Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 08:22:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332777 Posts in 13635 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New FFXIII & Versus Scans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: New FFXIII & Versus Scans  (Read 32305 times)
Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2008, 06:03:33 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
- This time summons are in digital form.

<Squaresoft King> Guys. GUYS.
<Squaresoft Employees> Sup.
<SK> Atlus is making these things. They're called Shumi Ami Tassen or something.
<SE> Say wut?
<SK> Ya fa rizzle. AnyhwaaaaaaaAAAAdillally, theys got this new thing out called Persona 3, and it's better than us.
<SE> Zounds!
<SK> You like, summon demons. DIGITAL demons. With guns.
<SE> Zoundz times infinity!
<SK> HABEEB IT. So yes, mein Brethren. You know what we need to do.

This doesn't even make sense. What does FFXIII have to Megaten? Summons will always be "summons", despite whatever new "gimmick", or "plot presentation" they will have. It's always be this way.

The being able to sleep thing probably refers to some obscure holiday

I think it justy means that they will putting out all-nighters and getting very little sleep untill it's released.

That farushi and rushi stuff sounds like they're just making crap up.

Will yeah that's the point. It's how they have made every FF game from the first through now, It's called being "creative".

Determination is pretty much the theme of every FF game when you get down to it, except for the first three, where the theme was pretty much just "kill the fuck out of shit" which is why I like them more).

No. The developers have always had different themes in mind when creating the games.

That, or you're literally summoning binary for some reason.

We don't even know what "digtial" means in the context of FFXIII.

You have to wonder though, digital summons? What sort of DRM laws apply to THAT? Maybe that'll be a major plot. Like, the main character is some sort of cracker warez pirate that's cracking warez by programming variables in her androgynous Linux distro.

It's funny that you says this, then mention a series when download monsters though a computer.=/

btw, i seriously don't like this art direction much. Hyperrealistic is boring.

Than why are you here? You comments so far looke like you are trying reason bash SE, for God knows whatever reason. If you don't like that much why bother?

Quote from: "Lucid"

They remind me of the Turks.

I agree.

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
'kay. I'm done. I'm out.

http://www.imageno.com/6upl58w7m66kpic.html

No. Fuck off, this isn't Final Fantasy anymore. This game looks like shit.

Nomura has stated that it was going to be different from a typicial FF game.

Here's interesting fact, during the early days of FFVII's development Sakaguchi original wanted it to take place in a modern world within a metropolitan city that looked like New York, and would be about two brothers. Of cousre as the development of a game progess the concept generally changes. Let's not forget FF:TSW which was written had very few elements (especially the setting) what people would assocaite with the series, despite being his vision of FF.

I'm pretty sure you know that the series have never has never stuck to one setting, otherwise every game would been like FFI instead stuff like FFVI, FFVII, or FFX.

I've personally always wanted to see what a more modern FF would be like, especially since modern type RPG's are very rare. The Megaten series are the only ones I can think of up the top of my head.

I'm interested in Mafia-esque story taking place, which makes the game seem much more original than many of the RPG's out there:

Guns are forbidden in the world of Versus (the guy with the shotgun is said to be a fugitive of some sort).

The location featuring the new female character is inspired by Tokyo's Shinjuku district, with the twin skyscrapers undoubtedly being based on the famed Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building. The other location is based on the Plaza San Marco of Venice, Italy.

There's further confirmation that the game will have a world map, and it'll probably be to a more realistic scale, sorta like FFVIII's.

The guys in the business suits having the meeting in the cathedral-like building are presumably in charge of the kingdom, and I believe were described in the trailer as the "organization which will lead the world to ruin", or something like that. They, along with the rest of the royal family, are supposed to be more like a crime family, and the story itself will have some emphasis on mob drama.

It's implied that the mafioso in the pinstripe suit is probably related to the hero. I'm betting there will probably have some dispute over the throne, if it's as Shakespearean as we're being lead to believe.

Anyway, there's not really much new information, unfortunately. Just generalizations made about the screenshots; the girl looks unhappy when she faces off with the hero, the guy in the white robe appears to be the antagonist, yadda yadda.

That said, they're basically saying that 2008 will be the year when they start to release information, and they plan on having a demo for FFXIII out some time this year.

This was translated by one of the posters on Neogaf, Nomura also mentioned a while back that controllable airships would be in the game along with possibility of Airship Battles.:D

Heres premise official for SE:

The other game being developed exclusively for the PS3 under the Fabula Nova Crystallis project, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, is being headed up by Tetsuya Nomura (Kingdom Hearts fame). The game follows a prince: the last heir to a dynasty that ruled over one of the few remaining cities to still use crystals. Because of its rarity and power, the crystal has become the source for many's lust and passion. One such organization of marauders sought to claim the crystals for themselves. They invaded the Prince's kingdom. Now the Prince is tasked with defending the city.
Wolfrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2008, 06:39:01 AM »

You know, I wonder why the title Fabula Nova Crystallis is getting such a spotlight, compared to the teenie-tinie FFXIII logo. I wonder if SE is experimenting with (or thinking about) pulling the Final Fantasy name. It's unlikely, but you have to admit, someone over there has to be thinking that Final Fantasy XXI just doesn't have a great ring to it.

"I played poker with tarot cards the other night. I got a full house and four people died."
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2008, 08:10:20 AM »

Iron Maw: No. It's not being creative, it's making shit up without any thought to how things sound or whatever. Creativity without proper direction is basically like vomiting on your plate and calling it art. It works only as a statement at a specific time, and that time has long passed (re: Dadaism).

This game looks like balls. Big, wrinkly, BALLS.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2008, 09:42:38 AM »

Quote from: "Iron Maw"
That farushi and rushi stuff sounds like they're just making crap up.

Will yeah that's the point. It's how they have made every FF game from the first through now, It's called being "creative".

"Creative" and "Square Enix."  That's a good one. :P

Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2008, 10:32:36 AM »

Iron Maw: No. It's not being creative, it's making shit up without any thought to how things sound or whatever. Creativity without proper direction is basically like vomiting on your plate and calling it art. It works only as a statement at a specific time, and that time has long passed (re: Dadaism).

This game looks like balls. Big, wrinkly, BALLS.

So, like every FF game since the first huh?

Quote from: "Shiguma"
"Creative" and "Square Enix." That's a good one. :P

Well yeah, and I'm speaking in terms of game design, not IPs. Having FF name has never stop them from doing anything new with it.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2008, 10:43:08 AM »

No, douchebag. The first FF game did look like shit, yes. It was shit, especially next to its contemporary; Phantasy Star. But Final Fantasy 6-10 were all ahead of the curve as far as art direction and (later) graphics were concerned. However, this game in particular looks like fucking BALLS based on the character designs.
Iron Maw

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2008, 11:09:30 AM »

No, douchebag. The first FF game did look like shit, yes. It was shit, especially next to its contemporary; Phantasy Star. But Final Fantasy 6-10 were all ahead of the curve as far as art direction and (later) graphics were concerned. However, this game in particular looks like fucking BALLS based on the character designs.

Hey, what's with the name calling? Anyway, I thought we talking about the whole "Farushi and Rushi" thing not the Character Design. The article translated the interview poorly anyway. Basicially the Farushi and Rushi are just two races that exist in FFXIII the former being a sort of God which is in the form of a Crystal and the later humans.

As far FFvsXIII Art and Characters are concern, it's fine you don't like it. I'm just trying to put into perspective, that it's going to be an FF game set in a modern time, sort of like FFVIII, which had Cars, and such.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2008, 01:47:22 PM »

I must say, I'm a little less excited after seeing the screenshots, but I'll wait for some reviews or playable demos till I fully judge.

Personally, I'm now much more excited about Tales of Vesperia (maybe because the only next gen system i own at the moment is a 360).  Now those guys are the true masters of creative names .

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2008, 03:02:52 PM »

Basicially the Farushi and Rushi are just two races that exist in FFXIII the former being a sort of God which is in the form of a Crystal and the later humans.

Yes, exactly. Do you see the problem with that!?

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Anyway, it's not a matter of cheesy and over-the-top in regards to the art direction. Yes, FFVII had a lot of cheesy and goofy scenes, however A) Cloud was supposed to be some sort of pretentious DICKWEED from the beginning so we're not supposed to be taking him seriously anyway. B) When you do stuff like that with crappy, late-90's CGI and textureless, gouraud shaded polygons, it is, for whatever reason, more acceptable than when you're doing it with really, really realistic (Well, people with vaguely anime, vaguely real proportions and features and realistic looking skin, in any case. Also lots of Realism Fancy Lighting 300) models and backdrops and things.

You have all of this amazing hi-tech technology machinery at your hands and instead of really fantastic, otherworldly locations, the only thing you do with it is... make a game about a guy with a bunch of swords floating around him, full of scenes of punks standing on rooftops walking towards limousines (?).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »

I can't believe I missed this thread until now.

FFXIII looks interesting to me, but primarily because I own a PS3 already. Yes, I want to play the game, but I have my reservations. For one, I really, really hope the battle system gets some kind of overhaul, because the gambit system really didn't do it for me, which excluded me from FFXII completely.

As far as character design goes, they look a little plain, but very modern, and I think that's the point. With that in mind, I like the designs, and the setting. IMO there aren't enough modern/futuristic set RPGs out there, and many of the ones that are tend to sweep you away from the futuristic part early on (SO3). So as far as the story, setting and character designs go, I'm set. I'm just worried about gameplay issues.

Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »

Both games are shaping up fairly well. Better than I anticipated, in fact! The settings and overall style of both games seems intriguing, and I'm eager to see how they'll play. If these continue shaping up the way they are, then these two games and Valkyrie of the Battlefield are enough to satisfy my RPG needs on the PS3.

"Time fades even legend..."
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2008, 07:03:50 PM »

Quote from: "Marshmallow"

FFXIII looks interesting to me, but primarily because I own a PS3 already. Yes, I want to play the game, but I have my reservations. For one, I really, really hope the battle system gets some kind of overhaul, because the gambit system really didn't do it for me, which excluded me from FFXII completely.

Isn't this almost like saying Suikoden is a great series, but the auto-battle features completely kill it for me?  Gambits = GOOD THING.  I'm so pissed off that so many people are calling for the removal of an optional feature in an RPG, one that after having played hundreds of RPG's was awesome to me.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2008, 07:13:59 PM »

I guess what I like about it is that it's modern/futuristic without looking sterile. Most futuristic looking games I've played look very drab and dull. It's an excuse to be lazy and do lots of straight hallways, flat metalic panels, clean utilitarian-looking suits, etc. Some big offenders, among others, are games like Mass Effect and Xenosaga (at least the first... haven't played 2 or 3) which look as if they took place in a hospital.

But FF13 is futuristic without looking sterile. So far, we've seen a lot of outdoor footage, which gives you lots of natural complexities. Outfits are not completely utilitarian looking, and show off some style while (strangely enough for a Final Fantasy) not being too over-the-top. What I've seen I would describe as "classy". From a design perspective, I think they hit the nail on the head, at least for FF13. FFv13, however, I will agree, is a bit cheesy, but no more cheesy than FF7 or parts of FF8 (motorcycles with rocket packs). I see a little TOO much Matrix influence, as if the Matrix hasn't permiated every level of sci-fi video games and movies, as it is.

I've noticed that sci-fi tends to go one of two directions. Designers either seem to think that, as society progresses, we become more utilitarian and less frilly (which isn't true, historically), which gives way to sterile environments. The other extreme is  the 60s sci-fi approach: take the most futuristic looking things in our time (namely, vacuume tubes and flickering lights in the 60s) and just put them everywhere! Then you get walls of blocky computers and photonics... nowadays: holograms.

I appreaciate FF12 for being neither. It has a style of its own, but looks vaugely sci-fi, none-the-less.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2008, 07:53:13 PM »

Environments look cool.  The premise, as has been revealed thus far, seems decent.  But those characters... God.  They look like the were pulled straight out of a GAP advertisement.

Is it SO hard to find a balance between Nomura's S&M bondage gear and this ultra-plain Backstreet Boys and limousines crap?

Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2008, 10:53:15 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Quote from: "Marshmallow"

Isn't this almost like saying Suikoden is a great series, but the auto-battle features completely kill it for me?  Gambits = GOOD THING.  I'm so pissed off that so many people are calling for the removal of an optional feature in an RPG, one that after having played hundreds of RPG's was awesome to me.

Here's the thing, I didn't really see the gambit system as optional. I tried playing the game without the use of gambits, but it just turned into a clusterfuck. Maybe it's just my lack of skill at the game, but I just couldn't get into 12's battle system, with or without gambits.

And to be fair, Suikoden's auto battle was just automatic "attack" for every character, which is what I did most regular battles anyway.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: