Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 09:44:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338010 Posts in 13838 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 111 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan Gaming Journal: The Road to Infinity  (Read 143514 times)
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2008, 02:32:53 AM »

I finished off Soul Nomad the other day, and polished off the "evil" side of the storyline as well in a few hours or so. Man o' war, the evil story was twenty times better than the actual one. I was laughing m head off at how ridiculous it was, which is surprising, since Gig didn't have all that many funny quotes. Galahad was definitely the star of the show. :P

Anyway, now that that's all done, I'm not really sure what I'll be starting up next. Since Grandia isn't working on my PS2, I might just pick up one of my abandoned save files from a game I have yet to complete. Phantom Brave, Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland, Ephemeral Fantasia...?

On second thought, maybe I'll take a break from games for a while.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2008, 08:50:19 AM »

Quote from: "Sketch"
I finished off Soul Nomad the other day...

I really liked Disgaea - do you think I should play Soul Nomad (assuming I find the time)?

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
Finished up Kabukicho Prison and Ikebukuro Tunnel.  The prison was pretty sweet, with the mirage aspect of it basically turning it into a new dungeon.  Felt kind of Zelda-ish, but it was cool.

Ikebukuro Tunnel on the other hand was rather lame.  Didn't have too much trouble with it, but I get annoyed by enemies that continuously reproduce themselves.  I managed to get Mana Drain on my main character, so I've just been Tornadoing everything I come across and then Mana Drain to get all my MP back.  My main healing demon also replinishes mana everytime I walk around, so it's been fairly easy thus far.

To answer your question Daschrier, I find Nocturne to be easier because it's far more open-ended from the very start of the game.  Whereas in Persona 3 I would be stuck on a boss until I managed to find all the Personae I need to fuse something capable of destroying the boss, I have various options of from the start of the game with Nocturne.  Also, it is true that you exploit weaknesses to make Persona 3 easier, but in Nocturne I can completely void the enemies turns with the right demons.  All Out Attacks were pretty strong, but Voiding enemy turns makes Nocturne easier, imo.  Once again, I'm only about 15 hours into the game so this is not my final opinion.

I can see that, but I guess I spent many hours trying to make every persona possible so I always had the right arsenal available to me.
Why I also feel that P3 wasn't as hard, is that in Nocturne and the DDS games, state enhancing/decreasing skills were almost neccessary. I never used these in P3.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2008, 11:49:09 AM »

I checked out the DMC4 demo last night. At first I though they dropped the difficulty down but then I checked out the second part of the demo and got my ass handed to me a couple of times. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2008, 05:01:08 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"
I really liked Disgaea - do you think I should play Soul Nomad (assuming I find the time)?

One of the reasons I found Disgaea so amazing was its signature sense of humor. While I don't think Soul Nomad is amywhere near as funny (creatively speaking), it still has its moments, so if you're into games that don't really take themselves too seriously (like Disgaea), you'll probably like Soul Nomad. The storyline surrounding that humor, in my opinion, was horrible, and had stupid, nonsensical plot twists, although there were a few memorble characters. Gig (the main character, more or less) was the one reason I finished the game to the end. He has some of the best quotes I've heard a character sputter out, so I think that witnessing him alone is worth the price of admission. :P

The gameplay is passable, but I found that once I figured out how to abuse the game system and beef up my characters' levels well into the 100s, the game got so much more enjoyable. It was definitely satisfying to absolutely destroy everyone in Disgaea, and it's more of the same with Soul Nomad (with a less addicting battle system, mind you).

All in all, it's just a less enjoyable Disgaea. If that was a perfect 10, then this is a 6 or 7 at best. But again, Gig is a fantastic character, so it might be worth it just to check him out. :P
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2008, 06:45:01 PM »

GOD DAMN IT.

I dropped the new PS2 on the floor.  :P

(Still works though, but what the fuck.)

Started up Alter Code F as I stayed home due to flu today and couldn't get FFXII fixed.  It's retty cool.  For obvious reasons, it reminds me of a cross between the first and third games.

Alexander
Easy Bake Covenant

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2008, 08:21:23 PM »

Finished Arbiter's Grounds in Twilight Princess.  After I got the Spinner, the dungeon became ridiculously fun. Upon skimming several walkthroughs, I realized how big this game really is and how far I have to go to see the end credits.

Behold, the greatest taco in the history of the world! http://tacostothelimit.ytmnd.com/
[Previously known as Miilou Suede]
acornthief.tumblr.com
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2008, 10:22:55 PM »

I've been playing StarFox 64 a lot during my downtime from homework. I'm currently five medals away from unlocking expert mode. I need medals for Aquas, Zoness, Solar, Macbeth, and Sector Z, and then I'm good to go.

I forgot how much I love this game.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2008, 12:19:10 PM »

I gave up on Assassin's Creed.
The game is unplayable and the story sucks.

I thought I might finish Persona 3 before I went back overseas on Sunday, but it doesn't look like I will. I've been playing it on PS3, and I don't have a thingie to exchange saves from memory cards, so I guess I'll just start over when I get there. :(

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »

Started Metroid Prime.  Can't say I'm digging it at all.  I'll give it a bit more time though.

Alter Code F is pretty great.  Got everyone into one party after going through everyone's prologue.  Just met the first golem.

Got FFXII resurfaced, so let's see what happens when I get home.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2008, 06:41:41 PM »

I beat Izuna today!

Definitely my favorite DS game. Can't wait to get my ass kicked by that bonus dungeon.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2008, 07:01:41 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Started Metroid Prime.  Can't say I'm digging it at all.  I'll give it a bit more time though.

I'm not much for shooters in general, but I loved the first metroid prime.  Depending on how long you exactly played, I don't think it really changes all that much in the upcoming hours.  Just more MP goodness imho.

Anyways, I've still been playing Mass Effect.  A part of me wants to wait till I get a lcd hdtv to put more serious time into it, but I don't feel like waiting a few months.  I got to Vilmire where...

Code:
Wrex got all pissy about some antidote.  I ended up killing him.  I assume he would have stayed loyal, oh well =P

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2008, 08:28:32 PM »

Quote from: "Akanbe-"
Anyways, I've still been playing Mass Effect.  A part of me wants to wait till I get a lcd hdtv to put more serious time into it, but I don't feel like waiting a few months.  I got to Vilmire where...

Code:
Wrex got all pissy about some antidote.  I ended up killing him.  I assume he would have stayed loyal, oh well =P

I think I've given up on Mass Effect. I was just past that point when I stopped, and I was pretty unimpressed with the game as a whole. There was just no momentum, no drama. It didn't help that my game screwed up and I had to slog through Noveria TWICE!

I gave Western RPGs a shot... now I can get back to Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Steambot Chronicals, which I'm enjoying a hell of a lot more of.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

I agree about the drama part.  There just feels like something is missing.

What was wrong with your game that it screwed up?  I'm just curious since I noticed my save was screwed up today too.  Luckily my backup auto save worked fine otherwise i would have been totally screwed.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Losfer
The Pope

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2008, 10:01:25 PM »

FFXII WORKS.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 111 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: