Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 01:54:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335276 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Japanese games worth importing..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Japanese games worth importing..  (Read 4190 times)
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2008, 03:40:09 AM »

Does anyone know of any good Jap-only games that have english subtitles that are worth importing? Adventure and rpg's would be good. theres heaps on play-asia, but i dunno which have english sub titles.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 04:23:40 AM »

Why do people think there are Japanese games w/ English subtitles?  How many English games do you own that include Japanese subtitles? :P  Fighting games, racing games etc. often have English menus and so forth, but if you're looking for an Import RPG, which are a little text-intensive... heh.  I can't think of a single game, honestly.

If you want to play imports, learn Japanese.  From my own experience, it took about ~9 years from scratch to near-fluent, but it was a worthwhile endeavor.

concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 04:27:59 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
Why do people think there are Japanese games w/ English subtitles?  How many English games do you own that include Japanese subtitles? :P  Fighting games, racing games etc. often have English menus and so forth, but if you're looking for an Import RPG, which are a little text-intensive... heh.  I can't think of a single game, honestly.

If you want to play imports, learn Japanese.  From my own experience, it took about ~9 years from scratch to near-fluent, but it was a worthwhile endeavor.

so, the short answer is: you dont know. thanks for the feed back though.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 04:54:39 AM »

Some high profile Japanese rereleases such as FFX/XII International and KH/KH2: Final Mix have English VA with Japanese subtitling. Other than that there are no Japanese games with English subtitles. What do you think this is, anime?

Besides, most RPGs are translated to English anyway, and the ones that aren't stay in Japan for good reason.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 05:03:04 AM »

Quote from: "concrete donkey"
so, the short answer is: you dont know. thanks for the feed back though.

Nope.  Try again, smart-ass.

The short answer is: There aren't any, and good luck looking for them, heh.

EDIT: Being Japanese-American, if I see you use the word "Jap" one more time, I will personally have your ability to post on these boards removed.  No, it's not an "abbreviation" for Japanese, it's the same as saying "Chink movies" or "Spic food."  I'll be fixing the title of this thread accordingly.  You fucking moron.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 05:06:54 AM »

Yo concrete donkey, what are you smoking? Shig's answer wasn't "I don't know." His answer was "no, and wtf are you talking about?"

Seriously man. NO adventure or RPGs are coming with "English subtitles." If they did, the work of localizing them would be done, and we'd have them already.

The closest thing to an exception has already been mentioned in this thread as well, which are Square (Enix)'s "International" releases, which use ENGLISH voice acting with JAPANESE subtitles. I just got FFXII International for my big brother, and yeah, that's how it works. Good times, but you need to know Kana to get around.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 07:57:49 AM »

You know, why in hell would a Japanese company bother to spend money of adding an English translation to a game aimed at an audience that has no need for the translation at all. It would simply translate to additional costs, but no return for the company. And people who want to learn English by playing games in this country, can do so easily by picking up one of those popular English learning games for DS.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 08:14:48 AM »

mmmm... I must agree with what everyone said... now you can actually try Peach Princess, Jast USA or G-collection... hentai sites but they do the job for the japanese translated visual novels or rare rpgs

Hey shiguma do you know of any good place or page where I could start learning? I only plan to reach the be able to read level thought....

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 10:41:20 AM »

Quote from: "macirex"
Hey shiguma do you know of any good place or page where I could start learning? I only plan to reach the be able to read level thought....

I THINK previously he's said if you really want to learn you have to take classes. And even if it wasn't him who said it, it's still probably the case :P
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 11:10:38 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

Besides, most RPGs are translated to English anyway, and the ones that aren't stay in Japan for good reason.

Oftentimes, but not always. *laments the lack of English-released Front Mission 5, Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei II, Soul Hackers, and Persona 2: Innocent Sin*

But yeah, the only Japanese game that I can think of as being really English-friendly is Sin & Punishment, which had English voice acting. But now that's been fully localized and released on the Wii's Virtual Console, so yeah...

"Time fades even legend..."
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »

If you want to learn Japanese for import games (and nothing more), memorizing Katakana is where you should start.  Katakana allows you to read character names, equipment names, town names, etc.  After that, RPG-specific Kanji should be the next focus.  Recognizing Kanji for the cardinal directions and reoccurring nouns (castle, country, king, legend, magic, store, tower, town, tree, village, etc.) and reoccurring verbs (come, drink, eat, fight, flee, go, run, sleep, walk, etc.) are extremely useful.  

Then, if you see something like: バロン王国

You can look at the first three characters, バロン, and read the Katakana "Baron," a name.  The fourth character means "king" and the fifth character means "country."  So, the fourth and fifth characters combined mean "kingdom."  So, "The Kingdom of Baron."

When you become a little more confident, you can look at entire sentences, like: 行きましょう、バロン王国へ!

The first part means "let's go!" in a suggestive sense, but even if you only recognize the Kanji 行, which implies "action" or "going somewhere," you can follow along to a workable degree, even if you don't understand the sentence in its entirety.  But after all, you're learning this for video games, not as a career path, right?

If you DO want to understand every word in the sentence, and all of the subtle nuances in the language to comprehend storylines and so forth... Like Raze said, classes, classes, and more classes.  And living in the country itself.  It's the only way.

A while back, I was considering doing a special feature for RPGFan on "RPG Japanese" and writing up a detailed guide on the aforementioned "RPG-specific Kanji" etc.  Would anyone here find that a useful resource?

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 11:52:48 AM »

How many English games do you own that include Japanese subtitles?

I have a Japanese game with English subtitles and 'voice acting' in addition to the japanese stuff, I think. It's a very incomprehensible product. It might only be in english, but it looks more like Japanese game with subtitles half-assed in.

And I guess it TECHNICALLY was localized.

Also, I've heard that Japanese classes are mostly a waste of time and that you're better off teaching yourself. From talking to some of the people I know, this is probably true. I think they mentioned spending an entire month on the kana, when you really shouldn't need to spend more than a week on those**. And I'm not trying to act like some major genius.There are 48 hiragana and 48 katakana and a series of completely regular diacratic modifications. Unless you're doing something *STUPID* like making single flashcards with a kana on one side and the pronunciation on the back*, it does not take a bloody month.

In any case, the main advantage of classes are that they can get you content easily. Given that we're talking about Japanese, here, though, you can find pretty much everything you'd possibly want online without having to put any sort of effort into searching. Download some anime or JPOP or whatever, or buy some books from Amazon (and comics are useful, because the visual STUFF gives context. High quality art, or rather, really expressive art, is best), and bash your head against some wikipedia articles in Japanese for awhile.

* Get a big page of text containing nothing but kana. They exist. Get a kana chart. Start reading through it, looking up stuff you don't know, which at the beginning will be everything. I did the same thing with kana (And Cyrillic** and Greek) and it works wonders.

** Unless you're doing everything IN class. Which wouldn't make sense as teachers should be assigning homework or something.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"

A while back, I was considering doing a special feature for RPGFan on "RPG Japanese" and writing up a detailed guide on the aforementioned "RPG-specific Kanji" etc.  Would anyone here find that a useful resource?

Hell, yeah!!

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 12:44:27 PM »

As  far as I know, the only text-heavy import games are Phoenix Wright 1-3 for DS, which actually includes an English option, both those 3 all got released here and cheaper to get. Like Shiguma says, racing, fighting games and such do tend to have some english menus, but that is mainly it. Good luck trying to find an RPG with some enlgish dialogue included. There is always translation FAQs or summaries lurking around the internet.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »

PW shows too that the only games that have such options almost always wind up in America before long. Phantom Dust actually had a full english translation and voice over in the Japanese game because it was being made for America/Japan but Microsoft stupidly cancelled the US release near the end, and they just went ahead and put in the full english translation. Nevertheless Majesco came in and released the game in the US with only a few minor changes.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: