Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 01:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335237 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Lost Odyssey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Print
Author Topic: Lost Odyssey  (Read 39402 times)
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »

Has anyone brought up the expressions on the characters faces? When I first started it I thought I was seeing things in the characters faces that wasn't really there but buy the end of disk 1 I was soundly impressed. Some of the expressions are just dead on. In fact I kind of think they should have toned down some to the exaggerated movements  and gestures and focused a bit more on letting the characters faces and subtle movements bring the point across instead.
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2008, 04:27:12 PM »

^ Yeah, the amount of effort that they put into the facial animations is greatly appreciated! I have to maintain that Jansen has the funniest expressions in the history of everything. :P On a more serious note, I think the best use of just how subtle and detailed the expressions can go is (disc 1 spoilers)
Code:
at the end of disc one, all of it. The reunion with Lirum, her death, her funeral, and then the miracle. The incredible amount of effort that went into making the character expressions convey emotion in those scenes really helped them to hit home.

@Prime: Dear god, how could I forget "The Upstreamers"? That was really amazing. Really, it's easy to omit certain stories simply because they've all been so brilliant and touching. Some are epic, some are tragic, some are deeply personal, and some deal with incredibly small, everyday events but are nonetheless emotionally potent... the range that the Dreams cover is incredible.
Code:
"Seth's Dream Part 1" was also quite the surprise. It was nice to see an important event in the life of another immortal. As the "Part 1" would indicate, I'm looking forward to whatever future Dreams I can find of her's.

"Time fades even legend..."
Andrmgic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2008, 09:06:29 PM »

I have to say that I really agree about the scene Alucard mentioned first.

Code:
I was really surprised that they pulled off a death scene that wasn't comical or too extreme. I felt genuine sadness, and the tears streaming down the character faces and glistening on their skin was an excellent touch.

I even enjoyed the funeral mini-game. I read a lot of complaints about it, but I don't understand why people were bitching. It seemed like a perfectly reasonable custom for a burial and even if Lirum wasn't important to us as players (since we had just met her), it brought home the fact that she was important to Kaim, Cooke and Mack. It always annoyed me when characters lost someone and were kind of like "Well, that's over... lets move forward and kick ass"
calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2008, 11:01:53 PM »

i'm in agreement with what all of you have said...

this game has succeeded in making the cliched topics of JRPGs work - human emotions are portrayed so well

Code:
tho, the funeral scene did do a funeral justice in a game - i really think they should have fixed up the "robotic" animations.

also, lighting that torch took me awhile to figure out :p

ok - i know i will get alot of disagreement - but i thought the acting, voice acting and genuinely "real" character animation was done a whole lot better in FFXII - but that's the only qualm i have with this game. Sure the CG parts have good animations, but the running motion of Kaim is weird...

it's everything I wanted: PSX FF styled game, with a hint of FFX and the whole thing wrapped up in the Unreal engine...
it compliments games like FFXII which are "trying" to move forward the genre, as LO is genuinely old school

*love*
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: February 29, 2008, 06:34:49 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
I'm still not so sure why people around here go on and on about something like Persona 3, but are relitively silent about a game of this caliber.

Maybe because more people here have access to a PS2 than a 360.

For someone who fancies himself an intellectual, you have a loose grip on basic logic.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: February 29, 2008, 12:01:36 PM »

I'm not crazy active on this forum, especially for a game I don't even own, but according to Joystiq's Rumor's, a sequel is on the way.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2008, 02:23:10 AM »

That isn't really a rumor. I've seen information about LO having two installments for a while now.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2008, 11:13:42 AM »

I just bought this game last night and aside from a manufacturing error that had me wasting an hour to get a replacement (the first game only had Disk 4 in it), it's been fantastic.  The Dreams are even better than I had expected, the gameplay has been fun (has a very pleasant FF6-10 feel to it), the graphics have been phenomenal (minor visual glitches aside) and the story has been intriguing.  Loading times haven't been too bad either.

everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »

I just got home with my copy, prepared to play as soon as I have my 360 back.

I think it's very stupid how the discs were packaged. My disc one fell out as soon as I opened the case to reveal at least a half dozen scratches. Terrible packaging. I hope it works.

[/url]
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2008, 07:11:56 PM »

Been playing mine, only a few hours in but its been great.  I agree with the packaging, though disc one did fall out when I opened it, it was not scratched, so thats good.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2008, 09:43:26 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
Quote from: "Prime Mover"
I'm still not so sure why people around here go on and on about something like Persona 3, but are relitively silent about a game of this caliber.

Maybe because more people here have access to a PS2 than a 360.

For someone who fancies himself an intellectual, you have a loose grip on basic logic.

I for one don't have a 360, though I'll probably get one just for LO, likely after the preorder bonus becomes available for download.  With the awesome RPG library of the original Xbox I haven't exactly been ready to jump on a 360...or really any next gen system.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2008, 09:50:43 PM »

You can download the pre-order bonus from other territories unless it's been locked, though I'm not sure it will work on the American version.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2008, 02:08:41 PM »

What is the pre-order bonus? I preordered mine, but the disks never came.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2008, 04:38:52 PM »

The pre-order bonus is a card with a code to input onto Xbox Live Marketplace.  Once you redeem it you automatically get an accessory and a dream.  The dream is number 31 I believe and it's called Samii the Storyteller.  The accessory you get enables you to learn Weapon Guard 2.  I've had the accessory since the start of the game, and it costs 100 SP to learn the skill.  Weapon Guard makes you block an enemy attack very frequently and makes the attack do 0 dmg.  Pretty damn good.  I would imagine you need both of these things in order to get the 2 achievements related to dreams and skills.

calintz

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2008, 07:18:23 PM »

i thought both bonuses had no effect on achievements?
abit unfair to those that didn't get these...

in anycase, I got mine off the Japanese marketplace - there's also another item/dream available for purchase - but I don't want to spend for these type of things -_-"
oh, and yes, these downloads work on any version of LO...

Weapon Guard 2 - abit disappointed, as it costs 100SP, yet it doesn't block as frequent as it should :(
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: