Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 03:51:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331565 Posts in 13575 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PSP RPG Reccomendation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: PSP RPG Reccomendation  (Read 3091 times)
D'yer Mak'er

View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2008, 05:34:01 PM »

I don't know if reccomendation threads are frowned upon here or not, if they are I apologize.

Anyway, I bought a PSP a couple weeks ago and I need a good RPG for it. I was looking at a game called Brave Story, it looked interesting.

Do you guys have any thoughts or opinions on it? Or perhaps other reccomendations?

"It's too bad she won't live....but then again, who does?"
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:37:56 PM »

I've been after Brave Story for awhile, but my backlog is so massive, I can't be arsed to get it just yet.

I'd recommend Jeanne d'Arc though, especially if you like Strategy.  It has some interesting characters, nice streamlined SRPG combat, bright graphics, and a fun twist on the story of the 100 Years War.

I like the idea of English soldiers being goblins and demons.  :P

Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 06:14:38 PM »

What kind of RPG?  Turn based?  Action?  Strategy?  Because if the PSP library and our reviews section are any indication, there is a workable RPG selection for PSP in all those subgenres.  

Brave Story is not an RPG that will revolutionize the way you look at RPGs or anything like that, but it's probably one of the strongest RPGs on the PSP right now that's not a remake or port.  If you missed Valkyrie Profile on the PSone, then definitely pick up Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth on PSP.  That's one port that was actually done relatively well.  Other remakes and ports have not fared so well (i.e. Ys: Ark of Napishtim with its frequent and lengthy load times between screens.)    

The one game I recommend above all others for PSP is Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles.  Rondo of Blood in the US and a reworked Symphony of the Night in one package is pretty good.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:46:47 PM »

I found Brave Story to be rather dull, but that's me. The only RPGs for the PSP that I can recommend at this point are Disgaea and Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. With Disgaea as my favored game.
D'yer Mak'er

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:48:40 PM »

I was just looking for a basic turn-based JRPG. (Are there any other kind?)  For me, every game I play doesn't need to be "revolutionary". I'm pretty much satisfied with games that are merely good.

Also, I looked at Valkyrie Profile briefly. What sort of gameplay does it have?

On a side note, people are always telling me how good Castlevania games are, and I've even tried to play them on more than one occasion. But for some reason I just can't get into them. I don't know, I suppose they're just not my thing.

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 07:05:54 PM »

Well, for Valkyrie Profile the basic battle system is you assign a character to a button, square, triangle, etc, and have them carry out a certain attack with that button. Of course it gets deeper than that with combos, character abilities and such. Standard RPG stuff. The battle system is pretty fast paced and fun to play out. It's a decent game, I didn't find it amazing, just decent enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14cKHuVHsRI

Not very good quality, I just picked it up for the first thing that came up. That's just a basic battle, pretty early in the game I believe.
Lord Dorkus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:57:09 PM »

Though it isn't considered to be basic ,if you haven't played it already on the PS2 I would suggest getting Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness. I haven't beat it yet(Taking my sweet time with it.) but it is a fantastic game IMO.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:30:38 AM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
I've been after Brave Story for awhile, but my backlog is so massive, I can't be arsed to get it just yet.
I can only ever find that for $50. :(

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 08:14:20 AM »

You may enjoy PoPoLoCrois as well.  I wasn't thrilled by it, but it's a fun and cute JRPG.  I probably wouldn't have paid full price for it, but for the 9 bucks I paid for it in the bargain bin, it was a good value.  

One turn based PSP RPG I would avoid like the plague is Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner.  My review says why and most gaming outlets didn't like it either, http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/929838.asp

EDIT: And in the coming months and years, the RPG libraries of the PSP and DS will improve.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:58 AM »

And of course FFT has not yet been mentioned,

JP
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:47:14 AM »

I second Jeanne d'Arc, though it's a strat-RPG. It's a beautiful game visually and has some basic gameplay mechanics that are not hard to grasp. I also recommend Final Fantasy Tactics.

D'yer Mak'er

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 02:34:42 PM »

I think I'm going to go for either Brave Story or Disgaea. Thanks very much guys!

Quote from: "Lard"
Quote from: "Losfer"

I can only ever find that for $50. :(

http://www.amazon.com/Xseed-Games-00105-Brave-Story/dp/B000R39IKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1201030144&sr=1-1

Wolfrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 03:04:03 PM »

Astonisha Story is something you should probably steer clear of as well. It's not awful (then again my tolerance for bad RPGs is pretty high) but it's just so absolutely run of the mill.

It does have a weird, anarchic, post-modern sense of humor though, which I find to be its only real redeeming quality.

"I played poker with tarot cards the other night. I got a full house and four people died."
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 04:36:50 PM »

Quote from: "Wolfrider"
Astonisha Story is something you should probably steer clear of as well. It's not awful (then again my tolerance for bad RPGs is pretty high) but it's just so absolutely run of the mill.

Man, I got that game for just $10 and I was STILL a bit disappointed.  I got to the final boss and got my head handed to me on a plate, so I just quit playing.  Wasn't interested in going back and level grinding.

If you're looking for turn-based stuff, others have already given the recommendations I would give.  Disgaea, FFT, and I haven't played Jeanne, but always hear good stuff about it.  Given the other great stuff out there, I'd stay away from the just OK Dungeons & Dragons Tactics.

If you can bring yourself to try an action RPG, Marvel Ultimate Alliance was awesome.

I couldn't get into the Castlevania games either - guess not every game is for everybody, even if it's a great one.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 05:41:32 PM »

Quote from: "D'yer Mak'er"

I appreciate the link, but Amazon won't ship games to Canada.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: