and great musical arrangements.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 02:35:48 AM »

Who's Steven Sontime?

I've heard of Stephen Sondheim, but not the man you speak of.

Also, I think making Golden Compass (or any of the Dark Materials trilogy) into a fantasy, kid-friendly movie is a bad idea, no matter how you do it. You stay too true to the original and you get a big religious outlash (shit, there was already a big stink over it EVEN WITH its toning down the anti-religious stuff). Try to appease the religious folk, and you destroy what everyone liked about the original. As you said, they did an incredible job balancing these elements; I agree with you there. But I'd still argue that it's better left off as a book.

(Also, I think Pullman is a jerk; he called Lewis' Narnia series "poison" because of its pro-religious themes. Seriously, there's a difference between secular humanist and outright asshole.)

I haven't seen any theatre releases, but i recently rented Knocked Up, a Judd Apatow / Seth Rogen joint (they previously worked on 40-Year-Old Virgin and then did Superbad after this film ... and Apatow also did Walk Hard recently, I hope to see that soon). Anyway, Knocked Up is like, THE best movie I've seen in a long long long long time. As a parent, I really like it. I've never done a one-night stand, and maybe it's absurd to think people could actually come together after having a one-night stand for the sake of a child ... but whatever, call me naive, I love it.

Ramza

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 07:23:10 PM »

I haven't been to the cinema much this year, but I loved Ratatouille, The Bourne Ultimatum and The Darjeeling Ltd.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 06:07:45 PM »

No country for old men. It's better than all of these movies listed here.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:40:12 PM »

Well I deleted my sarcastic reply to get more serious haha.

Anyways, I think this whole year has been pretty damn good for movies in general.  I can't remember the last year thats had so many movies i've actually bothered to see.

Out of the last batch, id probably say Golden Compass, I am Legend, and Juno were probably my favorites.  Although theres some foibles here and there with them, overall I found them to be fun and unique enough to make me really enjoy them.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »

I'll tell you what movie really sucks: PS, I Love You! Don't watch it!! It's actually pretty morbid and creepy when you think about it-- your dead lover sending you letters and telling you to do shit and go on vacations. Ew. This is coming from someone that enjoys romantic comedies.

Okay it didn't SUCK suck. The supporting cast was actually pretty awesome (Lisa Kudrow never fails to please, as she seems to always play herself in every movie she's in... kinda like Chris Farley), and I was really enjoying the movie up until

Code:
she hooked up with her dead husband's best friend and cuddled with him as he told her stories of them growing up together. That is just wrong on so many levels.

I'll admit I didn't watch many movies this year, but I guess the best movie I saw in 2007 has to be Live Free or Die Hard. Either that or Knocked Up.

I heard Juno was really good though, and I've been meaning to watch National Treasure 2 since I enjoyed the first one a lot.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 03:20:21 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
I haven't been to the cinema much this year, but I loved Ratatouille, The Bourne Ultimatum and The Darjeeling Ltd.

I watched Ratatouille on the plane home and I really enjoyed it. I'm kind of iffy on Pixar movies but it was nice to see them to a kind of unusual plot.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:52:01 PM »

Quote from: "sandiny0ursh0es"
I've been meaning to watch National Treasure 2 since I enjoyed the first one a lot.

I did too, and I thought the second one was pretty decent.  Not the greatest film in the history of the world, but fun.  Just so you know ahead of time, there's nothing after the credits.  (So yeah, that thing that feels like they should resolve it after the credits or it's setting up for a third movie?  It's setting up for a third movie.)

In DVD stuff, I also recently saw Shoot 'Em Up, and I must say it lives up to its name.  Plus, any movie where the hero kills two guys with carrots... it's so over the top you have to love it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 11:09:13 PM »

I saw Juno last weekend and really enjoyed it. You almost forget that it's about such a heavy issue as teen pregnancy, and you are laughing almost all the way through. Really good overall. I'd like to catch up on my movie watching though, especially with all of the great movies that I've missed out on over the past year (let alone the past few months).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: