Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 01:27:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334852 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Hero & Villain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Worst Hero & Villain  (Read 14941 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2008, 03:55:48 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"

I'll choose the fact that I just hate Squall "because", as even though I hate Squall, I fucking heart Ryudo.  Who is a totally similar character sometimes.

They both don't care, but it is how they don't care that makes the difference.

Squall: ... whatever...

Ryudo: ...I'm sorry, were you waiting for me to give a damn?

Obviously, Ryudo wins.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2008, 02:12:45 PM »

FFVIII sort of predated a lot of emo bands. And the whole emo subculture as it is known today really. Squall's probably modelled after JPop kiddies like Gackt, if anything.

Also, seriously.

http://www.eternal-legend.com/ffviii/pcs/shots/squall.jpg Squall.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/jpop/essentials/gackt/img/gackt.jpg Fucking looks like Squall.

http://entimg.msn.com/i/msn_video/falloutboy_dancedance.jpg Does not look like Squall.

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper518/stills/1ev21359.jpg Actually maybe resembles Queen Brahne sort of.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2008, 05:03:42 PM »

That Gackt dude (that is a dude, isn't it?) looks a hell of a lot more like Titus than Squall. In fact, Cloud (in his strangely disproportioned way), probably more closely resembles Gackt than Squall does. Squall doesn't look like he has 5lbs of grease in his hair, compared to the others.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2008, 08:13:44 PM »

True, but the point I was making is that Squall isn't a fat, pepper-bearded redhead.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

maverick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »

I like heroes who act like a normal person in real life, so people like Squall, Tidus, and Luke from Tales of the Abyss are characters that make you feel the imaginary realness of the game. I think the writers for those characters did a magnificent job in developing all of them and making them as realistic as possible.  

The award for worst hero imo has to be Suikoden 4's main character aka Lazlo. I believe someone mentioned it here as well and I full agree. Super tight jacket, super short shorts, the gay running, and I know he's silent, but the way the game develops him has got to be one of the worst ever. The potential of making him cool was there considering the potential of coolness the Rune of Punishment had, but they failed in every single way.

"To be honest your logic reeks more of a drunk man...but calling you drunk would be a compliment because that would mean one day you could awaken from this state of ignorance."
- Originally Posted by Younggrease
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2008, 12:32:18 AM »

I don't understand the Squall hate; it's not like he's some stupid fratboy, or anything. I thought he was a pretty thoughtful, introspective, reflective, pensive character; I didn't think he was emo so much as badboy. I also liked his sarcastic quips, much like Ryudo. His damage? "No point in getting close to people, they'll just leave me anyway. I gotta take care of myself." A realistic enough dilemma.

Tidus was a whiner, and it wasn't even funny when he shot his mouth off. All he had to say was "Daddy never loved me..." If that doesn't say, "I'm a wimp," I don't know what does.

Jude (Wild Arms 4); a 13 year-old should never be the lead. We don't care about pre-adolescence at our stage in life.

Now, Arnaud (also Wild Arms 4)was one damn disappointment of a character. I mean, he looks cool and all, he SOUNDS confident, but he's really just petty and cowardly at his core; it's like he's meant to be a parody of badass, cocky, cool-guy characters. I just can't get over how much of a damn disappointment his character is.

The badass in Wild Arms 4 is RACQUEL, considering she's your swordwielder, and her maturity and fortitude of personality. I approve of it, because she manages to pull it off without sounding like a bitch, which is nigh impossible with female characters.

P.S. Can you tell which game I've been focusing on lately?
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2008, 09:26:32 AM »

The WA games to me have always seemed to be about growing up, righting the wrong, and finding your true passion. What better than a 13yr old for the lead?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2008, 11:20:54 AM »

Jude wasn't that bad, I've met more annoying 13-year-olds. Arnaud wasn't that bad either, I actually liked that he tried to be a bad-ass and failed, it's a realistic flaw, right? Raquel was, of course, pure awesome. She's not perfect, she had flaws (like any round character should have) and she was a very admirable character. Who was the fourth character? Little healer/mage girl called Yulie? She was cute, but also very unoriginal.

BTW Is is me or does Jude look like Junior (Xenosaga?). When I was playing WA4, my brother asked me if a new Xenosaga had come out. After he mentioned it, I did see some similarities.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »

Quote from: "Tomara"
Ryudo: ...I'm sorry, were you waiting for me to give a damn?

Grandia II had a great lines for a lot of characters, but they were all wasted on shitty voice actors.

I liked Ryudo as a character, but I played a lot of Grandia II with the volume turned down. Whenever I had to listen to him talk I hated him.

[/url]
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »

You're calling the great Cam Clark a shitty voice actor?! Everluck, how could you! :(

Cam Clark is probably one of the greatest American voice actors of our time, and he did some of his best work in Grandia II. The VA crew was probably one of the most comprehensive ever put together. Not only the star power (woman who played Arial from Little Mermaid, among others), but the quality was superb. Aside from Dragon Quest 8, probably my favorite voice acted game.

Sorry to rag on you, chum, but you struck a nerve there. I've been paying quite a bit of attention to VA work as of late (since I've been doing a lot of voice work myself, for television and radio), and that one stands out as one of the very best. Tales of the Abyss is also up there, too, but that was more anime voice actors instead rather than Disney voice actors.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »

I dunno, I personally think that all of Cam Clarke's characters sound exactly the same.  Yeah, he's got an excellent speaking voice, but he doesn't have the range as, say, Mark Hamill or Billy West.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2008, 02:38:58 PM »

If you go through your PS2 game collection and take a drink every time a new Cam Clarke-voiced character shows up, you'll be dead of cirrhosis before you finish.  It's true.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2008, 03:23:45 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
I've been paying quite a bit of attention to VA work as of late (since I've been doing a lot of voice work myself, for television and radio)

No kidding? Think you could fix me up with some of that? I've always wanted to do voice work since...I started watching anime and playing voiced-over games, and learning that it was a legitimate job.

People tell me I have a wonderful speaking voice...namely the ladies! Hehehe...
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »

Well, I'm a commercial producer for a TV station, and I seem to have a decent voice for it, so I voice a lot of ads. It's mostly announcer shit, which I usually pawn off to others, since I prefer to do voice-acting. My favorite is doing really somber ads, like for sad PSAs (I did a series of diabetes awarenes PSAs that almost made me cry)... although EXTREME CAR SALES are a lot of fun, especially if I'm aloud to go overboard and make fun of them:

http://video.ericbarker.com/Commercials/Variety_Motors-Gas.mov
Not one of my better spots--quite frankly, one of my ugliest, but funny

I also did a weekly radio drama for a couple of years. Unfortunately, none of this stuff pays, and we don't usually have time to search out talent. I'll let you know if we get anything, but its unlikely.

I also do a pretty accurate Solid Snake voice, which I've used in a few commercials, just for the hell of it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2008, 04:02:11 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
EXTREME CAR SALES are a lot of fun, especially if I'm aloud to go overboard and make fun of them:

http://video.ericbarker.com/Commercials/Variety_Motors-Gas.mov
Not one of my better spots--quite frankly, one of my ugliest, but funny

I also do a pretty accurate Solid Snake voice, which I've used in a few commercials, just for the hell of it.

Hahaha...that's so cheeseball, it's great, and yes, great Solid Snake imitation!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: