Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 12:43:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319710 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lost Odyssey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Lost Odyssey  (Read 37883 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:15:24 AM »

It's coming up, who else is getting it? I was thinking of waiting, but decided to just go ahead and preorder it since there was some bonus stuff and the impressions I saw were favorable. After reading some double review thing on Neogaf though... Hmm. One of them likened it to basically Shadow Hearts 4, some of the design's similar and ex-Nautilus staff worked on the game, but since I was let down by SH2 that makes me a bit weary, not to mention the load times and long random encounters. Still though, I dug up a video of a battle to see how it was, just watch and judge for yourself.

Edit: Preposterously late fix.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:24:08 AM »

What let you down about SH2?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 12:26:36 AM »

I'll probably get it. I'm rather sick of this notion that just because a game has "flaws" it's somehow undesirable. Every game in history has had "flaws" and I'd be hard pressed to find a title where I didn't have at least a handful of complaints. Even Chrono Trigger comes up short in a few areas (hi there temporal mechanic issues).

It's no small bonus that this game looks about as much better over Blue Dragon as Eva Longoria over a roadkill prostitute.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 12:31:19 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
What let you down about SH2?

Just read this post, it's not worth reiterating everything when I already covered it there. With that said, while battle speed is a concern this change from hitting a ring three times to hitting some Ouendan-esque circle once could make all the difference, especially since it's done midrun. A fixed camera won't be so bad I think since BD already gave me my free roaming camera and the towns sound like they'll be neat.

On the note of BD: It's not really that bad. It's nothing amazing but it's a good, solid RPG. People should check it out if they can find it for $30 or close enough like I did, it isn't quite awesome enough for $60.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:16:50 AM »

I'll be perfectly frank, Eus: BD is a piece of mediocre tripe that's come about ten to twenty years too bloody late. Between the boring character designs, paper-thin plot, rather plain world design, and "well I've seen that done before" gameplay, I can't help but come away feeling like I've been eating semi-stale bread.

I mean, were I starving then semi-stale bread might be a welcome addition, and if you toast it you don't notice as much (let's say better art direction would be analogous to toasting), but the fact is I'm not starving and semi-stale bread, toasted or not is hardly something I want to spend time considering for lunch.

Lost Odyssey by far seems more like a good roasted chicken leg, and while there may be a bone or two in there that I'm forced to contend with, I'm not all that concerned considering the quality of the game. Mind you that's sort of unfair of me because the game isn't actually out yet, so let's go with a more stable example: Mass Effect.

While not a JRPG, it's an RPG and a very well polished one. The self-fellating haters can go on about this nitpick or that, but in the end you're left with a game that's comparable to a bloody sirloin steak. Or... well steamed vegetables if you're a bloody nutter vegan, I suppose (I don't eat red meat so that's mildly hypocritical of me, but you get the point).

The fact is I'm not going to go and snag myself a piece of semi-stale bread just because it's cheap when I can go out and have a perfectly good sirloin steak for just a few bucks more. And even if it wasn't sirloin steak and instead just a well-roasted chicken leg with mash and corn on the side, it's still a leap more delicious than the other option lower down on the rungs.

But back to Lost Odyssey.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 04:00:12 AM »

Blue Dragon wasn't amazing, but it did have its moments. These days, I find that I'm more annoyed by shit that RPGs have then what they don't have. BD was one of those few that wasn't superb, simply because it didn't have enough: stale plot, uninspiring dungeons, basic battle system, etc. But at least it left enough room that the few gems in there, you could really enjoy. There were a few cut scenes that were really powerful, and overall, I liked the system, even though the battles were kind bland.

I dunno, there might not be a lot to love about BD, but I see it as a game that would be pretty hard to "hate". It's even kind of refreshing to see an underachieving game for a change... rather than all these convoluted pieces of crap, which is my only concern with Lost Odyssey.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »

Blue Dragon being so oldschool is why I want to play it. I don't have an Xbox yet but will soon so I can play this game.

I've read that it's similar to DQ in it's old schoolness, and I love DQ. DQ8 was great because it was basically an RPG from the 90's with modern graphics.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »

Blue Dragon is an awesome old school RPG.  Fantastic visuals, excellent music, a fun job system, and engaging gameplay (on the harder modes; on easy, everything is so easy that you don't have to think).  It's basically a cross between Dragon Quest 8 and Final Fantasy 5 with high definition graphics.  However, I can definitely see why people would hate it; that style of RPG is no longer that popular outside of Japan.

Anyway, on topic, Lost Odyssey looks like a fantastic Final Fantasy-esque RPG and aside from the load times which I hear can be rather long, it's been getting very positive reviews.  I'm really looking forward to playing it.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 06:43:05 PM »

Lately I've been lamenting over the lack of Jrpgs on the 360 because I bought one recently and haven't been enjoying it as much as I was hoping to.  Between this and the news about Tales of Vesperia being 360, I've become happier about it.

Barring anything rash, like a 75% or less review from the 'Fan, it looks like i'll probably pick it up.

edit:  Blue dragon is now 25ish bucks from amazon/ebay sources.  Without telling me to read a review elsewhere, is it worth picking it up for that amount? =P

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 07:26:51 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
One of them likened it to basically Shadow Hearts 4

Oh crap, now I've gotta buy an Xbox 360, me being the resident SH series fanboy. :(  But seriously, I've been anticipating this game in particular for quite some time now simply for the fact the general feeling I get from the game's story (which I've read from early appraisals is in fact very good) reminds me of the same general premise in Planescape: Torment - a damn good thing considering PS:T remains my absolute favorite storyline, all said and done. It's nice to see that my concern about the game, given a number of opinions on BD, was unwarranted.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Sapphire_Fate

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »

You'd be the resident SH series fanboy if I wasn't around. :P

Bebpo revealing all of the SH inclusions in LO makes me want it more... however, if anything, the fact that it's more relatable to Covenant rather than the first game (which was vastly superior) makes me sad.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 08:57:58 PM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
Barring anything rash, like a 75% or less review from the 'Fan, it looks like i'll probably pick it up.

75% is not a... Wait, for some editors it really is bad. Nevermind! You'd still have to read the review to find out why it earned that though. Also, I said BD was worth $30 in the first post, so it's just more worth it at $25.

Mark: I'd use oatmeal instead of stale bread, but that's being pendantic about food analogies and unless those tough bonus bosses seriously require good strategy/planning it's certainly not as 'nutritious'. Nevertheless looking at the impressions there I'm not really convinced that LO's going to be that much better. The main storyline was a huge disappointment for the two guys reviewing (but not for some of the other posters), and while it's more important a game be fun it is a letdown an awesome premise may not have been followed up on as well as it could have been. Also, the level cap per dungeon plus no way to disable encounters seems pretty lame to me. I think if you had the two together (WA4 did the latter) it could be potentially awesome since they can design the difficulty around how strong you would be, yet not waste any more of your time when the fights are pointless. Then again if you can still gain skill points or whatever I guess there's some advantage to fighting.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2008, 01:54:16 AM »

I should note that I actually highly doubt the opinion of any reviewer these days, period. Charting the game's reactions over a large sample is simply that much more intuitive, so I'll wait until there's a larger reaction.
Sebastian

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2008, 04:40:41 PM »

I've already pre-ordered my copy. I think it'll definitely be better than Blue Dragon since it's more appealing to a Western audience for a JRPG. However, I don't see it as becoming a franchise like BD will. My only concern so far is how linear some of the level designs seem.
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 04:45:55 AM »

THis game is out here in australia, just wondering if anyone has played it yet? what are your impressions?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: