Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 04:08:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329348 Posts in 13491 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lost Odyssey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Print
Author Topic: Lost Odyssey  (Read 38955 times)
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2008, 06:55:39 AM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Quote from: "Professor Gast"
For reference, the PlayStation 3's installed hardware in all major European markets except the UK is already bigger than that of the 360. The total worldwide installed base of PlayStation 3 is close to 11 million units by now.

Not exactly: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6179642.html

The close to 11 million PS3s is units shipped to retailers, not units sold to customers.

It's what I said it is, installed base. I'm not so stupid, that I couldn't tell the differences between sales and shipments. The 11 million units was the initial target for the current fiscal year (read April 1st 2007 through March 31st 2008). It has since been lowered to 9.5 million units. Besides, SCE has switched from shipment to actual sales figures in reporting sales figures already some time ago. You can calculate for yourself or just use this website for further reference.
http://www.vgchartz.com/
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: March 15, 2008, 02:05:47 PM »

VGChartz is a notoriously unreliable website for console sales.  The problem with VGChartz is that unlike something like NPD (which is a professional market research firm that companies spend a lot of money to get reports from), VGChartz is just a fan-run website.  A lot of the "sales" data reported on VGChartz is just speculation and is often widely differnt from the actual sales figures.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: March 15, 2008, 02:47:33 PM »

Yeah, VGChartz isn't something I'd use to measure console sales.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 15, 2008, 05:10:50 PM »

Gotta agree with the VGChartz comments.  I've been checking their "data" for a year now and they are often "off" on their sales data.  When the NPD data comes out, VGChartz often compares their data with the official NPD data and you can see that they sometimes overshoot or undershoot in their predictions.  To be honest, I think anybody with a good knowledge of the industry could make the same kind of predictions that VGChartz make.  Most of the time it's pretty easy to figure out the sales data by looking at previous months and taking into account whether a high-profile game gets released or not for the system as well as any changes in prices, etc...

But anyway, the reason I wanted to comment here is that we'll soon have 2 more reviews of Lost Odyssey on RPGFan so I wanted to warn you guys since you all seem to love discussing the original review Damian did.  Can't wait to see the discussions after the other 2 reviews :).
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: March 15, 2008, 10:49:50 PM »

game over...

i hate ending good JRPGs. The story and especially the characters were better than most JRPGs...

Code:
Seth was my fave character... :(

for such good characterisation and story, the ending CG movie was kinda weak imo... unlike FFVIII, IX and X...

68 hours... everything completed, learnt, all secret bosses beat, i think everything... well, except the immortals learning every skill (too tedious)

also, i pressed start when the credits were rolling... is there another movie after the credits?
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2008, 11:58:07 PM »

With PlayStation 3 sales they aren't that far off the mark. According to official figures installed base stood at 8.5 million units by December 31st. In the two months since then, close to 600,000 units were sold in the US, 300,000 in Japan and a figure higher than the US figure in Europe (given how PS3 has always been more popular in Europe than in the States). So you are at around ten million units.
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: April 07, 2008, 07:35:53 PM »

new download content!!!

for 400 points:
new dungeon (深淵の探求者: Pursuer of the Abyss)
and accessory (氷久魔術機関? : Eternal Magic Engine?) <-- can't properly read the kanji in screenshot, can someone confirm?

SP 999 !!!

its on the Japanese Marketplace, so hopefully this works with the english game (like the pre-order bonus)

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1214549_1124.html?ref=rss
newgameplus

vanishdelliott
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: April 07, 2008, 08:15:13 PM »

I don't understand what you'll do with that new item after completing the dungeon. Lost Odyssey isn't a perpetual world like WoW. It seems like it's this short, momentary burst of "yay" that will fizzle out quickly.

Vanish/Doom - An RPG News Blog
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 07, 2008, 08:34:18 PM »

More interested in finding out when the second DLC hits us.
newgameplus

vanishdelliott
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: April 07, 2008, 08:36:48 PM »

I'm late to the party, so I won't go into detail... but this game's story blew.

Still, I'm surprised at how well its sales have done. At the very least, perhaps it can pave the way for future JRPG ventures on the 360.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: April 07, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »

Well, the story was very simple, but thankfully, the writing was incredible, and so were the characters, so I don't care.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: April 07, 2008, 08:59:01 PM »

yes, the main story blew - but what i guess what ppl like was the characterisation of the main character via the short stories - it kinda built a past, that most JRPG main characters lack
and only the writing in the short stories were good, the game's story was kinda typical Sakaguchi style dialogue... -_-"

and you automatically get the new item, so you can use it in the dungeon or any other place before the final are, i guess
and in the new game plus...
newgameplus

vanishdelliott
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: April 07, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »

I guess. While it was a...very, very sold Role Playing Game experience, it's not something I see myself investing more time in.

And while the Dream Vignettes were fantastic, they focused solely on Kaim. As terrifically as they portrayed him, he can only be judged by his on-screen characterization which was abysmal. All of them, except Jansen, were terrible -- terrible voice acting and terrible dialogue. Just a lot of "Classic Sakaguchi" crammed into the same room.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: April 07, 2008, 09:20:25 PM »

Quote from: "calintz"
and only the writing in the short stories were good, the game's story was kinda typical Sakaguchi style dialogue... -_-"

No, I didn't say that. I said the writing was great...as a whole... not just the writing in the short segments. A lot of the character dialog was head and shoulders above most anything we see these days. Jansen's dialog, in particular, was especially good. In fact, Kaim's was probably the weakest, being fairly typical. I liked Mack & Cooke's characterization, and what they said felt more realistic to children of their age then what I usually see. Seth and Cid... I mean, Sed... had some wonderful stuff too.

I just thought, overall, the writing in LO was superb. Sure, the dreams were a highlight, but the whole thing was completely incredible.

Probably the pacing was the only real problem with the game, overall.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
newgameplus

vanishdelliott
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: April 07, 2008, 09:24:36 PM »

Bad Guy: I came to this world and I have power and now I want more power to rule!

Yeah, Grade-A stuff there ;)

To each their own, though. I don't think Lost Odyssey's in-game writing/narrative/dialogue would have passed for good back in 1993.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: