Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 05:32:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341042 Posts in 13939 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New FFXIII & Versus Scans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print
Author Topic: New FFXIII & Versus Scans  (Read 32650 times)
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2009, 10:03:17 PM »

Apparently these in game shots are not that new, they're just better quality versions:

http://kotaku.com/5124986/high-quality-in+game-final-fantasy-xiii-gameplay-images
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: January 07, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »

I'm not sure if I love it or hate it. Some of those screenshots remind me of FFXII, which completely turns me off from the game. I really need to see the combat in action.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: January 07, 2009, 03:27:38 PM »

Can't say i'm excited for this, but still willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. That is, to FF13, Versus on the other hand looks like a wank-fest for bishonen fangirls.
Druff

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: January 07, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »

Versus on the other hand looks like a wank-fest for bishonen fangirls.

I couldn't agree more. Ever since the games were announced, it's seemed to me that there always been more excitement about Versus than FFXIII. And all I can think is "Man, there must be even more FF fangirls than I thought..."
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2009, 07:14:13 PM »

I agree with it looking like a fangirl wankfest.

However, there was one thing that really appealed to me about the FFvXIII shots/videos, but I couldn't put my finger on it until this morning. What I realized is that it is one of the only contemporary/near future settings that depicts both urban and "rural" atmospheres in a acceptable manner. FF8 was unique in that it was one of the only places in which the "world" itself felt modern, with roads, trains and global infrastructure. Most sci-fi either take place in space (Xenosaga), have isolated high-tech sites in backwater worlds (Star Ocean, Xenogears), or simply transition from sci-fi to pure fantasy outside of urban dwellings. What I saw in FFvXIII were long stretches of freeways with cars driving along them, along the coast... sorta like hwy 1 in California. It struck me like a ton of bricks that RPGs never have global infrastructure, with the single exception of FF8. Maybe that's one of the main reasons I think so highly of that game.

However, what I saw looked TOO MUCH like the FF7 spinoffs. The guys in black looked just like the Turks, even including a Rude'y-dude with bald head. I have yet to play the FF7 spinoffs, and honestly, the Turks were one of my favorite concepts from that game (there's a surprisingly small amount of RPGs with evil CIA/MIB type organizations) but it seemed like FFvXIII was pandaring to the FF7 throwback crowd, which I didn't appreciate.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: January 07, 2009, 08:27:19 PM »

Well, FF13 and versus are meant to bring make the "magic" of FF7 so there shouldn't be much surprise if you spot similarities in the game.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2009, 09:03:56 PM »

It struck me like a ton of bricks that RPGs never have global infrastructure, with the single exception of FF8. Maybe that's one of the main reasons I think so highly of that game.
Phantasy Star II says hi.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: January 08, 2009, 09:13:45 AM »

Despite earlier hoo-haa'ing about the game's look, I'm probably going to reserve judgement on the main title until later. Versus still looks like neo-bishie boyband garbage, but the central title may yet impress me.

As to global infrastructure, it depends on the game I suppose. One could at least argue FFTactics had something resembling this, as did Phantasy Star II and Final Fantasy X. Policenauts and Snatcher did, though they were largely conveyed from a first-person point of view, and so did games like The Syndicate (though I can't recall if we'd consider that an RPG, I just remember enjoying it).
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: January 08, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »

Meh, Final Fantasy X didn't have infrastructure in any way close to the way FF8 did, or in any modern sense. Most people were still travelling by foot or by caravan and the communities were largely tribal or fudel, and information was past by word of mouth or rumor. FF8 has mass transit, an obvious middle class, media, presidents / dictators (as apposed to monarchies / theocracies), and long-range radio/television that isn't magical. Truely a 20th-century styled setting both in and outside of major cities. I think the thing that really separates it is the spread of information in a very modern sense.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: January 08, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »

...Is Lightning /supposed/ to be a transexual, cause it really looks like she's a man.  (baby.)

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 08, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »

...Is Lightning /supposed/ to be a transexual, cause it really looks like she's a man.  (baby.)

That's mostly because her predecessors weren't much more manly.
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2009, 05:52:19 PM »

Well, She is supposed to be the female version of Cloud so....
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2009, 06:27:24 PM »

Way to put words into the developers mouth.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »

Way to put words into the developers mouth.

EGM:  What can you tell us about the heroine of FFXIII?
Motomu Toriyama: We can't tell you all the details, unfortunately. Looking at the history of the FF series, there were already female main characters, like in FFVI, FFX, and FFX-2. This time, one of the characteristics of this heroine is that she's not that feminine. I tried to make her someone very strong, independent. When I asked Mr. Nomura to design this character, I requested someone like a female version of Cloud from FFVII.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2009, 08:02:57 PM »

Ooops, sorry, I missed that. You are right.

Darn, that's disappointing, I found cloud to be very bland. But that was probably just because that they weren't very successful at writing him as an interesting character the way they were able to with FF6 characters, Squall, or Zidane. It would have been possible to create a character like Cloud that was very appealing and interesting. But maybe this is just wishfull thinking.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: