Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:28:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338135 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lost Odyssey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Lost Odyssey  (Read 39524 times)
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 09:06:51 AM »

I think youíre talking about the Japanese version of the game, which has been picked up by a few Game Trader stores (because itís region free and in English). The official Australian release wonít be until later this month.

Iím somewhat interested by this, Iíll probably wait until I can get a copy of this for cheap before I pick it up though.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 06:19:49 PM »

EB just rang me,  lost odyssey is in! im gonna grab a copy.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 04:06:57 AM »

Ah, seems I was wrong. Looks like it got released earlier than expected.

I'll probably still import it though, since I can get it cheaper that way. It really doesn't look like it's worth $100 AUS.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
concrete donkey

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:30 PM »

im interested in reading some reviews for it. its a pretty good game.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »

The first reviews are up.

IGN Australia review - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849907p1.html - Said the game is very similar to the Final Fantasy series, perhaps too similar.  Graphics are incredible, but have some minor problems like screen tearing and dropped frame rates.  Long and difficult.

Regular IGN review - http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/849/849927p1.html - Said it's a fantastic traditional JRPG.  Main plot is a little weak, but character development and side stories are top knotch.  The core gameplay of combat, character development, and item crafting is excellent, but some of the peripheral gameplay elements can be annoying (like some stealth sections).  Load times are long.

Both reviews gave it 8.2/10.  Since both reviews were harsh on JRPGs in general (a dying genre that needs new life is the impression I got from the reviews), I would expect the game to score much better on sites that have more of a JRPG fan base like this one.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 05:32:49 PM »

Wow, what a colossoly western-biased review that totally misses the point of jRPGs. Haven't peopled realized that main storylines, even in the best of games, are cliche, and that it *IS* the characters and side-stories that make the difference? Mass Effect's plot was the most bear-bones you could get, for instance. So was Fable's, so I've heard.

Also, I hate it how many people seem to act like turn-based systems are a mistake, or are due to low-budget engines. The comment about "right out of 1998" was absurred. People make turn-based systems because PEOPLE LIKE PLAYING TURN BASED GAMES, IDIOT! It'a not a mistake, it's not due to lazy programming, it's not due to archaic code, it's because many people are trying to get away from action-oriented gaming. I mean, come on, action-oriented gameplay has been around LONGER than turn-based gameplay, so what are they calling "archaic?"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »

I hear the 2D fighter was supposed to die sometime back in 1999. And 2000. And 2001... etc etc.

Why I'm bringing that up at all is because every time someone declares something "archaic" or "dying" in this industry, they've been proven hideously wrong. Even so-called "dead" Adventure Games have come back.

Beyond that, both reviews read like "I'm a spoiled brat so I'll bitch about anything I can". Wah wah wah.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 06:20:33 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
Beyond that, both reviews read like "I'm a spoiled brat so I'll bitch about anything I can". Wah wah wah.

More like:

"USA rocks, Japan is silly and kiddy.

Lost Odyssey: 0
Mass Effect: 1

*I win!*"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 07:25:20 PM »

Since when was 8.2 a bad score?  You guys act like they just took your candy and threw it on the ground.  Calm down guys, it's just a review.  Clearly their opinions are not going to sway you from playing the game.

Those reviews seem to summarize everything I've heard about the game:
Traditional jRPG.  Great backstory, main plot is weak.  Some sidequests suck and the load times get annoying (for some people).  I'll still give it a shot.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 07:29:50 PM »

What Masamune said, why the fuck are you two being such overly defensive, whiny bitches? I haven't gone through the AU review fully, but the US one only has a dumb statement at the beginning (the ESRB only rates games!) and a few questionable comments that can and have been blown out of proportion. The part of the game attacked the most aside from technical issues were the 'hey guys time for the arbitrary attempts to mix up the gameplay!' moments, saying the game would've been better if it simply played to its strength of being a traditional RPG, while stuff like the story was handled perfectly fine. It pointed out the main storyline was weak, but the characters and their personal stories (notably Kaim) were pretty great. As for the comments about action RPG fans, they are taking into consideration what most of the RPGs on the console are and the fact the fans of Fable may not be as interested in something like LO.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 11:18:37 PM »

MUST ... WHINE ... ABOUT ... REVIEWS ...

NAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAA
AAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
[/size]

edit: horizontal scrolling on my browser = phail. - Ramza

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 11:32:25 PM »

For comedic effect!

Hidoshi on gamer overreactions.

Hidoshi's complaints on Blue Dragon form earlier in this thread ... sound familiar?

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 11:54:53 PM »

Eat a dick Ashton. :P
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 11:55:08 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"

laaaaaaaaaaaaaame arguments Ash.

1. Hidoshi isn't over-reacting. the 8.2/10 isn't the issue. The issue is that the reviewers who wrote this shit are ignorant and/or incompetent. It's not like the 'doshi is some extremist in favor of all things Lost Odyssey related.

2. Blue Dragon was an inferior game. Lost Odyssey is less childish than Blue Dragon, and Lost Odyssey is generally a more enjoyable game. So uh...

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2008, 11:58:36 PM »

Hey guys, GameSpy went and gave it a 2.5/5! If those IGN reviews were enough to raise INTERNET FURY, then I'm heading to the bomb shelter now.

Edit: Something else to keep in mind guys: I'm willing to bet that you have not played the game yet. Complaints or stances that may seem to be ridiculous could make a lot of sense when playing it, and JRPGs really have been kinda stagnant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: