Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 11:39:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319050 Posts in 13030 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best secondary characters...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Best secondary characters...  (Read 3086 times)
Wolfrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 08:47:28 AM »

I always loved Zell from FFVIII, mostly because he reminded me of someone I knew in real life and irritated the hell out of me because of it. As the game progressed though, I found him growing on me.

Bowman from Star Ocean: The Second Story was always one of my favorite characters (though I rarely used him in battle) just because he was this cool-headed guardian type. I always found myself wishing for a way to delve into his back story a little more.

"I played poker with tarot cards the other night. I got a full house and four people died."
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »

A best secondary characters thread is not complete without mention of Bebedora from Arc the Lad: TotS.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 02:52:40 PM »

"I'm just a walking set of tits and ass"

This quote is funny because Argilla EATS PEOPLE with her boobies. Which in and of itself is weird because of how... motherly she seems at times. Also, Cielo's Jamaican accent sort of bugged me at first but then I got to the second game and

Code:
realized the entire thing takes place in Oregon.

I always loved Zell from FFVIII

Zell sort of shares traits with Iori Junpei.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »

*Final Fantasy IX Spoilers*

Code:
One question about Vivi. I've played the game, and I've talked with various people, and it seems that many are devided as to whether he's alive at the end of the game. It's kind of ambigious, because the black text that usually signifies his speaking seems to imply that he's dead and looking back on his life. Plus, you don't actually see him in the end, only his "children".

Either way, he doesn't have long to live. For this reason, I found FF9s ending to be the saddest in the series, probably even sadder than FFX. It certainly opened the road for a tragic FF ending.

Also, Vivi and Kuja seem VERY Blade Runner influenced. Kuja even says the line, "Wake up, time to die".

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 03:10:44 PM »

Quote from: "LaVal"
A best secondary characters thread is not complete without mention of Bebedora from Arc the Lad: TotS.

Darc's half of the story had some really interesting and original characters. However, I can't even recall any of the characters in Kharg's party...
Nymphomatic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 03:23:19 PM »

Quote from: "Sketch"

Vivi Ornitier from Final Fantasy IX would easily be my favorite non-main character. The transformation that his personality goes through throughout the course of the game is astonishing to me. He starts off as a timid, clutzy, ill-informed person (yes, I consider him a person :P), but by the end, the changes in personality really become apparent. I was also a big fan of his curiosity, and how he wasn't afraid to question the world around him. The fact that he was able to embrace the truths of his life, and the lives around him, was really joyous for me to experience.

[/quote]

Completely agree. And in that same vein of discovering their own humanity theme I'd also nominate Lucia from Lunar: Eternal Blue. As much as I love Vivi *snuggles plush* she did it first.

I also loved Yangus in DQ8. Not because he depicted (I have no idea what expicted is or what I was trying to write o.O) any extreme personal growth. But just because he was funny and lovable. I always enjoy a good character with funny dialouge. Kudos for his voice acting and underpants dance. :P

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 03:50:31 PM »

Ramus from Lunar SSS.... This guys is the best secondary character ever!! He is your best friend, supporting you form the beginning of the game and is the only character Ive seen so far who actually let you rip his shop. I have yet to see such frienship in other games (XD)...

Now Vicky from Suikoden is also one of the best

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 04:39:03 PM »

Quote from: "Nymphomatic"
I also loved Yangus in DQ8. Not because he exipted any extreme personal growth. But just because he was funny and lovable.

He also featured some of the best dialog I've ever seen in a video game. Comedic-yet-realistic dialog is hard to come by, his is there in spades. Great VA too. I need to sit down and finish that game one of these days... it got so difficult towards the end (at least, I think it was towards the end, I have no idea), that I finally gave up. But great game, none the less.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sir_Dekar

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2008, 12:08:49 AM »

The best secondary character is Dekar of Lufia II and Tellah of Final Fantasy IV.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 02:30:32 AM »

Holly from Monster Rancher 2 is kinda cute... Er..!

I liked the secondary characters from SMT: Nocturne a lot. Well... Okay, that's not exactly the right word, but I like how they were developed and used. And some of the scenes they were in and just the immense amounts of Really F'ed Up Stuff in that game. Especially that one scene with Chiaki sort of towards the end.

Code:
The head-crush bit. It's not that it was an evil character doing something violent. It was that it was a previously-normal teenaged girl doing something arbitrarily and rather excessively violent.

And in addition to that, you're following these characters throughout the game and trying to keep up with them because they're really your only tethers to the old world and then they just get reduced into monsters. The whole kill or be killed world that's more "kill or be killed, we don't really care". It's the same thing that DDS took a lot more, uh, literally I guess.

Anyway, that scene. I can imagine that after the writers came up with that, they sat back in their chairs, puffed triumphantly on a hookah, and nodded assuredly.

"Yeah. We're so damn cool."

And many agreesome nods all around. [/quote]

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: