Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 03:35:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341235 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  No More Heroes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: No More Heroes  (Read 3004 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:25:09 PM »

It's out this week, who else is getting it? This looks like the kinda game the Wii needs, but then I was a fan of Killer7 so this had my interest from the minute I heard of its existence.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:03:45 PM »

Unless it gets phenomenal reviews it's a long rental for me. It's very hard to justify $50 for a game these days, especially if I'm only going to play it once. I am looking forward to playing it, I just don't think I'll end up buying it.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 11:41:31 PM »

It seems meaty enough to purchase to me an anyway it's one of those niche games that needs those sales, but I can see why you'd rather just rent it. Anyways, for those that care 4 color rebellion has a review up.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 02:43:17 AM »

If reviews are good, this might be the game that tips me into a Wii purchase.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:59:09 AM »

Hell yeah I am. The man in my avatar is the main character, Travis Touchdown. I've been looking forward to this for a long time, since it was first unveiled. I'm stoked it's for Wii as well. Despite its non-existent sales in Japan, I'm hopeful that it will sell a lot better here.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 04:41:41 PM »

When I looked earlier today, its average on metacritic was 90 - pretty great, even though there were only 4 reviews.  I watched a video review and liked the way they made the whole lightsaber thing work (there's a cap on the end that extends out on a rod rather than just a beam of hard light that extends an arbitrary distance).  Oh, and the game looked pretty fun, too. :D

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 05:30:21 PM »

I'm gonna pick it up sometime shortly.  Maybe when I can find it used.  I never like spending too much on an action game.

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:16:44 PM »

9.0 from GameSpot. Take that as you will.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:21:38 AM »

Quote from: "superflat"

Well, I guess Kevin Van Ord isn't getting fired!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 08:52:48 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
Quote from: "superflat"

Well, I guess Kevin Van Ord isn't getting fired!

I miss when GameSpot had a good reputation, I have no idea if he really feels that way or not. :(

In fact, I think Ubi Soft's one of those that would seriously pressure for good reviews, look at how they blackballed Ziff Davis over bad Assassin's Creed reviews (or probably just review, hello there 4.0!)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 06:59:21 PM »

I picked it up yesterday.  Being a huge fan of Killer7 AND Contact, I am totally loving No More Heroes.  

The open world portion of the game doesn't bother me at all, like the reviews I've read suggested it would.  The trips you make are extremely short, and Travis' bike looks awesome... it's just "cool".

The gameplay makes you feel like you're the shit.

Anyway, having grown up subscribing to punk beliefs/styles, I may be kind of a sucker here, but Killer7 and Contact sold me on their own merits, so I feel grasshopper's "punk video game band" vibe completely.  You will find similarities between all three games, which is a good thing in my opinion.  I hope they continue making games like this.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 08:14:10 PM »

Meh, I really detested Killer 7, and I sold my Wii. So I'm not gonna get this and I can't get this even if I wanted to.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:15 PM »

Me, I'm kinda the anti-punk... growing up on a heavy dose of classical music, fusion jazz, metal, and progrock. You could say I'm very pro-establishment... just not the one we've had during my lifetime.

So that being said, No More Heros isn't looking like my kinda thing.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 10:32:33 PM »

It's a lot more coherent than Killer7 (doesn't take much), if that's what you didn't like.

Prime Mover, the music you're listing actually fits you into this definition of "punk".  Without going too far into this subject, all it implies is wild originality.  I'd post a quote from Bad Religion's frontman about how a punk can be anyone from a street urching to a college professor, but apparently he really is a college professor now and that fact is clouding my search results :P

No More Heroe's doesn't treat "punk" like a fad.  If that is what you're thinking, don't let that dissuade you.  Tchaikovsky 4 seasons was in my cd collection as a boy too.  The point is that the majority opinion at my school was that classical music was 'gay'.

Bleh.  I think I'm digging myself a hole.  Time to let someone actually comment on the gameplay :P

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Alucard von Elru

alucardvonelru@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 11:42:04 PM »

Seriously, No More Heroes is just about the only appealing thing to me for the Wii. There are some other games that look fun, but they aren't motivating factors. In order for me to purchase a Wii (or any console, really) it needs to have at least three games that I'm drooling over. Currently the Wii has ONE. :P But hey, if Grasshopper and Suda 51 keep putting out Wii titles now, I'll have to purchase one! ;)

"Time fades even legend..."
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: