Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 02:23:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327435 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Hero & Villain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Worst Hero & Villain  (Read 14669 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 02:23:47 PM »

I didn't mind Tidus at all. He's more of a realistic hero than most out there. Honestly, how many 14yr olds will be gung ho about taking over the king of an evil empire, or god, or whatever else the crappy villain always is.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »

Quote from: "Alucard von Elru"

They were also very flawed, which I felt made them actually human and therefore relatable on some level.

This is correct, and one of the reason I think Final Fantasy leads tend to be as enduring as they are.

[/url]
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »

Well, when I don't say I don't like Tidus, I don't mean "poorly written" or "not what they intended." I just don't like him as a character because he's not the sort of personality I like. It's not realy whiny, so much. He doesn't whine that much and his reasons are sort of justified. It's more the seeking attention/affection from his dad who was sort of a bastard and not worth loving. I don't know. I think with FFX though the entire cast was horribly broken in some way or another -- personality quirks, Rikku's childlike simplicity bordering on retardation, Wakka's zeal and idealism bordering on autism, down to stuff like Khimari's problems (Broken horn is a very blatant castration symbol or something) that I can't really remember but uh... I played the game when I was a Freshman in highschool -- 2002 or so -- so not too far after 9/11, and the sort of "Yeah, we're all going to die and everyone is very useless and stupid" sort of captured the way the world felt to me at the time.

Anyway, why does the final boss always have to be the main villain, anyway? Or why does, whatever the final boss is, have to be the main villain? I mean, if the main villain dies in a cutscene and the final battle actually involves "fighting" with his collapsing tower or whatever to keep large chunks of MARBLE from crushing you, you wouldn't call the blocks of marble the main villain.

It was actually pretty fucking funny.

Yes. Which is why disliking him for being a massive dick to everyone is fairly understandable, but disliking him for being an emo just doesn't make sense to me. And the things people refer to, usually, as his emoness -- his babbling about not wanting to rely on other and not want other to rely on him -- is just him trying to maintain a sort of idealized sense of self/philosophy/whatever, while at the same time realizing that it's complete crap and knowing deep down that he really needs to do something else. Which I do find fairly realistic. And I don't think it really makes him LIKABLE but I do think it's interesting and nicely different from heroes that either wear their hearts on their sleaves constantly for... no reason

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Redempteur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 10:06:25 PM »

Hi!!
my worst hero is wthout a doubt yuki from grandia 3
It's bad because even if the main hero start badly ( exemple , luke from TOA ) at some point they change for the better or at least they try to ...something this hero might have forgottten to do .

WORST VILAIN ?

The administrator from STar ocean 3 ...if i have more time to like him or to know him better it would had been great , then
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 12:01:20 AM »

I didn't really like the heroes from SO3 but I didn't really like anything about that game.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 01:46:49 PM »

I thought ever character in Sword of Mana reached new lows in inspiration. Not only that, but all they did was talk, talk talk through the entire damn game. Ugh.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 05:08:31 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
I didn't really like the heroes from SO3 but I didn't really like anything about that game.

Agreed. The ONLY character I actually thought was interesting was Maria, who was kind of a unique architype - you originally think she's kind of mild mannered, but she's actually a really commanding leader with a sharp tounge. Actually, she's one of the most uniquely subtle characters I've ever known, but I absolutely hated the rest of the cast, they were all either really architypical, or just very boring.

Similarly, Raquel from Wild Arms 4. The rest of the cast is incredibly predictable: Young Naive hero boy, sweet innocent heroine, loud mouthed older boy... and then Raquel: Strong-willed badass who's...

Code:
actually trying to do as much living as possible before her inevitable death. Some of her lines turn out to be quite shocking, like when she offers to expose her broken body (in a non-sexual way) to Arnaud.

One Day I'll finished WA4. The game was exremely flawed, but it was also a bit of a diamond in the rough, too. Parts of it turned out much better than I expected (some of the music, Raquel's story, some aspects of the gameplay). I've always wanted to finish it, but if I remember correctly, something else came along and took center stage... Suikoden V, maybe.

I would have liked the villains too, if their dialog hadn't become so extremely cheese-ball. Adults don't sit around and talk about how they're adults... that was just stupid.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 02:21:15 AM »

Yeah, adults just sit around and circle-jerk while watching C-Span and smoking hash. I think. That's what my grandparents did at least.

Anyway, I don't even remember who Maria was in SO3. Nel was that red-haird chick, right? Was Maria that girl that like... was on the first planet, but then she gets killed and she's a sickly girl in that trade empire town or something? Apparently not! But I either never got her or just can't remember anything about the game and I think I spent 17 hours on that !@#%ing thing before deciding that I've never actually played a game I dislike more. I mean, there are other games I don't like, but I can load them up from time to time, see if my opinion has changed, if it has, keep playing, if not, do something else. SO3 is the only game that actually gives me something akin to a panic attack when I think about it.

I'd also like to state that I loved how several of the characters (Kurt, for instance) apparently didn't have characterization and just randomly adopted whatever role the story needed at the moment. At first I thought it was cute and giving them personality quirks and unexpected twists and then I realized they didn't actually have defined personalities and were having every single trait lumped onto them.

And it's not so much a lack of personality because that doesn't necessarily bother me (but sometimes. Explaining why I like some silent mains and don't like others would be very difficult). It's when every character is given every personality and just does whatever the hell.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 02:32:20 AM »

Worst hero is probably Squall. He and the entire cast of Final Fantasy VIII started to annoy me very quickly back then. The orphanage bit on disc 3 with the lousy explanation thereof made them all look like even bigger fools.  

Now, Final Fantasy VIII's villains were as pathetic as Squall and Co., but my vote for worst hero probably goes to Alfina's brother and his gang of rejects in Grandia III. I don't expect an epic story from a Grandia game, but those guys were easily among the most shallow villains I have seen in my gaming career.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 04:09:35 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"

I kinda liked Albel, but that was probably because we had something in common; we both hated the same characters. I just wish he could have been more creative with language...
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2008, 10:18:22 AM »

baffles me why so many people hate squall especially since i've known so many men like him in the real world. hi see your best friend there she would fuck you in a heartbeat all you have to do is ask! but instead you fall for the next pretty face you see! *facepalm* maybe you hate him because you are just like him and dont want to admit it!!!!

the worst hero ever is clear the main character in dragon warrior 1! i kinda disliked the main character in suikoden 4 as well. also any timid female character voiced by michelle ruff makes me want to kill someone. rukia is fine but that voice made me want to strangle sophia and alicia.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2008, 10:53:48 AM »

Has anyone played Sword of Hope (gameboy)? Prince Theo is the worst hero ever, really. Like most silent heroes, he doesn't have a drop of personality. Unlike most heroes, he doesn't have a speck of intelligence either. You though Rikku was retarded? Atleast she doesn't accidently hit herself with her own offensive magic unless she is confused. Prince Theo fried his own ass at the worst possible moments. Difficult boss, both of us have less than 10HP left, Prince Theo hits himself with his own fireball. Game Over.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »

haha how could i forget the worst hero ever just because he sucks! its Roy from fire emblem. unlike his smash bros appearence hes one of the worst characters in the game but you have to use him. he is by far the worst hero in any srpg i've played. hes like eirika except not awesome.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
baffles me why so many people hate squall especially since i've known so many men like him in the real world. hi see your best friend there she would fuck you in a heartbeat all you have to do is ask! but instead you fall for the next pretty face you see! *facepalm* maybe you hate him because you are just like him and dont want to admit it!!!!

No, I admit I'm a lot like Squall sometimes.

Just because someone acts like you doesn't mean you can't hate the person.  Even if you don't like the archetype you somewhat fall into, you are still allowed to dislike said archetype.  Maybe you hate a character for falling into an archetype you don't like or maybe you hate a character because if you both fit the same archetype, you might dislike someone else like you because they infringe on your individuality.

I'll choose the fact that I just hate Squall "because", as even though I hate Squall, I fucking heart Ryudo.  Who is a totally similar character sometimes.

It's just like when I say "I hate kids" and people respond with "how can you hate kids you used to be one"!!!!!1  Well, that may be true, but I also hate skaters even though I used to be one of those.  Unfortunately.

...I know, I'm ashamed too.  :P

Plus Squall's hair looks like it was modeled after someone in Fallout Boy or Taking Back Thursday or some other bloody emo band.  And that's the best reason to hate someone.  Because of their hair.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 08:12:00 PM »

LOL Los!

Funny, Ryudo is probably my second favorite RPG hero, go figure... although his hair isn't anything to write home about. Then again, I thought Squall's hair was probably the most "normal" of any FF hero. Cloud and Titus have the whole EXTREME hairspray going on, Zidane has a 1950s bowl-cut, and Vaan... well, Vaan's is just unnatural looking. Squall's just looked completely normal to me. Not emo in the slightest. I've had friends who were boring CS majors who could pull off a decent Squall cosplay, and the hair looked normal. Never known an emo kid who looked like Squall.

But I'd probably hate him in real life. It's the insite into his personality that really allows me to empathize with him.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: