Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2014, 10:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319284 Posts in 13036 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst Hero & Villain
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print
Author Topic: Worst Hero & Villain  (Read 14450 times)
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2008, 04:04:31 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
FFVIII sort of predated a lot of emo bands. And the whole emo subculture as it is known today really. Squall's probably modelled after JPop kiddies like Gackt, if anything.

It's funny that you mention Gackt, seeing how Square Enix indeed joined forces with him for Dirge of Cerberus. Back then they did model a character after Gackt and he recorded the two vocal themes for the game. Since he has been performing for almost 15 years, I don't think you could call him a "kiddie" anymore, though :P.

That being said, Nomura and folks certainly have a lot of love for Japanese popular culture, seeing how they devoted an entire game (Subarashiki kono Sekai) to one of the iconic spots of that culture, Shibuya. At least, Final Fantasy XIII's characters so far do not seem to follow the hairspray trend :P.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2008, 04:06:09 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
FFVIII sort of predated a lot of emo bands. And the whole emo subculture as it is known today really. Squall's probably modelled after JPop kiddies like Gackt, if anything.

It's funny that you mention Gackt, seeing how Square Enix indeed joined forces with him for Dirge of Cerberus. Back then they did model a character after Gackt and he recorded the two vocal themes for the game. Since he has been performing for almost 15 years, I don't think you could call him a "kiddie" anymore, though :P.

I'd swear they also used Gackt to model Cloud for Advent Children; Cloud looks more like Gackt than Vincent does.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2008, 05:13:41 PM »

Also, as for Contact, I'm not very far in it yet, but the impression I have is that the Professor is the main character and Terry mostly serves as both an avatar for him and the player into the game's world. I also think there may be some thematic purpose to it (the playable character is the only character in a game about communication that really... can't; Terry seems fairly analogous to Mochi; do the moments when you, the player, directly interact with the world and not through Terry mean anything? Also the idea that Terry isn't aware of the player -- are you the link between him and the professor, or is the professor the link between you and Terry?) but I'll play it further before I make up my mind (and reread the manual some).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
You're calling the great Cam Clark a shitty voice actor?! Everluck, how could you! :(

He's a talented and versatile guy, but I hated his voice in Grandia. I probably shouldn't have worded that post the way I did. I can't assume that all the VAs in that game were terrible, but I did think that their work in the game was pretty bad.

Sorry about that?

I understand that the actors for Grandia II were skilled, but that doesn't necessarily make their work on that specific project excellent. This is an example: http://imdb.com/title/tt0955411/

Either way, you're entitled to your opinion. I didn't like the voice acting in Grandia II. I did like the game.

[/url]
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2008, 06:42:28 PM »

fair enough, I'm of the opinion that everything is an opinion... it's just that your opinion happens to be wrong :p

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Puchimint

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2008, 03:42:05 AM »

Worst Villian... I have to say the Oldman  from Timestalkers, I can't remember his name. Because he like the rest of the game is just totally pointless.

He draws all these different times and places together cause he's bored, I guess it could have been an interesting concept if there was any depth at all to him (or any other character in that game).

I won't nominate Sword from that game as worst Hero though...

I can't think of one right now, ah well.

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 09:17:57 AM »

worst hero: the prince from souikoden v :  he mute one, i hate all the silent hero's ones, but this one get on my nervous the most. i hate his face i even hate his smile he looks like gay while he smile . i mean suikv  already have nightmare gameplay,his story is the only good thing about it, and yet they let the hero to be silent hero. and make him the worst ever.

worst  Villian : zio from phantasy star iv: i expect him to be pensive one and tart ,and all that he was is a sissy servant of ..."how awesome "   "dark force" i love ps4 but it could be so much more, if only zio was much better developed and be the main Villian . can't forgive sega on the waste of him....
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 09:48:28 AM »

.... english please?

~My melody of life, rhyming to memento mori...
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 09:54:37 AM »

You know he's not a native speaker, right?  Of course you don't; you just saw the opportunity to be "edgy" and ran right the fuck to it without any sort of thought.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2008, 11:14:54 AM »

God forbid anyone be foreign!

Hurray for North American xenophobia.

Those damned Canadians, saying things wrong, like "zed" and "chesterfield".  They should go back to Canadia!  You know, tucked away down there between Brazil and Ukraine.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2008, 03:08:50 PM »

I never had a problem understanding Salinger's writing. I mean, from a language barrier perspective. I still don't think he makes any damn sense, though -- even when he's being very grammatically correct.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »

Quote from: "Danakir"
.... english please?

hi buddy :) as D-Rider told you im indeed not a naive speaker. i really attempt to be, the most understandable as i can.

i know that my post have some really bad errors in spelling (which i wil correct now, i wrote that reply fast. thus the errors, as for the syntax
(ohh god bless my fucking lame syntax) i do the best i can.

and it all okay to show  me my erros, i dont insulted by that, it really help me to get better. but it wil be nicer if you can say to me, what exactly, you dont understand in my posts, we all here love games and come here to meet pepole like us, don't we?

hope you understand that post better this time around :)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2008, 07:17:49 PM »

I don't think Zio was necessarily a bad villain, but he was a very disappointing one.  More could have been done with him.  He was badassed and did have the masses brainwashed like a cult leader, but there was no backstory or anything.

I approve of this nonsense!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2008, 09:45:40 PM »

Worst hero ever? That's easy:

D-Rider, hands down :P

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lilim

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2008, 09:50:28 AM »

Das's dildoes, Prime Mova. D-Rider's brutal.

On the subject of worst hero/villain, is it possible to nominate all of FFX-2? Please?

I /loved/ the battle system and wished it had been utilized in any other game than this one. What we get is a follow-up to an already questionable RPG. Now Yuna is the main character and it's her turn to whine around Spira while throwing on mostly-stupid looking outfits while performing concerts with her main buddies, the Not-So-Yunas.

The other organizations that exist are laughable at best. Was I supposed to take Leblanc seriously? Did Nooj go to the same hair stylist as Seymour? Why the hell do I still remember all of these names?

It's like a fanfic come to life by the breath of Nomura. I think I'll carry this scar no matter how many other games I play.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: