Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:43:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340915 Posts in 13933 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Front Mission stuff.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Front Mission stuff.  (Read 915 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2007, 08:53:14 PM »

I got FM for the DS because I think it's really prett in its own way. Not the original so much, but the PSX port which is the DS port has this awesome atmospheer to it. Anyway, I think it's pretty neat, but I'm not far enough in it yet. I like how one of the characters is a war photographer though*. Also, the lack of, er, weapon range sort of bugged me at first but as I did a few more missions, I noticed that it actually lead to some interesting scenarios.

Anyway, I also felt like playing FM3... and well, giving it another shot. So I restarded and took Alisa's path this time and I've been liking it substantially more. I'm only about three hours in, but in comparison to Emma's story, stuff is actually happening and there's none of that, "Look, three generic look highway missions in a row!" crap. The story also seems to focus more on the characters, I guess -- Or, well, it's the plucky band of rebels side, and not the Mysterious Forces Are At Work side. At least, that's how it appears so far.

I'm not fond of the mecha designs though. They're sort of bulky and... generic?

I also really overlooked the compartmentalized damage thing, I realize, and now I notice how much I like its presense in Metal Saga too, and how much its absence from Xenogears bugs me.

* Similarly, I think how Cid is an astronaut sort of in FFVII is a pretty neat idea. Especially if you treat it like a twist on FFIV's Cid being an airship d00d. Well, III's was too, but you go to the moon in FFIV.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 10:54:01 PM »

Let me know when you do Kevin's path on Front Mission DS. I thought it was a great addition to the game.

Yeah, I think the BEST thing about the entire FM series is the area-specific HP (and damage to it). What's really great is that, to glean the most exp from a mech, you should take its body out last. A great way to level up your weaker characters is to have the strongest character target the arms and take it out, then let your weaker characters come in for legs and body. Whenever my team got unbalanced, that's how I re-balanced them (in terms of levels).

I never played through all of FM3. I wish I did, and I think I might get around to it sometime soon.

Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 02:05:35 PM »

I just recently beat the Royd's scenario in Front Mission DS.  Overall I really enjoyed what I have played so far and think FM DS has held up pretty well over the years.  But I am sure that the extras they added for the remake have something to do with that.  I really loved the mobile weapons.

With an overhaul of the skill system and some tweaking to increase the difficulty during the middle/ latter half of the game FM DS could really be amazing.

I am going to take a little break before playing through Kevin's scenario.  Otherwise I feel like I might get burnt out.  Well, either that or start playing through FM 3 or 4 instead.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: