Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 10:13:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334494 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Instruments you own
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Instruments you own  (Read 2503 times)
Adapheon
The original hobo with a shotgun

summersdemise@yahoo.com Kal+Imith
View Profile

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:37:21 AM »

I'm sure it's been done before but I went back few pages and didn't see anything. There seems to be a lot of musicians so I'm just wondering.

I have 5 guitars.

3 electric: a fender squire, bc rich warlock plantinum series and a rhodes rr3 V with eerie dess swirl finish (I love the V to death)

2 acoustic: just a full body something or other 6 string and a travel acoustic guitar, basically a full neck with a mini body. I like it, the low e hits the first fret and buzzes a bit but it's easy to play and doesn't take up much space.

Wish I had something other than guitars but just haven't gotten around to getting any.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:11 AM »

One Tama drumkit.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:59:28 AM »

I have:

1 Bass - A starter Fender Squire thingy. He's called Bread, because he's the simple bread and butter of bass guitars. I quite like him.

1 Electric Guitar - A ridiculously cheap and crappy generic knock-off, called Thorkell, after a viking who helped defend England from other vikings. He failed.

1 Nylon-stringed Guitar - It's older than me :P It was my Dad's, and I found it not long ago in the attic. Because it's from the attic, I've called it Bertha. A cookie to whoever spots the literary reference.

1 Keyboard - Again, horrendously cheap and crappy. Brilliant for making stupid YouTube videos though :P

1 Drum Machine thingy - One of the drum machines that you hit pads to simulate the real thing. It's not bad. It's not particularly good.

I own a lot of instruments, but I don't really play any of them :P I'd love to play the drums, but it's just too hard to learn on the drum machine, and I can't get a full kit.

Anyway, the bass is getting a bit of use at the moment, I'm playing it in a live gig next month.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:55:38 AM »

http://www.geocities.com/nc6566 has all my musical gear.  

Long and short of it:  
1) 1997 Warwick Corvette Standard 4-string bass modified with Seymour Duncan pickups and passive electronics (I didn't like the stock MEC electronics and am not a fan of active electronics.)  Her name is Artemis Moon.  I don't have any pics of her with the Duncans yet.  

2) 1990 Tama Rockstar drumkit with AA Meinl MC5 cymbals.  

Whole bunch of amps and a PA system.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 10:27:58 AM »

*stretches fingers*

One Gibson SG
One Fender Standard Strat
One Jackson of indeterminate make or origin
One BC Rich Bronze Warlock
One BC Rich Virgin
One Takamine acoustic guitar
One Epiphone Les Paul
One Squier Fat Strat
One Fender Precision bass guitar

I know what you old timers are thinking:  where's the rest?  I sold most of them to help pay off student loans. :P  And even out of the ones I have left, three of them have been out on loan for years to poor guitarist friends of mine, so they might as well not be up there. :P

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 05:28:26 PM »

My uncle had a Takamine acoustic...  Sold it for booze after his wife died though.  He said it played pretty good though.  :P

Anyway, I have an Epiphone Explorer in need of being surpassed by a real guitar.  Unfortunately that won't be for a bit as I have lots of other things to quell first like paying off a credit card, moving, possibly getting an automobile...

Also have a Yamaha keyboard.  Not sure the name of it, but it's not bad for a starting level keyboard.  I don't really play it much at all.

I've been contemplating making the switch to a real Gibson Explorer or maybe going the Jackson or ESP route.  I wanted to get a BC Rich Iron Bird for ages, but every single Rich I've played has been of such low quality, I can't justify "it looks cool" over "it plays like shit".

And it seems that lots of Extreme Metal guitarists play ESP, so I know despite my slamming the strings the way I do, the machine should stay in one piece.  :P

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »

DR, I still remember you saying one time that you actually had a babysitting job to buy that SG.  I cannot for the life of me imagine you with kids, but it sure makes a good story.  That's part of the reason I love my bass- it has a story.  The previous owner had a good story with it and was heartbroken to sell it (but had to due to getting an endorsement deal with another company).

Vanguard

I am America, and I hate JRPGs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 07:50:51 PM »

I have my starter Dean Les Paul still, but haven't played it in years.

I also have a fretless Squire Double Fat Strat. No, I don't mean a bass. I pried all the frets off with a pocket knife and use it to play slide noise guitar.

Epiphone Les Paul. This is my guitar I use to play shows or do anything electric.

I also have a Peavey Fury Bass. I usually don't play it. Mostly because I broke a string and I'm too cheap to replace it.

My younger sister has a nice Aria acoustic guitar that spends most of its time in my room.

Thoren: Astronomers fucking love stars and shit. Whitman was a bitch.
Hidoshi: Walt Whitman could beat you with both dicks tied behind his back.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »

So Vanguard, what did you fill the fret slots with?  Wood putty? Veneers?  I know there's a guy called H.G. Thor in upstate NY who specializes in defretting instruments and giving them this sweet epoxy coating so the fingerboard doesn't get all chewed up; kinda like what Jaco did.  

Man, how is it playing a fretless guitar?  My first instinct on it is that a fretless guitar would be an intonation nightmare, especially if you dive bomb on a tremolo.  Although you could probably get some really good glissandos and rock those semitones like in Arabic or Indian music.

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 08:16:13 PM »

I didn't fill them in. I thought I would have to, but the frets were so small that it plays just as smooth as a fretted guitar. Actually, de-fretting the guitar was pretty easy once I figured it out.

I generally don't play in standard tuning with it. I tend to use homebrewed tunings. Surprisingly, it holds tuning pretty well. However, it does not sound like a guitar "should" sound anymore. The only thing that it lost was its sustain, which being a Squire, wasn't much to begin with.

I would not use a tremolo on it. Playing it is actually quite fun, but it's different. A lot of things you could do on a normal guitar you can't, but the opposite is also true. One of the coolest things you can is write these really surf styled punk rock songs that have this slightly off kilter sound. Since all the chords are so easy to slide, it's very well suited. Other sounds tend toward Eastern instruments (Zither, Sitar) to the very ambient.

One of the ideas I haven't tried yet is to slide a screwdriver or something equivalent under the strings at a certain fret to alter the timber. Then I want to mount something that vibrates right at the bridge. Staples sells something that will work, it's like a tripod back massager thing that fits in your hand. I then want to take a metal slide and vibrate the chords out. I could ditch the slide to vary the chords a little more too.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

Cool.  I've always been told that leaving fret slots unfilled can cause warping in the neck, especially if you live in extreme climates.  And, yeah, on a lot of cheaper guitars, the frets are just clamped into their kerfs whereas on more expensive instruments, they're actually glued or epoxied into them.

A fretless bass would be cool, but I tend to dig, I like to slap sometimes, and I like steel roundwound strings, so I'd chew up a fingerboard too easily.

Vanguard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »

Yeah, it was a steal too. I got it for $80.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: