Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 12:03:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332799 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  favorite hero and boss from any game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: favorite hero and boss from any game  (Read 5723 times)
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 11:40:12 AM »

I must say that when truly understanding the entirety of Giygas character he has risen quite high on my list of antagonists. It is just a theory, but it is fascinating and a bit chilling.

"Shigesatso Itoi stated that his inspiration for Giygas' speech came from a traumatic childhood experience where he mistakenly walked into an adult movie theater and caught a glimpse of a rape scene in the 1957 movie Kenpei and the Dismembered Beauty."

Which could explain why it is so disturbing.

In any case, I find it hard to choose a protagonist that I like, seeming as most that have a personality, i.e aren't mutes, are the kind that I have a hard time connecting with. I always have a easier time connecting with antagonists than protagonists as long as the antagonist simply a deranged madman.

Well, Manny Calavera is easily one of the best protagonists I've ever encountered so I think I'll give him the title. Yes, I stand by that decision 100%. Phoenix Wright gets an honorary mention as well.

When it comes to antagonists, I have a hard time choosing. The first that springs to mind is of course Kefka, even though I believe that there are better choices in terms of character, because I simply adore his madness and general distance to everything. Like everything is merely a joke to him and he is the final punchline.

I'll also mention Lezard Valeth in VP2. Not only was he a very enjoyable antagonist but he was brilliantly delivered by Liam O'Brien. He still holds the title of Best Manic Laughter.

I will find you. Without fail.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 02:31:49 PM »

I notice a lot of people mentioning FFIX characters. For the record, I was also playing FFIX recently. I'm not really far in it yet, but I'm actually liking it a fair piece better than many of the other FF games I've played. I have no idea why I managed to consistently forget that it even existed up to like, a year ago.

Which is probably why I love Frog too. His medieval Shakesperian lingo was very entertaining to read throughout the game.

To quote Scott Sharkey, the Chrono Trigger re-translation guys can go die in a fire :3 Obviously not literally but jesus CHRIST that thing sucks (like most fan retranslations. I'm playing one for the first Phantasy Star now and it's like whoever did it has no idea how commas function).

I also liked red XIII a lot for that matter.

A) He's a doggy-thing. I like doggies!
B) He's vaguely native american-inspired. Neat! (And Cosmo Canyon was the best song on that goddamn soundtrack and perhaps the world)
C) Last member of a dying race is sort of old, but not when that dying race consisted of talking dogs!
D) 48, and still a child? Also nifty.
E) In a lot of ways he sort of embodied many of the other characters. He was experimented on like Cloud and Sephiroth, Last Member of a Dying Race like Aeris, and just other details. I actually think FFVII subverts a lot of RPG tropes and Red XIII does too, but I can't actually say if that's intentional -- it's sort of a fine line between brilliance and retardery and a lot of it depends on speculation. I like to side on 'clever' or a very perfect balance between both resulting in 'relatively normal.'

Other villains I like are like, Dark Force and Lavos. Which are pretty similar in nature. Oh, I might as well lump Deus in. It's not that they're force of nature villains (which can get sort of lame) -- it's that they embody the sort of crazy, over-the-topness that I find attractive about JRPGs to begin with and why the modern trend of restraint is sort of bleugh to me (This applies both to JRPGs and western RPGs obviously. And it's why I think I like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines so much. That game is so goddamn camp and it just *revels* in it. Most games are like WELL MAYBE WE CAN HAVE WEREWOLVES IF WE DO THIS TO BALANCE IT, but VtM:B is just like, WEREWOLVES? !@#% YES WE HAVE WEREWOLVES). all three basically repeatedly screw stuff over across long periods of time and in any case when the heroes DO finally win the final costs hardly justify the victory.

Hello, I am ineloquent. [/code]

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 02:35:20 PM »

What, nobody mentioned Yuri (Shadow Hearts) yet? Normally I like the nice guys, but who can resist a badass like Yuri? And unlike Ryudo he doesn't go all puppies and rainbows halfway through the story.

Favorite antagonist... can I pick the egg from Saga Frontier II? Not exactly the epitome of character development or dark pasts, but it's an evil egg and it put up an epic fight, that has to count for something, right? Other favorites are Luca Blight, Fou-lu and, of course, Ghaleon.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 02:50:48 PM »

Heroes: Frog/Glenn (CT); Kain (FFIV); Yangus (DQVIII); Sora (KH); Nash (Lunar); Dekar (Lufia II); Rudo (PSII); Locke (FFVI)

Villians: Kefka (FFVI); Pandora (PSII); Riku (KH); Gannon (Zelda)

JP
Krelian

pmtome@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 04:00:32 PM »

The mines are :
Favorite Heroes: Yury Hyuga (Shadow hearts I&II) and Ashley Riot (Vagrant story).

Favorite Villains: Krelian (Xenogear), Albedo (Xenosaga 1,2,3) and Luca Blight (suikoden II)

maybe i forgot someone more...

Sona mi areru ec sancitu
odetooblivion

View Profile

Ignore
Ok
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 05:19:16 PM »

Issac (Golden Sun) is my favorite because of his traditional life story, (kid from some village thrown into a quest to save the world.

Villain is Lord of Fire (Enchanted Arms) because not only is he difficult, but he has that OMG factor. Overwhelming you wit the wait three turns before attacking thing.

Honorable mention:  Riku (KH games), Jowy (Suikoden II) and any Friends that become major opponents.    

I agree with Suikoden II being a great game
. And both KH games were great. I felt that FFX and FFVIII were the best in the Final Fantasy series. Enchanted Arms, although not brillant, was a good game. And of course Dragon Quest 8.

Life as an Anarchist is a life with no rules,
a life with no rules is a life not worth living.
For rules set goals and goals set dreams!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 07:19:31 PM »

Is this favourite hero and boss or favourite hero and villain?

I swear we just had a favourite villain topic a couple of months ago.

Favourite boss?

The giant mouth in Folklore. Not a particularly hard boss, but looks really rad.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 09:28:01 PM »

VILLAINS:

Easy: Kuja (FFIX), followed by Ghaleon (Lunar 1/2)

I like complex villains that show multipul sides of themselves, maybe some good, maybe some bad, maybe some blatent character flaws. Very few final villains have intense character flaws. Usually, they're highly charasmatic people who are amazing in everything except that they're evil... or on the flipside, they're total schmucks who you just hate through and through (like Kefka). Either way, they're usually really one-sided. Kuja has much more to his personality than "I'm a charasmatic evil badass" (sorry Sephiroth, I'm looking at you). Oh, he's a badass, but he's

also self-consciously full of himself in a way that others can see right through. Also, he's the only villain I know who's final motive for doing what he's doing is personal rebellion. Hero's fighting out of rebellion is boring and overdone, but a villain fighting out of personal rebellion is an interesting twist, and done very well in FF9.

Ghaleon, unfortunately, I can't talk about why I love him so much without spoiling one of the biggest secrets in Lunar 2.

I guess that, in the end, I'm most interested in villains who are 3 dimensional and break the mould.

HEROS

As heros go, however, I can't say that I'm so interested in most heros. Usually they fill a few basic architypes: total badass, whiny bitch who becomes slightly less of a whiny bitch by the end, emo kid, jolly good-natured kid whose out to save the world, or maybe just his best (note: female) friend.

Probably my favorites are Squall (FF8), Ryudo (Grandia II), Zydane (FF9), and Luke (Tales of the Abyss). No, none of them break the mould, and all fit cleanly into an architype, but within that architype, they're just written better and more 3-dimensional than most.

Celes is also probably one of my favorite heros, but I don't know whether to call her the "lead" or not, that's up for grabs, I guess, but I've sorta thought of her as the lead, definitely in the 2nd half, anyway. Best attempted suicide scene ever, btw.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 11:54:47 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

To quote Scott Sharkey, the Chrono Trigger re-translation guys can go die in a fire :3

I believe it was Chris Kohler who said that.

Anyway, I was playing Radiata Stories again today, and remembered how fond I am of Jack Russell. I dunno, I guess I like his unyielding confidence. And as I've said a couple times, I think he's cute...but that DOES NOT MAKE ME GAY...does it?
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2008, 12:19:13 AM »

Protagonists:

--Ashley Riot from Vagrant Story

--Yuri from Shadow Hearts: Covenant

--Jade from Beyond Good & Evil

--Fei from Xenogears

--Edge from Panzer Dragoon Saga

--The Demi-Fiend from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

Antagonists:

--Sydney and Guildenstern from Vagrant Story

--The Domz High Priest from Beyond Good & Evil

--Ghaleon from Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

--Albedo, Virgil, Wilhelm, Margulis, and Yuriev from Xenosaga

--Krelian, Lacan, Miang, Ramsus, and Id from Xenogears

--Craymen from Panzer Dragoon Saga

--Jowy and Luca Blight from Suikoden II

--Kato from Shadow Hearts: Covenant

--Jenna Angel from Digital Devil Saga

--Magus and Lavos from Chrono Trigger

When it comes to crafting truly interesting and compelling antagonists, Xeno has a stranglehold on the entire JRPG genre.

"Time fades even legend..."
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2008, 10:44:42 AM »

A kind of lame response, but a personal favourite is Link of the Zelda series.  He's the embodiment of hero.  Aside from the typical parts about him: sword, sheild, save the princess; his courage, skills, and selflessness make him a standout.

As much as I *kinda* don't like the idea of silent protagonists; they probably give off that hero essence better than any talking one.  Mainly because they seem more innocent, only do the right thing.  And I guess it helps that they don't say anything so you don't really have anything to judge them by besides options the player chooses.

Other mentions go to Ryodo (from Grandia2, for his ass behavior before he pussies out on your and becomes nice), Lloyd (ToS; for being nice, funny, and all around do-gooder),  Zidane (FFIX, for having some depth to him), Lenneth (VP; proving lead heroines can kick ass), and the cast of FF6.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »

this hard for for me because its usually not the hero i like but the supporting cast or a character(s) that is the hero's support pillar(s). though despite not finishing FF6(i lost interest when kefka torched the planet) i really identified with Terra so i guess that make she my favorite. when she said can a human or esper love i knew exactly what she was thinking since im biracial black/white

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 08:50:34 PM »

Heroes:

-Commander Shepard- Mass Effect

-The Demifiend- SMT: Nocturne

-KOS-MOS, Jin Uzuki, chaos- Xenosaga

- Balthier- Final Fantasy XII

- The Embryon- Digital Devil Saga

Villains

-Albedo, Wilhelm- Xenosaga

-Jon Irenicus- Baldur's Gate II

-Saren Arterius- Mass Effect

-The Judges- Final Fantasy XII

-Lucifer- SMT: everything

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 05:21:14 AM »

I really have to agree with Meis from Thousand Arms here. There's just something grand about having a shamelessly flirtatious and careless guy as a protagonist. Sure, he sometimes got serious, but never for too long! Overall, he just made the game that much better which his attitude. Hell, he just enjoyed himself so damn much you couldn't help enjoying yourself too. Definitely, I couldn't help but love the guy.

Otherwise, as far as protagonist goes, I'm a little surprised nobody named The Nameless One! Give the guy some credit for depth at least! I've never cared quite as much for an amnesiac's past as I did for the guy. Definitely on top of the list. He's from Planescape: Torment, for those who are unaware.

Then there's Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile. If only because she's too damn badass for words and I respect that. Silly yes, but it made me love her. <3

Chris from Suikoden III, Laharl from Disgaea: Hours of Darkness, Stan from Okage and Phoenix Wright all get special mentions for being all-around awesome characters to incarnate.

Now, as far as antagonist goes, the best one for me is definitely Luca Blight! The guy's just crazy awesome and the most love-to-hate omnicidal bastard I've ever had the pleasure to slaughter in a struggle of truly epic proportions. His boss fight alone makes him the damn best.

Then an unusual choice, I'll admit, I'd like to mention Noir from La Pucelle Tactics. I'm sure most of you don't even remember him but there was something about his VA and his lines.... and also his motives. I'm not sure I've ever seen another antagonist be motivated by faith born out of grief and loss to justify their actions. Before his slow corruption at the power offered to him by darker powers, one can easily see how is motives could seem just to his eyes. Death is inevitable, yes, but is suffering through grief due to the death of others necessary? That's something that's somewhat thought-provoking. I can't really hope most people will agree but I definitely loved him.

The whole Godwin family from Suikoden V and the whole crazy cast of antagonists of Thousand Arms get special mention, along with poor buttmonkey Mid-Boss.
Code:
Or should we call him King Krichevskoy!

~My melody of life, rhyming to memento mori...
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »

Oh, I also liked Batlin from Ultima 7 as a villain. His weird scientologist views ring STRANGELY TRUE today.

Also, I don't really know if you can call it a villain, but the living building guy from Albion was pretty neat too.

As far as favorite bosses I will have to think about that.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: