Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:30:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338072 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  secret of mana
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: secret of mana  (Read 2147 times)
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:47:03 AM »

ok, this game is known world wide as a classic. a 'must play' game. but, is it worth paying $50+ for a copy on ebay?  those of you who have it, is it worth it?
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 02:52:30 AM »

Well, there are "other means" of playing it (and we will leave it at that, folks) but if you are a collector of old-school/retro titles, then yeah, it's definitely one of the best RPGs of the 16-bit era.  The soundtrack, in particular, is an absolute classic.  Great music.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 02:55:16 AM »

You can also hope for a VC release, but SE really doesn't seem interested in pushing the inititive on that. Stupid money grubbing port-a-thon policy.

Edit: As for how good the game is? Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I'm not sure it's worth that price by today's standards though, maybe you should search for a better deal or something. Then again I got mine for $40 in 97 new, so whatever.
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 02:55:57 AM »

yeah, ive thought of the 'other' ways of playing it, but i try to do the right thing. and i am a bit of a collector, so i would love the cart and box.. but the problem is that chrono trigger was always  said to be an amazing game too, and i did track down a copy and.... well, i wasnt overly impressed.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:58:10 AM »

Man, I have crappy timing for my editing. But yeah, that's another thing: It may not be easy to recommend to someone completely new to it after so long. The control CAN feel a bit clunky, and if you weren't impressed with CT then you really may be better off skipping it. You could use said 'other means' to sample it though and see if it's something you really want to get.
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 03:03:24 AM »

yeah, thats what i was worried about. i would be very upset if i spend 50 bucks on it and find out its like chrono trigger..
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:18:26 AM »

Quote from: "concrete donkey"
yeah, thats what i was worried about. i would be very upset if i spend 50 bucks on it and find out its like chrono trigger..

Oh man, this sentence makes me cry.  I'd gladly spend 50$ for something as awesome as Chrono Trigger. :P

concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 03:22:38 AM »

Quote from: "Masamune"

Oh man, this sentence makes me cry.  I'd gladly spend 50$ for something as awesome as Chrono Trigger. :P

well, yeah, i was disapointed with it. ive been gaming since the atari 2600, and played my fair share of over rated games, and chrono trigger is one of them. chrono cross was better, but that was no classic either.
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 04:00:59 AM »

ive been gaming since the atari 2600, and played my fair share of over rated games, and chrono trigger is one of them. chrono cross was better, but that was no classic either.

*ducks*

Eek! Let the flaming commence... :S

Personally, I found CT absolutely sublime, and that isn't fanboyish rantings, either. I discovered it by myself, in a region that had little to no coverage of the title as there were never any plans to release it here in the UK (and there still aren't!!), but that's derailing the topic.

Well, not quite, actually.

You see, CT is held in pretty much the same regard as Mana in these parts, and for pretty much the same reasons. Charming characters (if a little cliched by today's standards), gorgeous, late 16-BIT era graphics, and stunning sound like only Square and Nintendo themselves could squeeze out of the SNES.

I would strongly recommend that you do explore these "other options." Think of it as a demo disc, bearing in mind that demos were not possible at that time. There are a lot of big differences between the two (the real-time combat for one, the Zelda-type puzzles for another), but if it was the presentation that put you off CT (visuals, story, characters, sound, etc.), I don't think you'll get on with Mana at all.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 12:12:32 PM »

ive been gaming since the atari 2600, and played my fair share of over rated games

Alternate Reality: The City, maybe?

Anyway, I like Chrono Trigger, but it is overrated. What it did, from a gameplay perspective, it did very well -- notably, adding combos to the battle system and somehow making ATB actually do something interesting for once (Hi square, ATB was getting old by FFIV. STOP REVIVING IT.) and things like interesting monster behavior in battle, and little subpuzzles built around avoiding combat. Conserving your MP is also rather important, too -- moreso than usual since tents are the only affordable method of healing MP regularly.

Buuut the interaction's pretty limited (You know how in Dragon Quest, like... 7 and 8, at least, you could check a lot of pots and bookshelves and find items and maybe actual readable text blurbs with some background information? Not saying that DQ is the ultimate in interactivity, but it does feel like most of the stuff you see in CT's world, barring switches, is strictly background pictures). The nonlinear bits are present, but basically shuffled entirely to the end. There aren't really any sidequests that I can recall at other points during the game. There's not a lot of *out of combat* gameplay -- no character customization (which isn't really massively necessary, but chosing what to spend your TP on might've been nice -- new single tech, or divert it to combos? or something), and it just doesn't feel... very expansive, I guess.

The thing that annoys me the most is that as soon as you get to a town, it sort of just shuffles you along to the next plot point. It's rather brief feeling -- like towns are nothing more than get some new weapons, a nap, and a clue, and move out. This is, really, a problem in a lot of JRPGs (and WRPGs. Including Daggerfall, and !@#$ everyone who says otherwise about those giant, empty expanses of nothing), but CT doesn't really do anything to fix it.

Anyway, I like Secret of Mana more because I like the thing where you get seeds to upgrade your weapons or something, I like how the magic system works, I like how you level up weapon skills, I like the zelda like puzzles, I like the very unique setting and atmosphere, and I generally really dislike SD3 for getting rid of pretty much all of that and replacing it with a really half-assed class change system.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
(Hi square, ATB was getting old by FFIV. STOP REVIVING IT.)

Final Fantasy IV introduced the ATB system.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 01:46:39 PM »

Yes. That was the point of what I was saying, which was that ATB, despite being new in FFIV, was already old by the end of it, because I think it was a bad idea and I didn't like it very much, which prompted me to state my opinion that I thought it was already old by FFIV.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 04:38:20 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Then again I got mine for $40 in 97 new, so whatever.
$40? I think I bought it used for 5 with no box around the same time. That was an even better deal than the copy of Super Metroid i managed to find somewhere.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 05:36:05 PM »

I still have a copy from when it was first released. Sadly, I don't own the box or instructions anymore. Not that I'd sell it anyways. There's something better about actually playing it on my SNES.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »

I have the secret of mana cartridge here as well. It's not mine though, a friend of mine owns it.  Actually, i've never gotten all that far into the game. I only really played it once and that was YEARS ago. My friend has beaten it several times though.  That game is to her what FFVI is to me. The best ever..

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: