Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 06:22:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338004 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lost Odyssey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Lost Odyssey  (Read 39516 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2008, 06:02:19 AM »

This is the best Final Fantasy since FF9, hands down.

I'm just speechless that critics have panned it as much as they have. It has probably the shortest load times of any RPG I've played on the PS2 or 360, and has some of the best writing I've seen in a video game (Jansen's dialog, in particular, is an absolute gas). And every character has their own really unique personality in a way I don't often see in games.

I can't even really see the glitchiness... not in the way that Mass Effect's was. This flows more like Blue Dragon's graphics (they made similar use of depth-of-field, for instance). I'm not seeing the texture pop problem I did with ME.

Seriously, will someone tell me what the critics were talking about with load time issues? SuikoV had load times, DQ8 had load time issues, hell, almost all games on the PS2 did... this is a dream in comparison. Even FF12 suffered from more than this (and FF12 was really efficient).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2008, 01:01:37 AM »

/sigh

Still waiting for my copy. Preordered it from GameStop and the fedex plane got grounded in TN the day before launch, so I figure, no sweat, i'll get it the next day.... then the next...

Its been almost a week since release and only one of our local retailors got it in short supply (which sold out instantly). I think i've read the strat guide through at least 3 times already. Those of you who are enjoying it, consider yourself lucky, its practically nonexistant in this college town.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
This is the best Final Fantasy since FF9, hands down.
Seriously, will someone tell me what the critics were talking about with load time issues? SuikoV had load times, DQ8 had load time issues, hell, almost all games on the PS2 did... this is a dream in comparison. Even FF12 suffered from more than this (and FF12 was really efficient).

I'm not sure what version of the game you're playing, but the load times are an issue.  As far as towns and everything else goes, the loading is fine.  But the loading in battles gets a little annoying.  I always see SuikoV mentioned, but LO is much worse then all of the titles you mentioned.  It takes atleast 10 seconds from loading the battle to being able to input commands.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game.  It's pretty damn good, and I agree it's basically just another FF game.  How far in are you?  I'm about 18 hours in, on the second disc.  The only thing stopping me from absolutely loving this game is the amount of time it takes to fight battles.  Every battle consists of loading the battle, showing 2 seperate views of the environment you're fighting in, loading your party and then turning the camera so you finally get a glimpse of the enemy you're about to fight.  Maybe you should time it, because it takes atleast 10 seconds for me everytime, if not longer.

This isn't a big issue itself, but when you combine it with the fact that it always takes 100 exp to level and you immediately receive 2 exp per battle once you reach the level cap for that dungeon, battles start to get old fast.  The only reason I have left to fight every battle is to get SP for my equipment, ala FF9.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2008, 02:58:40 PM »

Weird, I've never seen load times that long, usually, the battle screen comes up almost instantly, and everyone's ready to fight within 5 seconds, which was a lot faster than most RPGs. My 360 is a little newer, I wonder if different 360s have different wait times. SuikoV didn't have long battle load times, it was area loading, and re-loading the area after the battle (which was idiotic), so we're talking about different things. But the battles don't bother me in the slightest. It's not nearly as bad as, say FF9, but even then I was able to cope.

I would say the loading times are only slightly longer than Blue Dragon, but pretty close. I'm only about 10 hours in, but I haven't noticed that big of a difference from BD.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2008, 05:44:17 PM »

Ehh, I don't think it has anything to do with the 360 version. The 360 I have is a launch 360 and it has been loading this game fine. In fact, my 360 hasn't really had that many problems in the past. Guess I was lucky.

I understand the comparison to the FF series, but I feel a lot more emotion poured into this game than I have ever felt from an FF game. And that, for me, sets it apart. I like FF games, but the series has never been one that I can truly be engrossed in.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2008, 04:37:40 PM »

This game has taken my interest. I actually have no idea if it's been/is being released here though, I'll have to look into that.

I'd be interested to know how long the game is. Masamune, you say you're on the second disc with 18 hours on the clock? That makes it sound quite short to me. That's a good thing, I really haven't got the time for a long game at the moment.

It might be a toss-up between this and Mass Effect. Roundabouts how long is Mass Effect?

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2008, 06:38:36 PM »

length-wise, I think games have become a bit TOO long for their own good. I mean, I clocked FF12 at around 120 hours, and it felt like it had about the same amount of actual content as FF9, which I beat at like 55 hours. Sometimes, games just get a little much for their own good, they don't really have any more content, they're just loser and less concise, and they start to drag on. So I'm glad games are starting to move back towards the 50 hour mark instead of the 100 hour mark, because usually if it's a 100 hour game, about 1/2 of that is artificial lengthening.

Mass Effect is probably around 30-40 hours, tops. I've heard that Lost Odyssey clocks in at around 40-50 hours, so they're along the same lines... however, I find that ME has a lot of artificial lengthening, and LO has a lot more content, but that might just be my opinion.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
This game has taken my interest. I actually have no idea if it's been/is being released here though, I'll have to look into that.

I'd be interested to know how long the game is. Masamune, you say you're on the second disc with 18 hours on the clock? That makes it sound quite short to me. That's a good thing, I really haven't got the time for a long game at the moment.

It might be a toss-up between this and Mass Effect. Roundabouts how long is Mass Effect?

I'm on the 3rd disc now, I believe with about 24 hours.  I also stopped and grinded some to learn more abilities, since you can't really over level.  I'd say LO and Mass Effect are both about the same length long, depending on how many side quests you wanna do.  Mass Effect has more of a reason to play it again, but Lost Odyssey also has new game+.

Edit:  Also, I'm not positive but I've read that you can buy almost any items you miss in an auction house near the end of the game.  This would make LO a great game for casual players who don't want to miss out on the side stuff.

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2008, 07:51:25 AM »

Quote from: "Degolas"

It's out next Friday.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2008, 05:58:25 PM »

Ha ha, visiting my local Game, I saw that Lost Odyssey was not yet out, so I bought Mass Effect instead :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
alonso

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2008, 06:59:15 PM »

i just started LO but man i loved it already 8h of playing and i am totaly in to it. The only thing that scared me a little, was the difficulty of the bossfights in the beginning, never died 3 times on the first real boss xD, but after you get into the ring stuff its just an amazing game

Recently finished: Rogue Galaxy, Grandia 2, Mass Effect

Currently playing: LO, BD, P3, FF7CC
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »

I just started as well and I also think it's great.  The boss fights are nuts though, I agree.  The first boss kicked my ass 5 times before I figured out a good strategy.  The music and voice acting are really great as well as the story.  The dream stories are a nice touch to flesh out Kaim's character but I can see how some might get antsy with that much reading. I don't mind it though.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2008, 10:23:20 PM »

I had trouble with the earlier boss fights too... but starting at around the end of the first disc, the boss fights start becoming a lot easier... maybe it'll only be temporary, but I think the game is starting to losen up a little. There's a distinct lack of fighters in the game (currently, there's only two real fighters, and then four mages). This is kinda strange, and a little irritating (fights take a bit longer than usual), hopefully I'll get some mortals that can kick ass soon. Other than that, the cut scenes are, frankly, the best I've ever seen in a game. The dialog is incredible, and I even find myself captivated by the dream sequences. I'm not reading any books right now, but this game deffinitely takes the place of both passtimes.

This could be one of the greatest RPGs ever made, folks... I still don't understand why critics keep panning it. Sure, there are some load time issues (not really very noticable to me), but aside from that, the game is pretty close to perfect.

It's like FFX, but with good writing, and much better music.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »

This could be one of the greatest RPGs ever made, folks... I still don't understand why critics keep panning it. Sure, there are some load time issues (not really very noticable to me), but aside from that, the game is pretty close to perfect.

Please, for the love of god play more before you say this.  I'm about halfway through the 3rd disc and although the writing may be good, the plot is just as Final Fantasy as the rest.  This game won't go down as one of the best RPG's ever made, since it doesn't really do anything new.  It's just traditional turn based on next-gen, calm down. :P

Also, incase you hadn't noticed, it's like -every- FF.  You can draw easy similarities to literally any FF.  It's made by the people who made FF, the music is done by the guy who does FF, it IS FF.

Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2008, 10:58:29 PM »

That's pretty much dead-on. So many aspects of its play mechancis and general structure remind me of FFX, but LO's storytelling, overall writing, character interactions, cutscene direction, etc are light-years beyond anything seen in that game! To me, it feels like the game that FFVII, VIII, and X tried, and failed, to be.

As far as gameplay goes, I'm really enjoying how strategic the game can be. The fact that there is a level cap is something I'm very thankful for, as it prevents the game from falling into the typical FF-style trap of senseless grinding. This game is one of very few non-MegaTen RPGs in which I'm finding the exploitation of elemental weaknesses to actually be pretty vital to success. Perhaps not quite as much as Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne, but certainly far more than the average RPG.

I feel that the game deserves special mention for its insanely high degree of environmental interactivity. The environments themselves are on the small side, but it seems as though there are items tucked into literally everything! Behind posters, in jars, inside shipping crates, inside forest crystals, etc, etc. You have to keep an eye out for everything, and basically just jam on the examine button constantly! XD And to top it off, the game rarely reuses anything. You always have to keep your eyes peeled for NEW things to interact with on an area-to-area basis!

Also, the Thousand Year Dreams are some of the most powerfully written and emotionally potent narratives the medium has ever produced.

I'm 24 hours in, currently on Disc 1.
Code:
I'm in the Crimson Forest searching for Mack. The stuff with Liriam was AMAZING.

Anyway, I'm quite enjoying the game. It's far too early to tell if the game will distinguish itself enough to make it onto my list of favorites, but I think I can safely say that it wasn't a wasted investment.

"Time fades even legend..."
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: