Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 05:11:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs with multiple protagonists/points of view
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: RPGs with multiple protagonists/points of view  (Read 4373 times)
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 11:11:25 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
Isn't the upcoming Last Remnant supposed to do that too, where you can choose to play as Conqueror or the swordsman kid?  

I read something in (I believe) Game Informer stating different. Apparently, even though everyone /thought/ you could play as the Conqueror, he's not a playable character, and you're essentially just Rush the whole game.

IMO, it seems kinda stupid that SE would go and state that he was designed to appeal to western players and then go and make him an unplayable NPC or something, so hopefully he'll at least show up as a party member or something. Hopefully, because The Conqueror looks metal as fuck.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 08:22:37 AM »

Quote from: "Rindu"

I'm not at all familiar with RPGs on PC, but I might check that one out, Dincrest.  I'm always worried about whether my computer can run games though

I hear you on that one.  It seems the only games that can run on the everyman's PC nowadays are graphic adventures.  Speaking of which, I can't believe I forgot to mention two Japanese visual novels that utilize the dual protagonist system to excellent effect:  

EVE: Burst Error was terrific.  Gameplay was almost nil, but the story and cast of characters were really tight.  There were times when I hit a roadblock with one character and it only cleared once I completed a scene with the other one.  

Ever17.  I flippin' adored this game.  It has dual protagonists (each protagonist has multiple endings) and the storyline is extremely good.  This baby didn't get Editor's Choice for nothing.  

Stupid Invaders is a western style graphic adventure that uses multiple protagonists, but I didn't feel the game did enough with that (each protagonist had a unique personality but they all played the same) and wasn't that wonderful a game.  

As for Project Offset, that game's reportedly only coming out in '09 for PC and 360, so chances are you'll need a tricked out PC to run it.  I gave the example mostly because I was reading about it and it was fresh in my mind.

I approve of this nonsense!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 06:34:34 PM »

I read a review of Ever17 before. How is it supposed to qualify as an RPG? It sounds like some sort of adventure game that mostly plays itself or something.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 09:32:06 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I read a review of Ever17 before. How is it supposed to qualify as an RPG? It sounds like some sort of adventure game that mostly plays itself or something.

We cover graphic adventures and point-and-click adventures. It's outside of strict "RPG" bounds, but it is what it is. You may as well argue against Zelda. :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »

I think if you want to see a story from multiple perspective, you definitely should be keeping everything in mind and not simply stick stubbornly to RPGs. In that case, I'd like to point out Indigo Prophecy. Gameplay from multiple perspectives, easily findable for cheap, and its story is supposed to be awesome until the last third where it all goes to hell.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 11:23:48 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
I think if you want to see a story from multiple perspective, you definitely should be keeping everything in mind and not simply stick stubbornly to RPGs. In that case, I'd like to point out Indigo Prophecy. Gameplay from multiple perspectives, easily findable for cheap, and its story is supposed to be awesome until the last third where it all goes to hell.

Sums it up nicely. Great story until the wtf moment 3/4 in

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »

Whichever of the Dynasty Warriors games had unique stories for each character might work then. They also work fairly well from an RPG perspective, giving stuff collecting and levelling up and WHATNOT.

Also, hey, Maniac Mansion if we're doing adventure games. It's not so much that the story changes but it pans out differently based on who you take.

Some of the branching bits in Chrono Cross might also work though it's not necessarily extensive. The game DOES sort of provide multiple viewpoints on various events and lots of what-if scenarios though, so it's not exactly what you're after, but you might like it anyway.

I also recall the last couple of Gold Box games -- the savage frontier ones -- letting you take on optional side characters that had their own story arcs. Pretty fun sub series in any case.

I'm also gonna throw out Wing Commander, because the plot branches, and I think it has some Front Mission-esque story elements with multiple viewpoints because of that. It's an adventure/space combat hybrid. Mostly the latter, although WC3 is heavier on the former.

Legend of Mana also has a three-main-storyline thing like in SD3, although they're not really connected *directly* but all make more sense in context of eachother. It's not so much which character you choose as your PC (You pick gender but it's purely visual) but which NPCs you follow.

Uh... Dew Prism. Yes. Which seems sort of like a simpler Musashi, from the little I've played of both (and Ratchet and Clank vaguely, vaguely reminds me of it for some reason. Except Dew Prism actually has personality). I didn't really like it though, but I can't remember why.

Persona 1's story changes a bit depending on who you take as your forth member. It also has that snow queen quest thing that was dummied out of the NA version and doesn't sound terribly pleasant either.

It also seems possible that Puzzle Quest might do something like this, actually. There was a branching point early on-ish. I'm also not sure if your class affects the story at all.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, though, definitely changes depending on your clan. While in most cases it's pretty minor -- each clan has some specific, related scenes -- the Nosferatu and Malkavian (I think. the crazy ones) have loads of differences. This is also probably the most recent PC RPG I really, really enjoyed in spite of all of it's really obvious flaws (which fan patches fix somewhat). It also runs fairly well (save for, uh... some place. The zombie cult crackhouse thingum) even on crappyish specs.

Oh, and the PC port of Silent Hill 2 and the Greatest Hits version on the PS2 have some sort of 'second quest' focusing on that woman character. Apparently the PC version breaks pressure sensitivity from the PS2 version, but it's substantially cheaper, you can save anywhere, and you can turn that goddamn noise filter off. Only in the PC and Greatest Hits version, though.

Look into strategy and strategy RPGs (the distinction is really blurry anymore, really). A great deal of them let you play as different sides.

Hrm. Wizardry 8 also has a few story points that vary depending on who's with you. Myles, for instance, gives you additional detail on new towns if you drag him around. I don't think it's really extensive though.

Also from the adventure front, there's Eastern Mind: The Lost Souls of Tong-Nou if you're actually insane enough to try tracking down*. And for the record, no, you can't get it through slightly less legit means so don't bother trying. Cosmology of Kyoto, however, is a bit similar and runs substantially cheaper and, as far as I know, is more common. Hit up ebay or something.

* Again: distinction of being both the rarest, most soul-crushing, and most terrifying game I've ever played. I don't expect most people to have a similar response, but !@#$.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »

If you fancy going a bit retro, Suikoden III's Trinity Sight System was largely based on Shining Force III's Synchronicity system... Characters you met in one scenario may not join until another scenario. Also, enemies spared in one disc may offer rewards later on...

Pity the second two thirds of the game have never been translated.

Leastways, not officially, at any rate! ;)

Redempteur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 10:11:51 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Star Ocean 2, Tales of Legendia, Saga Frontier just to name a few.

edit: I know Saga was mentioned already, I suck.

i wonder where there are multiple points of view in tales of legendia ...
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 01:55:50 AM »

i wonder where there are multiple points of view in tales of legendia ...

It didn't shift perspective directly, but after the main story each character did have a chapter dedicated to them. Storywise this was actually pretty cool. The gameplay, which you're probably tired of by that point anyway, gets absolutely frustrating in these chapters though so I can't recomend the game. Every time you get into a random encounter running through dungeons you already ran through in the main game you'll want to punch a kitten because the enemies, while not hard, just have way too much health for what's supposed to be a fast paced battle system.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: