Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 01:57:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319060 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  favorite hero and boss from any game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: favorite hero and boss from any game  (Read 5438 times)
odetooblivion

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2008, 04:26:44 PM »

My favorite hero is Issac, the hero from Golden Sun
Fav villan is definatly Lord of Fire from Enchanted Arms

Life as an Anarchist is a life with no rules,
a life with no rules is a life not worth living.
For rules set goals and goals set dreams!
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 07:55:53 PM »

Favorite Heroes: Adol Christin (Ys) and Shiguma (Langrisser V: The End of Legend).  Honorable Mention: Cecil Harvey (Final Fantasy IV).

Favorite Villains: Krelian (Xenogears), Ramsus (Xenogears).

My favorite characters tend to be those who are "originally evil, but realize the error of their ways" or "originally good, but because frustrated with the world/humanity and are trying to change things through destructive means."  Krelian is my favorite character of all time.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 07:57:10 PM »

"My favorite hero is Issac, the hero from Golden Sun"

:(

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »

I think to add more substance to the topic, I'd like to hear why certain characters are peoples' favorites.  Why do you like Issac so much, for example.  

My favorite main RPG protagonist has got to be Meis Triumph from Thousand Arms.  That guy is the horniest RPG protagonist ever created.  Where your typical J-RPG protagonist is brooding, sullen, misanthropic, and socially inept around girls, Meis is a very sociable and outgoing guy who's fearless when it comes to the ladies.  Where other RPG lotharios (i.e. Irvine of FF8, Edgar of FF6, etc.) talk a big game, Meis walks it by dating party members and having a girlfriend in almost every town.  The guy's a player and just too freakin' funny.  Whenever a "favorite RPG protagonist" question comes up, Meis is the first guy I think of.  

My favorite RPG villain is easily Albedo from Xenosaga.  That guy is absolutely and positively frightening.  He's intelligent, extremely complex, so utterly and disgustingly twisted, and also quite charismatic.  

But as much as I love (and love to hate) Albedo, the first villain that comes to mind when asked is Sephiroth.  He too is intelligent, complex, psychologically twisted, extremely charismatic, larger than life, but not as frightening as Albedo.  And Sephiroth wins points for "Birth of a God" and "One-Winged Angel" which are, in my opinion, two of the best boss music themes ever composed.  

There are plenty of RPGs out there with better heroes and villains than what I've mentioned, but these are the standouts to me among the RPGs I've played over the years, decades even.  These are the people who pop into my mind first.

I approve of this nonsense!
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:22:20 PM »

My favorite heroes are Ryudo and Mareg, both from Grandia II, because they both remind me a lot of myself (in radically different ways, obviously). I also like any silent protagonist - including Isaac.

Favorite villian? Hmmm....it's not one person, but I'll have to say the Bronquian Empire from Yggdra Union. That game (which I'm playing right now) is surprisingly effective at making me hate those conniving sons of bitches.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:28:46 PM »

Favorite villain is easily Luca Blight from Suikoden II. He does the homicidal nutjob perfectly and, unlike Kefka (the next best example) he has genuine reason to be completely fucked up even though it isn't explicitely stated in the game itself. In addition,
Code:
he's a complete bitch to take down. He's ambushed in the middle of the night, his troops slaughtered, and it takes /three/ parties to take him down, countless arrows, and a one on one duel with the hero, and this is only about 2/3rds of the way through the game to boot. There's probably been more villains returning from seeming death and with millions of transformations in the final battle, but Luca Blight just refuses to actually go down and remains human throughout. The next best example there would be Liquid Snake in the original MGS, and hey! That came with a demo of SuikII in Japan, funny coincidence.

Best protagonist? I can't really think of a best main character, I like those in the MegaTen series generally, I really liked Cecil when I was younger, and Ryudo/Laharl were amusing jackasses (initially at least). The best good guy period though, I'm going to give that to Heat from DDS. Fantastic localization/acting plus pretty good development, he stands out to me way more than many RPG characters do.

Edit: I should note I can be pretty fickle, but Suikoden II is definitely the best for antagonists.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »

It was kind of hard for me to figure this out at all.

I agree with the Luca Blight and the spoiler part.  He was a great and memorable antagonist.  

I was trying to think through some of my favorite games and I couldn't really come up with any that were my favorite and who I absolutely loved (Lately, not many main characters of a story have won me over).  

I also liked Laharl for his wacky humor and insane banter (also am a big Disgaea fan so I'm a bit biased.  

unlike Kefka (the next best example) he has genuine reason to be completely fucked up even though it isn't explicitely stated in the game itself.

I used to think this way too, but I recently played through FF6 again (but for the GBA) and at some point, I think at the Imperial Camp with Sabin and Cyan, one of the soldiers remark that Cid fried Kefka's brain when he overly infused him with magic.  I don't know if this was in the Japanese version or not, but it was something I noticed this time and thought was worth mentioning because it was news to me.  Would have been nice if it was given more attention to.

edit: I do notice you wrote explicitly, so maybe you caught this yourself.  Still thought it was worth mentioning since it seemed like it was easy to miss.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 10:16:23 PM »

Close enough to what I knew about Kefka, but I said genuine reason because I thought Kefka's was kinda weak being 'Ok, we just fucked up and made him insane! Whoops!' It works, but psychological trauma completely fucking Luca Blight up makes for a more interesting character.

Edit: Actually, I should give more credit to Kefka. He managed to do what many antagonists WISH they could do, and make it stick.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 02:32:13 AM »

My favorite hero is the Avatar because he's generally meant to embody virtues and, er, isn't some sort of anti-hero that we're supposed to cheer for despite the fact that he's some sort of murderer or an angry jerk or whatever.

Granted, you CAN make the Avatar be a mass murdered, but you're not going to win the game like that. Or really progress terribly far.

It's neat because he's still a rather human character, though. Literally, in the context of the games, he's just some guy from Texas that was at a RenFaire at the right moment. But more in context of the ingame events... Well, you could play him as a sterile, removed sort of figure, but three are opportunities to make him a lot more human. And I don't mean just killing everyone and pretending... !@#$%, I don't know. I mean the game actually has dialogue options and scenarios that let you roleplay, in comparison to that "Let's pretend" bull!@#$ that Daggerfall had (or Battlecruiser for that matter). To some extent though, I mean, you can steal a bit and maybe even get away with some unethical stuff, but the game doesn't out and out reward your for it like Fallout or whatever does, and you really only want to do it if it's an end justifies the means type thing. But scenario wise, like... in Ultima 7, you CAN have gay avatar if you want to. You CAN have a polygamic Avatar if you want to. You can sort of modulate how you act towards your party members or the Fellowship or whatever.

It's not so much WHAT the Avatar is, but the way you can work with the character, and the way the game... sort of 'suggests' things at you. In the sense that you have a good deal of freedom of character development with him, but it's nowhere to the extent of "the avatar is WHATEVER," and there's no real, super-generic good/evil dichotomy. It's more like a deconstruction/reconstruction of the RPG hero, or in a greater context maybe even the fantasy hero, alles klar?

It's also the only more open-ended RPG I've played where I actually know your NPC companions get majorly pissed off at you if you break the law.

As far as RPG villains go, I'm going to say Giygas. I could go into some long, Tim Rodgers-esque rant about why, but instead I'm just going to link you to a picture:

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7538/giygas2up3.jpg

See, I don't know whether or not it's intentional. I almost doubt that it is. That's not the point. Giygas manages to be so absolutely screwed up that people can actually see stuff like that and think that maybe it is sort of plausible. It's not that he's a well written villain with believable motives. It's that Giygas is... well, seriously screwed up in a way that affects the player more than the little characters on the screen. The music, the visuals, Pokey's cracked out dialogue, Giygas' cracked out rape scene dialogue. I actually don't know what it is about it, individually, but whatever it is it makes me feel VERY UNHAPPY inside.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 02:50:07 AM »

wow, I never knew that about Giygas. That's amazing ... and crazy. I need to play Earthbound again now that I am teh older.

Thanks for the link!

Now, my picks:

Heroes
Phoenix Wright -- The man without a plan. <3 him.

Baten Kaitos Origins -- Not just Sagi ... the whole trio is awesome, as are you, the player. Loved the good guys in this game.

Villains
Kuja (FFIX) -- Not his style or anything, but his motives...

Code:
when faced with the reality of his own mortality, he can't handle it. It's like what the Buddha experienced, except Kuja never learns about meditation. But anyway, our society likes to ignore death, but it's a hard reality to face, and Kuja's experience with learning he really CAN'T be immortal is an awful lesson.

Odio (LiveALive) -- I won't even try to explain it. Just play the Super Famicom import from Square. One of the best villain concepts EVER.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 02:54:42 AM »

dubble post!

Quote from: "Dincrest"
My favorite RPG villain is easily Albedo from Xenosaga.  That guy is absolutely and positively frightening.  He's intelligent, extremely complex, so utterly and disgustingly twisted, and also quite charismatic.

Did you finish the Xenosaga series yet? His role at the end of XS2 and into XS3 makes him, easily, one of the best characters in the whole series. I mean, the stuff that happens in Xenosaga I with the Kirchwassers is what defines him for the player as a "bad guy," but what we see at XS2's beginning and onward really un-one-dimension-ifies him.

It's kind of like what I said I liked about Kuja, except backwards:

Code:
Instead of being faced with his own mortality, Albedo is faced with the agonizing thought that HE is immortal, but no one else is. He'll experience every loss possible if he even tries to develop bonds with other people. People don't want to die, but maybe if we were faced with Albedo's situation, we really would prefer death...

<3 Albedo.

Ramza

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 04:29:59 AM »

Favorite Hero - Delita, bar none. Throughout the entirety of FFT, the players are introduced to Delita as a young, unassuming, well meaning knight apprentice whose world is devastated at the cruelty and coldheartedness of aristocracy. His actions throughout the entire FFT storyline look to be as if he was just using everyone else for his own means, and on some level, he was. But in the end he was merely unraveling control and influence from those who would use it to oppress and manipulate the more well meaning and goodwilled. However, even at the end, despite fulfilling all his wishes, he's unable to be happy, as nobody trusts him anymore and he has not a single friend. Not Orlan, not even Ovelia, who was one of the only people he actually truthfully loved and cherished - and ironically, died by his own hand. So he may have achieved his dreams, but he sacrificed everything he held dear to do it. From the opening to the ending, Delita's character is developed brilliantly.

Runner up - Hero of Suikoden V. He's a mute character, but it's the development of the characters around him and their reactions to your actions that make him such a great character. You can make him dote on his little sister and be a rash and heroic figure, or a coward who picks on Lymsleia. Pretty much every choice in the game makes the characters around him act a certain way that gives you an idea of what he's like. For example, in the beginning of the game you're given an option to rush in and save someone being attacked by monsters or sitting there and panicking. Choosing the first option leads Sialeeds to say "There he goes again, rushing into things." In many games where the mute character is supposed to be the player, there is scarcely any reaction to actions made in game. Suikoden V did it in a way that actually made me feel connected with the characters.

Best Villain - Weigraf from FFT. He starts as a idealistic warrior with hope and dreams of creating a better world for the common man, a revolutionary whose ideals carried him. Then the government crushed his uprising, murdered his sister, and devasatated his army as well as his dream. Broken and with nothing left, he begins a slow descend from hopeful idealist into cynical, bitter warrior whose anger ultimately dooms his soul.

Runner Up - Guildenstern from Vagrant Story. He's leader of the knights of the cross and you just know he's an evil bastard. He chases Sydney around Lea Monde not to bring him to justice or to 'cleanse his evil,' but for his own demented goals of 'bettering' the world. At the very end, he does one of the most grotesque acts I've ever seen in a game - he rips off the skin from Sydney's back (which had the Blood Sin tattooed onto it) and puts it on his own, then kills his lover, Samantha. That's pretty much as evil as you can get.

Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 05:02:06 AM »

Tough call, really.

My favorite hero would have to be Laharl from the first Disgaea. As much as I would like to give this title to a character that isn't within a comedy-based game, I can't help but metion the guy. In all honesty, he's the most memorable main character I've experienced in a game, and it's been a good long while since I've played the dang game. He's just so chock full of hilarity, and you can't help but love his personality, the predicaments he gets himself into, and the fantastic responses he has to these events. His personality is definitely one that you love to hate, since he's a pretty big asshole, but considering he's so funny and badass, it's easy to forgive him. There isn't all that much depth to the guy, and he isn't exactly an onion-layered character, but I just loved playing as him.

Vivi Ornitier from Final Fantasy IX would easily be my favorite non-main character. The transformation that his personality goes through throughout the course of the game is astonishing to me. He starts off as a timid, clutzy, ill-informed person (yes, I consider him a person :P), but by the end, the changes in personality really become apparent. I was also a big fan of his curiosity, and how he wasn't afraid to question the world around him. The fact that he was able to embrace the truths of his life, and the lives around him, was really joyous for me to experience.

The villain is the hardest one to decide, seeing as though villains don't exactly stick with me all that well. I tend to like the twisted, eloquent enemies, so Albedo (Xenosaga), Kuja (FFIX), The Joker (Persona 2), and even Jenna Angel (Digital Devil Saga) are all up there. Vyers (aka, Midboss, from Disgaea) also deserves an honorable mention, simply because he put up with so much crap from Laharl throughtout the game. :P
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 09:04:26 AM »

Pat, yes I finished every Xenosaga game.  I agree with you on Albedo.  He is a complex character and certainly one who I would fear.  But in the context of an RPG, he's certainly not a protagonist since he thwarts your protagonists at almost every turn.  

You could argue about a whole slew of characters like Albedo and Krelian who aren't clearly defined as heroes or villains in the greater context of the stories (after all, there are vast forces out there that are far above Albedo in the Xeno world), but for the player playing the game, they are antagonists that we fight with our parties.

I approve of this nonsense!
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 10:45:13 AM »

I'm more fond of the quirky unusual characters that come up in RPGs. Characters like Red XIII from FF7 or Frog from Chrono Trigger. If I had to pick one, it would be Red XIII though. Just his overall design and how his whole character comes together did it for me. With his age, the way he talks is very wise and sagely which is a turn-on. Which is probably why I love Frog too. His medieval Shakesperian lingo was very entertaining to read throughout the game. I think these characters are a testament to how creative game designers can get.

Honorable mentions: Joachim from Shadow Hearts 2, just because of how silly and ridiculous and FABULOUS his character is. Bebedora from Twilight of the Spirits. I loved Vivi from FF9 as well.

Villains, I don't care for so much. I guess I would choose Lavos because (possible spoiler?)

Code:
of how it can kill you in any time era it so desires, whether it be in the prehistoric ages or in the future. Now that's pretty bad ass. And, like Kefka, it also succeeds in destroying the world.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: