Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 06:22:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341238 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  PSP RPG Reccomendation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: PSP RPG Reccomendation  (Read 3153 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 05:54:50 PM »

Quote from: "Lard"
I appreciate the link, but Amazon won't ship games to Canada.

Ummm, you could buy this instead?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2008, 06:00:02 PM »

Hey! I didn't know that was out! Thanks.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Wolfrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2008, 07:36:26 PM »

I just realized what your avatar was.... ew.... ew.

"I played poker with tarot cards the other night. I got a full house and four people died."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »

Quote from: "Wolfrider"

I just realized what your avatar was.... ew.... ew.

You are officially the slowest person on the forums. BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST LEMONADE!

Also, fun fact about the Brave Story book: it's translated by Alexander O. Smith. I've got it but haven't seriously read it, I still need to finish Exodus from the Long Sun.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2008, 03:06:03 AM »

It's not exactly your typical turn-based JRPG, but have you tried Puzzle Quest? It combines bejeweled with RPG-elements and it is one of the most addictive games I've ever played.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2008, 03:49:43 AM »

There's a bug in the PSP version apparantly.

Eusis - cut him some slack, he just joined.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2008, 05:07:44 AM »

You don't get companion bonuses, but that doesn't really affect the gameplay.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2008, 05:10:31 AM »

I thought the bug actually stopped the companions from helping you during battles?

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2008, 05:37:03 AM »

It does, but companions don't really do that much. They can give a mana-bonus at the start of battle or let you do extra damage against certain kinds of enemies. The game is perfectly playable and enjoyable without it. And IIRC the DS version has some bugs as well.
Wolfrider

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2008, 11:04:28 AM »

That's right, I get to be stupid for at least another month! :P

As for Puzzle Quest, how much of an RPG is it? Are there towns, dungeons etc you can visit and the puzzles just take the place of turn-based battles, or is it basically just a puzzle game with a cute RPG finish?

"I played poker with tarot cards the other night. I got a full house and four people died."
Nymphomatic

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »

I haven't invested in too many PSP games yet. But I did buy the system for PoPoLoCrois, which I love. It's a very simple adventure coming of age story and stars a charming collection of characters. It's also really sheap and worth the $20 especially considering it's two games bundled in one.

I also really liked the Legend of Heroes series, of which there's three available for the system. Movement's... slippery with the analog stick but it's forgivable as I quite like the rest of the game.

I also own Chaos Seed, but hated it. I didn't realize what kind of game it was when I bought it. I was expecting a Disgaea type strategy game and instead it's all overworld tactical battles without any real character manipulation. Kind of reminded me vaguely of Ogre Battle.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2008, 01:23:30 PM »

Quote from: "Wolfrider"

That's right, I get to be stupid for at least another month! :P

As for Puzzle Quest, how much of an RPG is it? Are there towns, dungeons etc you can visit and the puzzles just take the place of turn-based battles, or is it basically just a puzzle game with a cute RPG finish?

Towns: Yes there are, but they don't have many options. I guess you could compare them to the towns in Vandal Hearts or Fire Emblem. Using the menu you can shop, talk to people in the tavern, forge items etc.

Dungeons: No, just battles on the map. There are story battles and random battles. The whole game is quest-based, but it does have a rather linear storyline.

Stats & Skills: They are certainly there and they are important as well. Stats effect the effects of matching gems. You're stats improve when you level up and you learn skills that way once in a while too. You can also learn skills from captured enemies. Oh en at the beginning of the quest you get to pick a class for your character: Wizard, Warrior, Knight or Druid.

Story: The story-mode is actually pretty long, even if you skip all the text it should take you atleast 15 hours to finish it. The story is pretty generic RPG fare, but it is fun enough.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »

I tried playing Puzzle Quest as a few different classes and noticed big difference in how their skills affect the game.  Both versions do have bugs, but from what I can read, the DS version's bugs are more performance-based.  Weird numbers showing up, big lag time on certain events, that kind of thing.  Frankly, after seeing what the companion skills do, I didn't feel like missing them was that big a deal.  Also, from what I've read, the DS controls are more difficult because the gems are smaller (and therefore hard to hit with your stylus) and can be harder to distinguish from each other.

I really enjoyed Puzzle Quest - the battles are fun, and using your skills well can make a huge difference in your success.  There are several different gameplay modes that let you improve your character, and they're fun too.  As an "audition" for writing for RPG Fan, I actually wrote a review of the PSP version and gave it an 85%.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 04:29:04 AM »

85% is a good score, I think. I saw OPM UK give it a 5/10.

Gently hypnotic stuff, but fight a dozen super-intelligent skeletons and you'll soon be yearning for the simple pleasures of "Lumines." [Mar 2007, p.111]

The skeletons are not super-intelligent, you just suck at Puzzle Quest OPM reviewer <_<

Though the AI is usually just as lucky as the player, it does not cheat and it is not too intelligent. I have seen a lot of people complain about the difficulty, but the AI is fairly easy to beat. Start with a knight or warrior and the difficulty level will be just right. Druids and mages are for more experienced players.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: