Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 04:28:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329976 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New FFXIII & Versus Scans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: New FFXIII & Versus Scans  (Read 32208 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 11:53:02 PM »

I'd ordinarily agree to disagree and take it as read that I was being a hypocrite, but the fact is I'm not. Your original statement was basically PS3 fanboy hyperbole, advertising the idea that the PS3 is somehow superior to other systems through "logic". That's really what I'm taking issue with. There's no particular logic in place. If you'd said "I like the PS3 and its games" and been done with it, I probably wouldn't be out to spank you like a jockey on his horse, but the fact is you didn't.

Slavish advertising is a generally bad practise of fanboys (and fangirls), mostly because they don't realise they're doing it. I'n admittedly a Nintendo fanboy but I can't really root for the Wii overall merely because it's sort of dry where third parties are concerned. But it does have more for it going right now than the PS3, and so logically it follows the logical path of logic wherein we find that the Wii > PS3.

And before you call me a Sony-hating fanboy let me be clear: I have nothing against the PSP. It's about the only thing Sony's doing right and good on it. While I don't own one and I stand by my DS (it is after all a bloody good system), the PSP has become the shining hope for profit where Sony is concerned. It's got a good library, a good re-release, and as long as you avoid that Darth Vader-emblazoned tripe, you couldn't spend your money better elsewhere at this point.

If you're into Tekken (I'm not, I despise the series), fine. Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid I can respect. I'm not much of a Rachet and Clank, or Daxter fan but that's your own lookout, and I understand these games are something good. But by and large the actual ratio of quality games to piles of steaming shit are rather high on the PS3 versus its competition. Not to mention the 360 has two of the best titles you could put your grubby little hands on, namely Bioshock and Mass Erect--err, Mass Effect, as well as the multi-platform Assassin's Creed and Pc-friendly Orange Box, etc etc etc, ad nauseam.

I can't fault you for liking a system. That isn't the issue here. It's the way you went about it. You were a fanboy and it's time you admit it, because I'm afraid reversals don't really work when you're in the position you happen to be. Then we can put this thing to bed.

(And really, we should probably take this bickering about consoles into another thread or private messages if only so Lard doesn't have a brain aneurism.)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 01:15:07 AM »

Quote from: "PKProductions"
no no you have to send it back to the manufacturer and have them fix it, that is unacceptable sorry. Defend 360 about that all you want, but I still call BS.

They send you a box to ship it back though, ergo you don't need to worry about the hassle or costs there. The only problems are the long wait to get it back, and that they send you a whole new system so you need to be refunded the points for purchases in order to play them offline. Hell, it can be a blessing in disguise in that you could get a system with HDMI when you didn't have it with your launch unit. Anyways I've had both my PS1 and PS2 fail on me, but as frustrating as that was (repaired PS2 dying right when I got FFXII FUCK), it took a few years and I think in the end it was worth getting the consoles despite needing to replace them.

But really, my big beef was just that you saw one reply about how someone didn't have the PS3, then you go trying to sell it by showing how the X360 is a bad, 'illogical' choice. I don't really have that negative of an opinion of the PS3 (what Sony's doing to it on the other hand...), it's finally getting a good library so if you're more interested in R&C/Uncharted and don't care as much about stuff like Bioshock and Mass Effect, and don't have any friends with an X360 and XBL to play online with but have plenty on the PS3 for whatever, then it's a great choice to make now, and logic only really comes into play in that it's wisest to get a 20/60 gig one now if you want BC and upscaling, which is pretty damn important to me.

Also some random things to nitpick:

I will wait to play the new original games after I have fun with the series I have loved for years.

There's sequels all the time, new original games need more attention. This isn't really console specific, it applies just as much to Uncharted and Folklore as it does for Bioshock and Mass Effect.

But by and large the actual ratio of quality games to piles of steaming shit are rather high on the PS3 versus its competition.

Honestly, while the X360 might be better off/equal it's actually the Wii that has the worst ratio. PS3's simply getting ports/multiplatform releases of X360 titles like the PS1 and 2 had with their competition. The Wii is getting sloppy ports of PS2 games with waggle forced in when it really doesn't help anything, sometimes being ridiculously overpriced for what you get, plus since Nintendo doesn't have concept approval a lot of crap that wouldn't fly on the other consoles comes out. But really, you don't have to play the shit that comes out unless you're reviewing for a major site or publication, so it's the number and quality of good games that matters here and the Wii... Might be equal to the PS3. Ok, I'd say SMG is the tiebreaker that puts the Wii above, but otherwise the PS3's on about equal footing.

Edit: Also, since this isn't really FFXIII related I'll just add it to this post: Masamune's right, competition is great.
ValendianKnight

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 01:16:15 AM »

So those scans sure look great....

"Life Ends so fast, so take your chance and make it last..."
-Chuck Schuldiner(Death)
D'yer Mak'er

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 01:44:24 AM »

Yeah, they do. Final Fantasy XIII certainly looks good, but I'm just not digging the whole "Fabula Nova Crystallis" project. Maybe it's just Square's business style that I don't like...I'm not sure. I mean, with FNC, it seems like they're milking a game that doesn't even exist yet.

Maybe I'll change my mind if I get to play a demo or something, but it just seems like they're stretching to thin and putting all their eggs in one basket with this one.

"It's too bad she won't live....but then again, who does?"
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 03:00:57 AM »

Quote from: "D'yer Mak'er"
Yeah, they do. Final Fantasy XIII certainly looks good, but I'm just not digging the whole "Fabula Nova Crystallis" project. Maybe it's just Square's business style that I don't like...I'm not sure. I mean, with FNC, it seems like they're milking a game that doesn't even exist yet.

Maybe I'll change my mind if I get to play a demo or something, but it just seems like they're stretching to thin and putting all their eggs in one basket with this one.

How do you mean?
I'm still actually more interested in Versus, just for the fact I'm hoping the story will be a bit darker.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 04:00:22 AM »

SE's recent plan has been to make multiple games around a single setting or main game, which is grating to me since I prefer that they mix it up with a bunch of random games, even if they're not necessarily going to be successful. Maybe a bit too risky on the current consoles, but certainly they could allot a smaller budget to more DS games, it's probably cheaper than developing a PS1 game or at least the same price since technology's advanced so much since then yet it's more or less on par with that, maybe a little better yet with less space.

I've ranted enough about that, so as far as FFXIII goes: I have, or perhaps had more hope since it was being made from the ground up with that in mind. However, like I've mentioned before I was kinda put off by the FFvsXIII trailer (may as well link it so people can judge for themselves). FFXIII pushes it for the unrealistic and overly stylish action, but I vsXIII just went into a masturbatory extreme.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 04:29:49 AM »

Your point about Square's random games does make me nostalgic for the PS1 era. You're right. There's no reason they can't be more experimental on either handheld. Port some Japan only shit at least.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »

My major issue with the whole "FNC" thing is that it's going down the same route as the whole FF7 every-damned-spinoff-we-could-think-of package. Advent Children was fun, not good in terms of an actual narrative piece of cinema, but fun, and I can't fault it for that.

But then you had the bloody cellphone game no one cared about, the anime short that was utterly pointless seeing as we already knew everything that transpired within it (and the art direction was somewhere between ugly and Jesus hates you), etc etc etc. The only really tolerable thing that anyone can call "good" is Crisis Core, and really I'd actually be happier if everything else in the FF7 remake package went away.

Oversaturation can often turn a lot of people off to something, and while FF7 is good for the business model it might just have done some damage to the franchise overall. I could go and say it's hurt sales but then I'd be a filthy little liar, so I won't even try to prove that. No, what the whole FF7 package hurt was the way Square-Enix does games. It's not just the package's fault, this little fiasco began with FFX-2, but at least that was just one game and not available on every form of media including your mom.

I'm left looking at Fabulous Nosepicking Crystals as a sort of distant cousin to the FF7 package, not in content but in format. We have FFXIII, Versus, and that cellphone game no one's said shit about since it was released and we all stopped caring because our phones aren't from Japan. Final Fantasy has, until now, been rather devoid of sequels and it's worked well that way. I'm not trying to be a crotchety old fart and hold back progress, but damnit stick to the format.

The other issue I have is that Versus in particular smells distinctly of things we've already seen, particularly Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy VII. Mid-way through the trailer, our spikey-haired protagonist goes up against a bunch of faceless evil extras looking like they just left FFXII's imperial airship brigades and proceeds to go all "I'm Cloud with a dye job" on them.

The problem is that I've seen this before with another character, and not all that long ago. Granted the entire trailer is made by the people who did Kingdom Hearts and Advent Children and that's fine, but when it rings a bit too much of either I'm left wondering if these people are capable of anything beyond those two products.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm going to end up playing these games. I've always tried to give Final Fantasy and every other RPG series out there a fair chance throughout all its instalments, even when the results are about as high-quality and interesting as the ingredients list on a McDonald's hamburger (*cough*FinalFantasyX-2*cough*). All nitpicking aside I hope this game will be good, but the trailers have left me with a rather bad taste in my mouth.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »

I'll second the notion of Square Enix's direction of late seems to be kind of pretentious.  Its become too much of a formula with their games lately.  Big hair, weird colour, modern outfit, some stupid magic, a ridiculous weapon, and a story that becomes so cliche-d and tacked on that it becomes as ridiculous as other JRPGs.

Granted, Nomura (whos directing stuff nowadays) has a few interesting ideas, but I'm kinda missing the old stuff.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
PKProductions
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 02:46:46 PM »

I didnt read any of those long winded posts, and I officially dont care anymore as I have said all I want to say about that matter. Only other thing I want to add is that if you dont like the PS3 GTFO MY FFXIII THREAD! :P

Hidoshi

Built This House

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 02:54:33 PM »

Let me be succinct since you clearly don't have the grey matter capacity to work beyond a paragraph ending in caps lock:

1. It's not "your" thread. You're just A THREAD CONTRIBUTOR, you do not dictate content around here. But you might notice that I am on staff and set up the forums, and therefore do (unless D-Rider says otherwise).

2. Stop being a douchebag. People are allowed to disagree with you, especially on the matter of your faulty logic. But even beyond that, the last few posts have been about the issues with FFXIII. If you can't contribute by responding to them, you're free to go elsewhere.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 02:58:06 PM »

Quote from: "PKProductions"
I didnt read any of those long winded posts, and I officially dont care anymore as I have said all I want to say about that matter. Only other thing I want to add is that if you dont like the PS3 GTFO MY FFXIII THREAD! :P

Thank you for that great contribution.

Anyways, to keep this on topic (in your own thread much less, or so you claim) I can see why people don't like the idea of the FNC project.  But what we are comparing it to is not the same thing.  While FF7 has had a ton of spin-offs, none of those were planned from the start as far as I know.  Atleast with FNC they are planning a project where all the games from the start will revolve around one another.  I have a lot of faith that this could be a great thing, but at the same time we might just be getting more Dirge of Crisis vs Core type shit, which would not be cool.

Face it, we'd all LOVE for SE to start making original stuff again, or at the very least make more sequels for the good stuff like CT and CC, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, etc.  Looking at their track record though, SE is usually fairly content in working on the next big FF installment to get the hang of all the next-gen stuff.  Personally, I think their decision to remake and port games is a great idea, in a business sense.  They simply do not have enough experience among their programmers to start putting on new, original games on all 3 systems.  Give it another year and we'll probably start seeing some more original content, or at the very least something that isnt Final Fantasy.  Don't forget about Last Remnant either.

edit: Had to make a couple edits, I posted at a very bad time.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 02:58:12 PM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
You're just the thread starter

Christ you've fucked up, which just makes his post even more hilarious. Honestly as obnoxious as his post was he was just joking around then so it wasn't worth the effort to respond until you slipped up like that

Edit: Also to Masamune - as far as I know there were something like 3 games in the previous (PS2) generation after the Square/Enix merger, 2 of them early on in it and the third being from tri-Ace, and only 5 Square titles prior to said merger. That's where my beef is, if they had been doing this throughout the PS2 generation I'd just take Last Remnant that things are still fine, rather than the one unique thing to keep an eye on.

Edit 2: Did some minor changes and editted the bit about the game count after looking at their site again.

Edit 3: I'm not Hidoshi typing this and I most certainly did not mean to correct him or make him look dumb in any way, shape, or form. Really. My name is Eusis, and I'm an asshole.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2008, 03:22:24 PM »

Square might as well make a new series out of Fabula Nova Crystalis, seeing as how different it's going to be from anything previously Final Fantasy, even they're still going to be employing some familar motifs (e.g., the Summons) but how many different Square series have employed the same mascots in different series (e.g., Chocobos and Moogles in the first Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure).

After all, there ARE going to be fanboy cries of "THIS IS NOT FINAL FANTASY!!!" so why make them expect something they're not going to get?

I mean, what're they gonna do for Final Fantasy XX (20)? Make it exceedingly feminine? (Y'know, 'cuz women carry pairs of X chromosomes? Yeah).

And let's not forget about Final Fantasy XXX (30) SUPER PR0N EDITION!!

Are they just going for world's longest series ever, or what?
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2008, 03:34:24 PM »

Never going to purchase a hdtv? Just out of curiosity, why? Prices have been falling and will continue to fall.

I just bought a standard definition CRT television set August of 2006, and it works fine and it will probably continue working fine for years. Also, HDTVs are generally those flat things which I can't store plants on when I'm not using said TV (which is most of the time).

As for the trailer, the first note in the song sounded a lot like Unchained Melody. Then it turned out to not be unchained melody but some crappy Enka song. Then billy androgynous walks out and a bunch of guys in armor start shooting at him but he has a magic shield, because this is a final fantasy based on reality. And then she kills some guy with his thighs. Finally, it ends with him sitting pensively in her chair and leaning his head against her fist. Pensively.

Conclusion: Holy !@#$, FMV in a videogame? WHODATHUNK? I wonder what it plays like. Unless that was actually a gameplay sequence in which case this is the most amazing thing ever except I'm not really fond of that hyperrealistic art style.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: